Hmm Eu Generation ideas.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I have a server that just my friend and I play on using the newest Mindcrack pack.

Right now for EU I am using I think 6 advanced solar panels and 3 thermal generators. But using the solar panels make me feel "Cheap" Like I'm cheating or something.

What other ways of generating large amounts of eu are there & what systems have/do you use and what is your favorite? I'm Newer to modded minecraft and have only been playing ftb for about a month now all together.

So far the ways I know of are:
*Solar panels (feels like cheating)
* Nuclear reactor (No idea what I'm doing with one although I would like to start one as they seem awesome, I could search guides on it easy enough)
* Ic2 Geo thermals & GT Thermal generators.
* and I tihnk there is a machine from GT to make eu out of biomass aswell.
* thats all I got...

I'm interested on what kind of systems some of you guys have set up and use, Maybe post screenshots of your systems as well to show them off :).

Thanks much

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
the turbine is extremely expensive (when it comes to steel).

I'd suggest a simple nuclear reactor (just standard heat vents and component coolers) and as fuel, you can use thorium. thorium is easy to aquire: just form near depleted isotope cells (8 cells + 1 uranium) and then centrifuge them, gives 4 thorium cells, each burns like a uranium cell but 5 times longer, and 5 times weaker (so basically the same amount of EU over 5 times the time).

basically, nuclear reactors cost a lot of copper, and they even burn it, if you use double or quad cells.

just search in the IC2-forum for some nice gregtech designs. there are a lot of thorium based cheap setups, and if you manage to set up an ore grinder, you'll get 1 thorium per monazite ore (which is somehow OP)

Reactions: Jeff Fisher

FrankieTheSnake

Jul 29, 2019
you could use the gas turbine from gregtech.

those use methane cells and you can make methane cells with the industrial centrifuge using any kind of vannila crop.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
the turbine is extremely expensive (when it comes to steel).

I'd suggest a simple nuclear reactor (just standard heat vents and component coolers) and as fuel, you can use thorium. thorium is easy to aquire: just form near depleted isotope cells (8 cells + 1 uranium) and then centrifuge them, gives 4 thorium cells, each burns like a uranium cell but 5 times longer, and 5 times weaker (so basically the same amount of EU over 5 times the time).

basically, nuclear reactors cost a lot of copper, and they even burn it, if you use double or quad cells.

just search in the IC2-forum for some nice gregtech designs. there are a lot of thorium based cheap setups, and if you manage to set up an ore grinder, you'll get 1 thorium per monazite ore (which is somehow OP)

Well I do have a steam boiler already set up for MJ production but yah steel is had to come by unless you use the cheaty way with traincraft and graphite. I might have to look into a nuclear power plant I'm not sure yet maybe some others will have more more ideas. Only thing with the boilers seems to be replacing the turbine things constantly.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
the not so cheaty part is, smelting iron ore inside the blast furnace giving 3 refined iron and then smelting that to steel inside the same blastfurnace.

pro: it's the maximum of iron you can get
contra: that process demands coal dust. so to get this coal, the rockcutter together with the ore grinder is your friend.
second contra: this process demands a stable and powerfull EU-source, like a nuclear reactor (or at least some forestry tree farms)

in gregtech, a nice eu-source is the diesel generator. a buildcraft refinery produces fuel, then the player puts it into cells, and sticks it into the diesel generator. easy power, each unit gives 384k EU, but since the generator delivers just 12 EU/t, it takes some time to burn it down.

EDIT: the diesel generator is also capable of turning biofuel into EU, but this process is rather ineffective.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
if you want to avoid the cheatiness of the advanced solars don't use the advanced (or compact) solars and keep the vanilla IC2 solars which generate only 1 eu per block compared to those 100+ per block

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
if you want to avoid the cheatiness of the advanced solars don't use the advanced (or compact) solars and keep the vanilla IC2 solars which generate only 1 eu per block compared to those 100+ per block
Im not crazy like omg I cant use solars because its liek cheating its more like it does feel alittle cheap and I want to set something up that takes alittle effort and has more of a reward to it or something. I will probably keep the solars I have as a buffer of energy but I want to have cool way to produce eu :)

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I think advanced solar panel is fine as long as you don't overuse it (i.e making lots of it and feed the eu to matter fabricator). I only use them for GT automation thingie (electric translocator and other) so I don't have to pull glass fibres from my main power system.

Several T5 Zombie spawners->rotten flesh-> methane is also another way to generate eu.

I think nuclear reactor is a challenge since they burn copper pretty fast (pretty rare in mindcrack), IC2 copper (or forestry one) should be enabled instead of TE one..

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
Energetic Bees are a variation of Valiant Bees that you get by combining a Valiant with a Cultivated I believe. You get either excited or energetic, not sure what the first form is.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
Energetic Bees are a variation of Valiant Bees that you get by combining a Valiant with a Cultivated I believe. You get either excited or energetic, not sure what the first form is.
excited is see here: [warning spoilers for those who dont know bees!]
http://plornt.com/bees/
this is a bee breeding guide! you have been warned about spoilers!

