Honest feedback and constructive criticism of Continuum

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
While I may not be the biggest proponent of Continuum, I feel that there was a lot of potential here, and so instead of venting spleen in a toxic or hostile manner, I want to give a point-by-point feedback to the developers on my personal experience and viewpoints on several design considerations in a reasoned and peaceful discourse.

I feel that there's a lot to be gained by exploring and examining what went right and what went wrong with Continuum, something which all pack developers everywhere can learn from, both the merits and the flaws.

So, without further ado, permit me to begin:

I believe I should start with the white elephant in the room: the timesinks. Specifically the half hour (later mitigated down to... what was it, fifteen or even ten minutes?) on a couple of the crafts, using that new mod. One that caused quite the kerfluffle amongst the community and had... plenty of negative things to say about it.

I won't try to defend it, but instead I will point out that it wasn't all bad. The multiblock was a phenomenal idea, and one I really enjoyed and encourage other pack developers take note of. It doesn't have to be used as a timed roadblock, but the fact that you can have multiple fluids in multiple tanks in the same block-by-block built multiblock structure means that you can have FAR more complex recipes than Continuum had using this method. Really, Continuum only scratched the surface of what this mod can do, and I feel that part of it was perhaps overused and caused much consternation which left the rest of the elegance largely ignored, which I find quite tragic.

I feel that this mod shouldn't have been early-game, I feel that it should have been mid-game, or perhaps even early-late game. Instead of being used as a harsh gate, it should have been used as a way of crafting very complex and involved recipes, something higher-tiered. For example, consider Enderium. To craft it requires resonant ender, plus tin, silver, and platinum dust. But it uses that klunky idea of needing the bucket of resonant ender. What if, instead, you created a recipe which required a bucket's worth of resonant ender in a tank, plus the required metal dusts? If Same goes with flux-infused stuff, which could be crafted in a similar manner, requiring a certain amount of liquid redstone in a tank for the craft to proceed.

Suddenly, instead of being used as a gate, it's being used as a crafting table plus, which I believe was its original intent. And machine operations that were there to require an energy investment can be replaced by the RF requirements already built into the mod. It could've gone a great deal towards being an all-in-one crafting system, a fantastic and complex multiblock that the player creates one block at a time, and constantly builds upon and improves upon as he progresses. That idea, that concept, is a fantastic one, and one I hope shows up again in other packs.

The next topic I want to broach is resource generation and acquisition. One of the things Continuum did was halve the amount of wood from each log and halve the amount of sticks from each two planks, right from the start, as a way to incentivise the early reach for the lumber mill. However, I feel that it wasn't very properly handled, because all that did was make people chop down twice to four times as many trees to perform the same early-game task. In other words, it wasn't something that really benefited the pack excessively, it was just an early-game grind, and one which doesn't really contribute to an interesting gameplay style, merely a grindy one.

Instead, I would do something similar to TFC's method of logs, chopping down a tree with an axe yields logs, which can be split with an axe to make Lumber, but you need the lumber mill to make planks. Lumber could be used for some things, like building structures or being chopped into sticks, but you need planks for constructing anything higher-tech.

Furthermore, to keep wood production relevant into the mid and late game, I'd bake in wood requirements into everything you do, so that you will always need a consumption of wood to get things made. An easy way to do this is to require charcoal, not coal or coal coke, to produce steel, or something similar to that effect. Maybe require two charcoal to fuel one iron ingot's transformation into a steel ingot in a blast furnace. Now for every piece of steel, you need two logs. This is a MUCH better way of mitigating excessive resource hoarding syndrome, instead of simply halving or quartering the amount of resources you get. This requires that you set up automated logging, automated smelting into charcoal, and automated charcoal getting to the blast furnace. Which is a system and a process which requires thought and infrastructure built to facilitate. And once it is done, you can move on to your next project.

