Hey ya'll!

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Flora, I simply LOVE Bees. The only question that I cannot seem to find anywhere is.... with more biomes, do I need to be in a "vanilla biome" to breed say.... the Rural bees? How do I know which of the "More Biome" biomes are classified as plains to breed Rural bees in. Also, do all of the EoL bees require a certain biome? Or is it only the "special" ones like the Rural? Anyways, I look forward to more bee videos, specifically some hard core how to's on breeding, it seems like there is a real lack of information on breeding tactics out there.

Put down an apiary and it will tell you the temperature and humidity of your area in the side tabs. As long as your queen tolerates those you're good to go. Most ExtraBiomesXL biomes are what you'd expect them to be from my experience. Wintry bees work in all the snowy ones, all the forest and meadow type areas count as regular forest or meadows biomes as far as bees are concerned and so on.

As for the second question; every bee requires a certain temperature and humidity to work in, but none of them are completely tied to a specific biome exactly. For example tropical bees need warm and damp climates. These traits are unchangeable, tropicals will always have warm and damp no matter what you breed them with. However they also have tolerances which can enable them to work in different temperatures and humidities. My tropicals have "both 1" temperature tolerance which means they can work in their normal habitat(warm) plus one above(hot) and one below(normal) their required temperatures. Their humidity tolerance is "down 1" which means they can work in normal humidity as well as damp. This actually enables them to work in normal biomes as well as jungles. In short all bees including the EoL ones are permanently tied to a certain habitat which will never change but the tolerance modifiers can be passed on with crossbreeding. For more on that see Flora's most recent bee university video (recorded live on stream), she does a very good visual explanation of everything I just wrote with more reference to other species.

Most EoL bees like Industrious or Imperial require normal temperature and humidity but there is of course the sinister line and a few others which require more abnormal climates. Of course you can build alvearies to modify the temperature and humidity of your biome now in exchange for some buildcraft power. I'm striving to get my Demonic bees working in a normal biome using a combination of tolerances and alvearies.

Apologies for the slightly long, rambling post, I hope I got the gist of it across OK at least!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget guys n gals the extra bees mod was removed from FTB, it still has bees but not the extra bit :D

Florastar

Jul 29, 2019
Put down an apiary and it will tell you the temperature and humidity of your area in the side tabs. As long as your queen tolerates those you're good to go. Most ExtraBiomesXL biomes are what you'd expect them to be from my experience. Wintry bees work in all the snowy ones, all the forest and meadow type areas count as regular forest or meadows biomes as far as bees are concerned and so on.

As for the second question; every bee requires a certain temperature and humidity to work in, but none of them are completely tied to a specific biome exactly. For example tropical bees need warm and damp climates. These traits are unchangeable, tropicals will always have warm and damp no matter what you breed them with. However they also have tolerances which can enable them to work in different temperatures and humidities. My tropicals have "both 1" temperature tolerance which means they can work in their normal habitat(warm) plus one above(hot) and one below(normal) their required temperatures. Their humidity tolerance is "down 1" which means they can work in normal humidity as well as damp. This actually enables them to work in normal biomes as well as jungles. In short all bees including the EoL ones are permanently tied to a certain habitat which will never change but the tolerance modifiers can be passed on with crossbreeding. For more on that see Flora's most recent bee university video (recorded live on stream), she does a very good visual explanation of everything I just wrote with more reference to other species.

Most EoL bees like Industrious or Imperial require normal temperature and humidity but there is of course the sinister line and a few others which require more abnormal climates. Of course you can build alvearies to modify the temperature and humidity of your biome now in exchange for some buildcraft power. I'm striving to get my Demonic bees working in a normal biome using a combination of tolerances and alvearies.

Apologies for the slightly long, rambling post, I hope I got the gist of it across OK at least!
Though for the specific bees that require a specific biome to mutate in (Rural, for instance). I believe you need the natural vanilla biome.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Well you learn something every day, I never knew that despite having got rural before. I guess I just always happened to live in a plains biome. :)

While I'm here, can you (or anyone else) give me a clue on the wintry line please? I've bred them with a few more basic bees and had no luck so far, I'm wondering if I've just not tried the basic ones enough or whether it's something more outlandish. Might it be another biome specific mutation?

