High risk high reward mods that go boom

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kurikaktus

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there, I'm looking to make a private modpack for some friends of mine for our server. I originally planned to just go with magic mods with minimal tech mods (I think tinker's construct is minimal tech) xD.

A friend of mine wanted something like the IC2 nuclear reactor that really griefs the area if you make a mistake. It gives him the thrill of doing a good job or suffer the dire consequences xD.

Can anyone suggest something similar? It doesn't need to be a tech mod, just something that griefs the area when a mistake is done.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
maybe thaumcraft if you tweak the config to make taint hyper aggressive and then I really mean super fast spread but I have no idea if you can tweak how easy it is to accidentally let a taint biome spawn and you need to disable the taint biome from spawning normally.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft and Reactorcraft, your friend will get over liking "it go boom" very quickly, and you'll have some craters to decorate.
Even when trying things out in creative! The first time I messed around with an industrial coil, I got a massive crater...in the middle of my farm. I was trying to figure out if fans could harvest...I think it was magical crops sugar cane. They can't (or couldn't when I tried it), by the way.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Rotarycraft and Reactorcraft, your friend will get over liking "it go boom" very quickly, and you'll have some craters to decorate.
This one definitely fits the bill.

With IC2, its simple to find a schematic online and just use its. Your reactor will never explode, regardless of chunkloading or anything else.

ReC reactors, for better or worse, are far more temperamental. On the plus side, they require some actual infrastructural decisions which can easily go south if you screw them up. On the negative side, they require proper chunkloading. Or, you know, radiation town.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
maybe thaumcraft if you tweak the config to make taint hyper aggressive and then I really mean super fast spread but I have no idea if you can tweak how easy it is to accidentally let a taint biome spawn and you need to disable the taint biome from spawning normally.

Taint spread on the highest possible setting is still quite pathetic.

kurikaktus

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, didnt get forum notifications in my email for the other replies. I guess the mods that do the most damage when a mistake is done is Reactor craft and the IC2 reactor. Thaumcraft just spreads taint which slowly corrupts the world...emphasis on slowly xD. At most, the penalties for other mods are diminishing returns or a minor boom such as the transformers in IC2. Would be nice if a mistake in one magic mod causes a rift in space and makes mobs swarm in or teleport you into another dimension.

Is there a mod that allows you to make your own mobs? something like steve carts where its modular. I think there was one named "necromancy" but its mostly just assembling pieces of the other mobs together. If ever someone thinks of that modular mob mod, having an instance of a zombie outbreak or a mutation outbreak would be nice xD

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
just saying but if you really want a high risk/ high reward mod I would recommend lucky blocks. don't play with it unless i'm bored but i definitely noticed that high risk/reward in there...

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, didnt get forum notifications in my email for the other replies. I guess the mods that do the most damage when a mistake is done is Reactor craft and the IC2 reactor. Thaumcraft just spreads taint which slowly corrupts the world...emphasis on slowly xD. At most, the penalties for other mods are diminishing returns or a minor boom such as the transformers in IC2. Would be nice if a mistake in one magic mod causes a rift in space and makes mobs swarm in or teleport you into another dimension.

Is there a mod that allows you to make your own mobs? something like steve carts where its modular. I think there was one named "necromancy" but its mostly just assembling pieces of the other mobs together. If ever someone thinks of that modular mob mod, having an instance of a zombie outbreak or a mutation outbreak would be nice xD
If you want tough mobs, try Blood Magic's Demon Invasion, which is designed to destroy anyone who isn't suitably prepared.

Reactions: ewsmith

kurikaktus

Jul 29, 2019
If you want tough mobs, try Blood Magic's Demon Invasion, which is designed to destroy anyone who isn't suitably prepared.

Oh wow. I actually planned on not including blood magic since some of its functions were a bit redundant with other mods. I didnt know that they implemented this new feature

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Is it amazing that I saw a thread about ICBM 2 threads above this one?

EDIT: before i posted this of course. that should be obvious.

kurikaktus

Jul 29, 2019
We might try adding ICBM2. I saw in the curse download section its in alpha. Any known bugs that cause server crashes?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Depends on your playstyle. I don't think I ever had a big explosion in any of my games with Reika's mods, but then I'm super-careful. Avoiding contact with radioactive waste was much more of a challenge. Those status effects are nasty, and contribute much more to a "high risk, high reward" impression than possible explosions.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
May I also mention Botania. The second-tier Gaia Guardian is of a kind that I just know I'll never progress that far in Botania.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Pneumaticcraft is rather unforgiving if you put too much pressure in the wrong piping, made a few holes in my time.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I personally keep an eye on the mod super massive tech, those black holes the author works on seems "fun" and it also has items that explode if you let them stack in your inventory. It may have more things that may end up going boom I have not done that much with it yet.

oh and the description it has is
This mod centers around stars, black holes, and all the powers and disasters that accompany them.

Reactions: malicious_bloke