Automating a resource should be something that might require planning, or even pre-planning how it will be upgraded in the future, but instead of trying to punish a player for doing it, make it required and expected, and make things expensive enough that it will be assumed that the resources will be automated to get things done in a timely manner.

By that same token, instead of making ores more rare, and requiring more boring and grindy branch mining to get, increase the costs involved in making higher tech items. This is, again, where Efab can come to the rescue. By requiring more complex crafting recipes, perhaps ones with more complex subcombines, you increase the amount of materials required to craft things, so that the user feels like he is accomplishing something instead of simply beating his head against a brick wall as he spends a half hour branch mining at a certain Y level to find a certain ore he needs to proceed. In fact, I could see some form of auto-mining be relatively early-access, much like Factorio does, but at a relatively slow but consistent rate. Maybe have different auto-miners for different ores or resources. Make automation the key thing the player is doing instead of crafting. And if you can set up Efab to do sub-combines, that would be a real boon.

You don't want your player either grinding resources or staring at a crafting grid as the vast majority of the gameplay, because that gets boring (digging pun unintentional) and repetitive. You want the player *engaged* in doing something. You want him building, or planning, or expanding, or seeking... something that keeps him not just playing but actively engaged and enjoying themselves. Which is why, even as you increase the cost and the subcombines, you should also give automation options early on so that he can simply keep the subcombines going so the recipes themselves don't take him particularly long to accomplish. You want him to be able to set up a stockpile of components, so that the actual crafting of the item itself won't take too long. If the player is saying something like "Once I got the automation infrastructure down, these things were a breeze to make!", then you're doing something very right.

In fact, you can set up 'soft' progression tiers based on resource consumption, instead of 'hard' progression locks that require specific items to unlock. If it's going to take you a half a stack of iron, a stack of wood, a half a stack of redstone, and eight or so gold to produce this thingy... well, now you know what you need to set up as automation in order to get going with that. And automating the iron, gold, and redstone is going to be needed for *other* things as well, so best have it set up in a modular manner, because you're *going* to want more throughput later. I mean, sure you might be able to make *one* item manually, eventually, but the mod pack will assume that you will automate a given task as soon as you are able to, so making a single item is going to be less useful than being able to crank out a given item every half a minute or so in order to be able to make the next thing. Think Factorio.

In conclusion, Continuum, as it stands, fell victim to the common 'expert' trope of 'make it grindy'. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that it was 'bad', so much as it needed some more refinement, and perhaps a slightly different direction to go with some of the mods, especially Efab. I feel there's a lot to learn here, to improve upon, for the next generation of packs.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
fwiw, I'm taking a long look at this stuff and keeping it in mind when working on my next projects. We don't see eye to eye on everything, but a lot of the stuff you mentioned just makes logical sense.

EFAB
In particular, I strongly support the idea that the EFab is a cool mechanic that could have been implemented better. Even in its current state, I enjoyed it more than most people, and I definitely feel it has a lot of potential. The sad thing is, I'm really hesitant now to add it to a modpack because of the negativity surrounding it. Just like people in the past refused to play anything with even a hint of "gregtech" in it, I'd be sad if people instantly skipped my project because of EFab.

WOOD
Conversely, I don't mind the halved-wood stuff at all. For me as a pack-dev, if I want to make wood resources feel tighter while also making lumber-mechanics more important, I can either a) decrease wood output (as was done), or b) increase wood consumption (as you suggested). I can understand how leaving the wood-output alone might be better for the psyche of some players. Its also "just easier" to change the wood output rather than change all the consumers. And weighing that against the complainers, sometimes the pack dev doesn't care and is fine being called lazy.

Having said that, you also contributed a new and different angle to the debate, which was the log vs plank in recipes thing. That changes the argument a bit and I'll give it a bit of thought for my own stuffs.