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
with energetic bees
Unfortunately this doesn't work, and I'll tell you why:
Greg does his lightning rod calculations based on a few parameters:
•If it's storming, or if you have enough fences, raining
•Timed randomish 'bursts' (These 'lightning strikes' aren't actually real lightning. It just shows the beam and plays the soundfile)
So you can't actually 'force' a lightning rod to produce, short of using an iodine capsule to make it rain and hopefully storm.

WitherSauce

Jul 29, 2019
On our server we produce energy in a couple ways atm with Mindcrack + Mystcraft/ Ars Magica/ UE.

MJ is produced by Forestry tree/ bog/ wheat farms making biomass then biofuel and is almost self renewable apart from apatite, which you need little of. Biofuel is burnt in HP liquid boiler producing steam which powers up to 18 industrial steam engines per HP boiler (144MJ/t).

EU is produced in two ways. The first uses vertical builds of igneous extruder, magmatic engines, and thermal generators. The extruders are fed by netherrack which is produced using Ars Magica from a cobblestone generator. 8:1 ratio of magmatic engines to thermal generators. 40 blocks high setup. Excess lava is produced which is centrifuged to copper, tin, electrum, and tungsten. Due to the lava and netherrack nerfs i would not recommend this unless you have Ars magica.

Second design is a solar farm using advanced solar addon. Started with 4x64 sets of advanced solar panels, all hooked up to matter fabricator, which is slowly producing uu which we will use to upgrade the advanced to hybrid, and eventually ultimate. Will take a while though. Energy can be diverted if need be. Not sure of the energy being produced on average but its well into the 1000's during the day time.

Neither of the 2 eu options are cheap at all, or easy to set up. We play very collaboratively on our server, so projects like these get completed relatively quickly (week or 2). They work renewably and produce valuable resources.

We are also working on methane production using a teir 5 cow spawner, centrifuges and gas turbines, and a few nuclear reactors.

It might sound like a lot of energy, but once you have multiple bases, huge gregtech factories, uu matter production, you will need every drop :D

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
On our server we produce energy in a couple ways atm with Mindcrack + Mystcraft/ Ars Magica/ UE.

MJ is produced by Forestry tree/ bog/ wheat farms making biomass then biofuel and is almost self renewable apart from apatite, which you need little of. Biofuel is burnt in HP liquid boiler producing steam which powers up to 18 industrial steam engines per HP boiler (144MJ/t).

EU is produced in two ways. The first uses vertical builds of igneous extruder, magmatic engines, and thermal generators. The extruders are fed by netherrack which is produced using Ars Magica from a cobblestone generator. 8:1 ratio of magmatic engines to thermal generators. 40 blocks high setup. Excess lava is produced which is centrifuged to copper, tin, electrum, and tungsten. Due to the lava and netherrack nerfs i would not recommend this unless you have Ars magica.

Second design is a solar farm using advanced solar addon. Started with 4x64 sets of advanced solar panels, all hooked up to matter fabricator, which is slowly producing uu which we will use to upgrade the advanced to hybrid, and eventually ultimate. Will take a while though. Energy can be diverted if need be. Not sure of the energy being produced on average but its well into the 1000's during the day time.

Neither of the 2 eu options are cheap at all, or easy to set up. We play very collaboratively on our server, so projects like these get completed relatively quickly (week or 2). They work renewably and produce valuable resources.

We are also working on methane production using a teir 5 cow spawner, centrifuges and gas turbines, and a few nuclear reactors.

It might sound like a lot of energy, but once you have multiple bases, huge gregtech factories, uu matter production, you will need every drop :D

2 questions, what is Ars Magica and how can I use my tier 5 mooshroom shard to make eu?

WitherSauce

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica is a mod that adds magic, new npcs, new items, new worldgen structures. Its pretty much a mod where you collect, create and learn spells. One of the items added can act as item transformer. So if you dump cobble in, out comes netherrack. Its not very efficient though, so making anything but cheap resources is not really feasible.

Word of warning: it needs to be installed on the server if you play SMP, and it does conflict with iteam and entity IDs from Mindcrack. You have to manually change these, but its not too difficult. You also need world generation to spawn the npcs, structures and items. So if your world is fully explored it can be a problem. Mystcraft solves that though. Or if you dont want Ars Magica, just quarry netherrack in the Nether. You get more than enough.

Any spawner will work, as long as it produces a lot of items that can be centrifuged for methane. Rotten flesh can be turned into methane, so you could go with a zombie spawner. Rubber tree farms work as well, so you dont even need a spawner. Im not sure if mooshrooms work, but it probably will. You need to check up on it by seeing what mooshrooms drop, and how often, then check if any of the items can generate methane cells in industrial centrifuges.

As to actually make the system, i would need a wall of text. There is a great tutorial, so no worries! Have fun.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...ack_v8_cow_power_additional_info_in_comments/