Florastar

Jul 29, 2019
Well you learn something every day, I never knew that despite having got rural before. I guess I just always happened to live in a plains biome. :)

While I'm here, can you (or anyone else) give me a clue on the wintry line please? I've bred them with a few more basic bees and had no luck so far, I'm wondering if I've just not tried the basic ones enough or whether it's something more outlandish. Might it be another biome specific mutation?

It's not biome specfic, but it's a little outlandish. ;)

Reactions: Magicferret

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Good clue, I'm glad you didn't give it away too easily. Should keep me busy this evening, cheers Flora!

Edit: Aaaand I have Icy bees. Hooray! As Dire would say :)

alfblack

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Flora,

Me and my daughter are playing on a local FTB server and we're diving into beez. Her base is full of flowers (very girly).

I've been messing with FTB and without the additional pipes. Havent figured out a good automation. I can do it with 1 apiarist pipe per Apiary with isnt efficient. Do you have a good build with what FTB currently has?

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Flora,

Me and my daughter are playing on a local FTB server and we're diving into beez. Her base is full of flowers (very girly).

I've been messing with FTB and without the additional pipes. Havent figured out a good automation. I can do it with 1 apiarist pipe per Apiary with isnt efficient. Do you have a good build with what FTB currently has?

Here is a thread you should check out, several people including myself have posted their systems. Buildcraft has actually changed so that you can make diamond pipes act like advanced insertion pipes, if an item can't go down the specified route it will try another, other than where it came from. The advanced insertion pipes are actually no longer needed.

Reactions: alfblack

Airlag

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Flora, how are you? How's your sister? I liked your 'teach my sister the mods' a lot.

AlphaOmegaCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Flora:

Really liked your your youtube teaching the mods to your sister. I had my own server for FTB and was hoping to get some people on it doing a Lets Play series like that. PM me if you are interested, I own my own server and can host anything there.

Also about you stream on Twitch, instead of doing a schedule since that is hard should do something more like a mailing list, a blog or a forum that way you can notify people a few hours before or even a day before when you will do the stream. This frees you up from having to do a schedule and gives your viewers a chance to catch your stream. If you need any help setting up a blog or forum let me know, I do that kind of stuff for a living.

Have a good one.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Hi me and my friend have just started a series we are already on advanced stuff so if u like multiplayer or you're just looking for a new series to get into check it out! We are covering every mod so it is good for everyone! Watch one video here
It is posted every day so subscribe to him to keep up thank you
You should post in the forum made for this, this is really not a good place.

DaAzn

Jul 29, 2019
im new. but just asking do u have a video series to teach people about foresty.

Lobothirteen

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently I suck something fierce at making bees, because I somehow managed to make a bee that is related to Thor... The thing makes random-ish lightning storms occur near my house, which renders said bee unusable... So now she gets to sit in a chest, conversing with several other bees that I have no use for at the moment... Such is the destiny of a bee that craps lightning and farts thunder...

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently I suck something fierce at making bees, because I somehow managed to make a bee that is related to Thor... The thing makes random-ish lightning storms occur near my house, which renders said bee unusable... So now she gets to sit in a chest, conversing with several other bees that I have no use for at the moment... Such is the destiny of a bee that craps lightning and farts thunder...
Yeah, energy bees do that if you don't breed that trait out of them... However, they give you redstone from their combs, so it may be worth the risk.
And with Extra Bees machines, it's relatively simple to remove or change effects.

Cannibilly

Jul 29, 2019
Try placing those bees on a dirt block surrounded by ocean ;)
I like my women like I like my Oceans .... COVERED IN BEES!! ( its realy I like my Women like I like my coffee but that Eddie Izzards bit
for my fellow bee keepers)