MINING
Regarding ores: I feel like the pack needs Caterpillar. I really wish that goofy mod had gotten ported to 1.12 :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
fwiw, I'm taking a long look at this stuff and keeping it in mind when working on my next projects. We don't see eye to eye on everything, but a lot of the stuff you mentioned just makes logical sense.

EFAB
In particular, I strongly support the idea that the EFab is a cool mechanic that could have been implemented better. Even in its current state, I enjoyed it more than most people, and I definitely feel it has a lot of potential. The sad thing is, I'm really hesitant now to add it to a modpack because of the negativity surrounding it. Just like people in the past refused to play anything with even a hint of "gregtech" in it, I'd be sad if people instantly skipped my project because of EFab.
So add it. Don't make a huge announcement about it, but have it buried in your mods included list. By the time they run into it, if you are using it for mid to high tier complex crafting, they won't be so upset, and will already be invested in your pack. If anything, it might well be able to prove that the mod itself isn't flawed, simply part of the implementation which got a lot of public flack.
WOOD
Conversely, I don't mind the halved-wood stuff at all. For me as a pack-dev, if I want to make wood resources feel tighter while also making lumber-mechanics more important, I can either a) decrease wood output (as was done), or b) increase wood consumption (as you suggested). I can understand how leaving the wood-output alone might be better for the psyche of some players. Its also "just easier" to change the wood output rather than change all the consumers. And weighing that against the complainers, sometimes the pack dev doesn't care and is fine being called lazy.

Having said that, you also contributed a new and different angle to the debate, which was the log vs plank in recipes thing. That changes the argument a bit and I'll give it a bit of thought for my own stuffs.
Part of me is wanting to toy around with 'limited storage' as a way of encouraging automation and throughput design instead of hoarding design. In Factorio, you don't think "I have x of this resource on hand, I'm going to want y", you think "I'm consuming x resource/minute, so I need to make sure I keep up with that in my throughput". That's the sort of mental logic I want to try to bring.
MINING
Regarding ores: I feel like the pack needs Caterpillar. I really wish that goofy mod had gotten ported to 1.12 :)
That's an interesting mod, actually. I like the design concept, and how he kept it 'low tech'.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 'miner' which needs fuel to run, and will bring up a given ore resource every x seconds until the chunk runs out of it, with each 'chunk' having a high but fiat amount of a specific given ore. The upgraded version would run on power instead of burnables. Sort of like how the Immersive Engineering miner does things, only earlier-game and lower speed and throughput.

Reactions: Pyure

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Agreed, one of the things I really did like about EFab was the recipe for making treated wood. Instead of having to fight with buckets or mess around with a tank in the recipe, you can put a tank on the side and wood in and say here: Automate this. And when you came back it'd produced however much treated wood you had wood and oil for.

That was a thing Rotarycraft did well. You could say I need this much torque and speed, and I'm putting in this much. I see where you're going but the game isn't really built around doing ore that way unfortunately. It'd require some complex rejiggering of the systems. Which is fine.

I had the same idea. Maybe instead of ore it pulls out an ore slurry, which needs to be processed from a fluid to iron rolls and then stamped into ingots? I'm thinking two routes to process it. Early on it has to get pumped out into a space in the ground and will dry out into ore and cobblestone slabs. Ore slabs go into a furnace and produce an iron roll that can then either be hammered down, or run through a metal press with an ingot press to make it into iron ingots. Later on you can pump it into an evaporation tower that produces cobble and the iron slabs. Same process but the output is automatable. Maybe use the solar reflectors from Immersive Tech to speed it up.

You could even use the same veins as the Excavator, with one ore equaling the 288mb of iron and 144 of cobblestone as the slurry. That way when you upgrade to the excavator, you're not dealing with another type of resource gen, or parts of a block.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I was thinking more along the lines of a 'miner' which needs fuel to run, and will bring up a given ore resource every x seconds until the chunk runs out of it, with each 'chunk' having a high but fiat amount of a specific given ore. The upgraded version would run on power instead of burnables. Sort of like how the Immersive Engineering miner does things, only earlier-game and lower speed and throughput.
Agreed on Factorio. I guess the difference is that things like that are a bit more abstracted in Factorio. Whereas here, we're mostly limited to doing things like the extractor machine in Immersive Engineering (for ores) and the oil drill for fuels (from GT5u). Which, btw, aren't bad in the slightest; I like those mechanics in modpacks sometimes. They simply sometimes sort of work against the core idea of mining real non-abstracted blocks in Minecraft which I think can rub some players wrong consciously or subconciously.

Also: I kinda wish there was an actual incentive to do all of the above with things like railcraft transportation instead of tesseracts or insta-pipes.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I agree with the idea that Efab needs to be given another chance. I put Efab into the Direwolf20 1.12 pack (pre-12.2) just to see what it was like in its pure implementation. The first thing I noticed was the module recipes required iron and redstone, as opposed to the first grid being made with a crafting table and 8 logs. Making first step implementation easy only to be hit with other things being harder later on seems to me a bit underhanded.

I can see Efab taking the place of several mods all at once, with a few additions. The addition of various oven/furnace modules, storage tanks, alloying crucibles, refrigerating units and some kind of controller for advanced automation and now you have a fully customizable "line" system to make specific parts for more complex machines. Put the required materials in, press the start button and let it run until it finishes the task at hand. At this point you have a manufacturing subsystem that is both easy to customize and more closely mimics real life manufacturing.

While my scenario above may not appeal to everyone, as long as it isn't implemented in an "expert" mode fashion and used to enforce a single method to make things I think Efab can be a lot of fun.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I agree with the idea that Efab needs to be given another chance. I put Efab into the Direwolf20 1.12 pack (pre-12.2) just to see what it was like in its pure implementation. The first thing I noticed was the module recipes required iron and redstone, as opposed to the first grid being made with a crafting table and 8 logs. Making first step implementation easy only to be hit with other things being harder later on seems to me a bit underhanded.

I can see Efab taking the place of several mods all at once, with a few additions. The addition of various oven/furnace modules, storage tanks, alloying crucibles, refrigerating units and some kind of controller for advanced automation and now you have a fully customizable "line" system to make specific parts for more complex machines. Put the required materials in, press the start button and let it run until it finishes the task at hand. At this point you have a manufacturing subsystem that is both easy to customize and more closely mimics real life manufacturing.

While my scenario above may not appeal to everyone, as long as it isn't implemented in an "expert" mode fashion and used to enforce a single method to make things I think Efab can be a lot of fun.
How about this:

Have a 'Hatch' block, designed exclusively to connect to transportation systems, and functions as a way of automated crafting. Then have it function much like the old BC Automated Crafting Table. Program in a specific recipe into the Efab crafter, and raw goods come in, finished products come out. With multiple fabricators in the multiblock, you might even be able to handle subcombines to return finished products out of raw goods.

Now THAT would be a mod worth generally installing, especially if you can get into it to a significant degree before AE2 goes online. Or, if you really want to give everyone a fit of apopolexy, instead of AE2. Think about it. Something like Simple Storage Network can be used for inventory management, and you can use Efab for your auto-crafting. It wouldn't be as compact, no. But that's also the whole point behind it. You have to custom-craft multiblock structures to be able to get optimal results. And while it doesn't make sense for manual crafting to have timers, it makes perfect sense for an auto-crafting system to have a maximum throughput represented in per-craft times. They don't have to be big, just a second or two, and you can load them up with gearboxes if you like for maximum efficiency, and it would be simply amazing. A 'low-tech', or at least medium-tech, response to finally toppling the monopoly AE2/RS has on autocrafting on demand.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Especially if it includes a specific ability to craft from simple storage network stored items. Or even from those in RFTools Storage. (Since it is a McJty mod)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Especially if it includes a specific ability to craft from simple storage network stored items. Or even from those in RFTools Storage. (Since it is a McJty mod)
Mmm... I'm thinking of something a little bit more primitive than that. Efab would just craft continuously if it could 'see' the inventory, after all. However, SSN is surprisingly powerful. Think of it like RS or AE2 if it just had buses and terminals, with no storage and no auto-crafting built in, and EnderIO's paintable conduit cover system. So you can set up an export bus to the Efab multiblock and set it up to automatically give it a predefined amount of resources on something like a redstone signal, and those resources are needed to make a predefined amount of end-product. It wouldn't be quite as elegant, but it would be an interesting dynamic.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
With the EFab, I see it as a successor to the Forestry Carpenter. That carpenter is pretty much the go-to block to make a recipe require more infrastructure (needing RF and a liquid), but is limited to a restricted list of liquids.
Sure, it can do much, but tbh I haven't tried it or seen it really in use due to the negative feedback.

I do like the idea of a freeform multiblock crafter though.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
With the EFab, I see it as a successor to the Forestry Carpenter. That carpenter is pretty much the go-to block to make a recipe require more infrastructure (needing RF and a liquid), but is limited to a restricted list of liquids.
Sure, it can do much, but tbh I haven't tried it or seen it really in use to the negative feedback.

I do like the idea of a freeform multiblock crafter though.
Yea, Efab is actually pretty amazing. You have your Crafter block, which you need to physically touch. You can use Gearboxes to reduce timing requirements. You can add Tanks, which you have to reach to add fluids to (not sure if they can accept piping, but maybe so?). The crafter can also have multiple potentially conflicting recipes, and resolves it by selecting a given recipe with the resources available. In Continuum, a plank by itself is a TiCon Pattern, but a plank with creosote is treated plank. So if you have a tank with creosote attached in the multiblock, then you can either select Pattern or Treated Plank in the crafting interface. There's also a Forge Energy Compatible energy acceptor, so you can require a certain amount of energy per crafting iteration.

So yes, the Efab multiblock can function as a Carpenter, in that it can require items, fluid, and energy all in one to make a craft happen. However, it is also capable of selecting which of the possible recipes you want, in the event you have multiple potential crafting recipes available based on the resources provided, and is a multiblock structure formed one block at a time, so you can customize it to suit your needs. It can be an all-in-one crafter, but it doesn't have to be. You could just set up one to crank out a specific item and have it go to town while you're doing something else entirely.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yea, Efab is actually pretty amazing. You have your Crafter block, which you need to physically touch. You can use Gearboxes to reduce timing requirements. You can add Tanks, which you have to reach to add fluids to (not sure if they can accept piping, but maybe so?). The crafter can also have multiple potentially conflicting recipes, and resolves it by selecting a given recipe with the resources available. In Continuum, a plank by itself is a TiCon Pattern, but a plank with creosote is treated plank. So if you have a tank with creosote attached in the multiblock, then you can either select Pattern or Treated Plank in the crafting interface. There's also a Forge Energy Compatible energy acceptor, so you can require a certain amount of energy per crafting iteration.

So yes, the Efab multiblock can function as a Carpenter, in that it can require items, fluid, and energy all in one to make a craft happen. However, it is also capable of selecting which of the possible recipes you want, in the event you have multiple potential crafting recipes available based on the resources provided, and is a multiblock structure formed one block at a time, so you can customize it to suit your needs. It can be an all-in-one crafter, but it doesn't have to be. You could just set up one to crank out a specific item and have it go to town while you're doing something else entirely.
Absolutely this and what Golrith said :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

I think you can, I seem to remember seeing a setup that had this massive efab setup, with lots of different fluid pipes.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I watched WeAllPlayCast playing Continuum and they built a multiblock that used several tanks, each containing a different liquid... Water, Honey and IIRC tree sap/oil or latex, all of which were filled using pipes and/or special blocks like aqueous accumulators.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame