Help me pick my next pack!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Well, I accidentally unplugged my PS4 while the other two were playing and it corrupted the save. Luckily, my first ever world is not gone thanks to cloud saves, but they lost 3 days of work. So... they're done with that world forever, loll.

Decision time is imminent! I'd like to be 100% decided by the end of the day today, and as always, I am struggling. I swear, it's not me that's making this difficult, it's my friends. When I started this thread, it was just me. If it was just me, I'd be knee deep in an Age of Engineering run by now.

Here's the new, adjusted goals:

-All I want to do is build a huge castle and surrounding village, with each building representing a different mod hub, so I'm the most flixible
-My buddy Tim is the one we're trying to get hooked. He doesn't build. He mines and kills, basically. He needs something to explore and some stuff worth killing
-His wife and my other buddy Rebecca just wants to play with us, but can't really handle anything too complex.

This still SEEMS like infinity is the way to go, but this is the part where I'm a super snob, lol. Maybe I just need to find the right seed and texture pack, but there was something about it that just wasn't sitting right. And it's just so archaic.

I'm still totally open to any other suggestions. Being that it's not just me anymore, I supposed I don't HAVE to have an HQM pack. That would open some things like All the Mods 3 or Unstable, but I don't know enough about them. I popped into ATM:ER and it looked promising enough, but I flipped through the quest book and it looked underwhelming.

Once again, my biggest problem in minecraft is that I have friends that want to play with me, which I shouldn't be complaining about, but everyone wants something different out of it!
You know. You could put your own pack together?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I was trying to avoid that, but that may be what I need to do at this point.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
See, I'm concerned that the somewhat grindy nature of AoE would put people who were less into it off a bit, and All The Mods is great but the mod interactions are SO complex for recipes, it could be either really good (each of you takes a bit to work on to reach a particular goal) or really bad (they all give up because you need this to get this, but you also need that before you get THAT...), so its probably worth giving some thought to. I believe there is something similar to Battle Towers that's up to date, so it could be worth adding that in to whatever you choose for the exploration/mob killing side of things.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
This has always been a thing that plagues me with Minecraft. Everything is 85% of what I want, and the 15% is a dealbreaker, lol.

My situation might have this whole thing implode on ourselves and we're going to end up back on plan A, which was Rocket League, lol.

I haven't tried AoE yet. The pictures just looked interesting. I didn't check it out in-depth enough to really know, mostly because I dismissed it because of my friends anyway.

The problem is, we all just have different things we're looking for, so it almost has to be a kitchen sink pack. It always keeps pointing back to Infinity in the end, but we just realized that he doesn't have a regular minecraft license anyway, and may not be willing to buy one, so I have NFI what's going to happen now. Except, I do know that next time I get the bug to play the game, I will keep my damn mouth shut, lol.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to pimp 1.10 Sprout (I'm partial to Scavenger Mode).

It has a very Vanilla feel to it, in that progression isn't just a mad rush up one tech tree after another. It also isn't a grindfest, while finding other ways to slow progress. So far as mainstream tech mods, you'll likely find it underwhelming (AA, Immersive Engineering, RFTools, EnderIO), but that's actually one of the reasons I fell so deeply in love with it. The tech is there, but it is sometimes gated behind walls other than just more tech. It has been the best showcase of magic mods in 1.10 that I've seen, and has actually convinced me that magic in Minecraft didn't die with Thaumcraft.

You want to build a castle. No problem, building castles can be done in nearly any pack. You want your castle to be surrounded by a village. How does MineColonies ability to make functional town's that grow as you do sound? Automate mining with a villager who actually digs a mineshaft and branches out on his own, stopping when he needs food or a new pickaxe. Supply him food and pickaxes with a delivery man and warehouse. Feed the warehouse bread from your Baker, who gets wheat from your farmer. A living breathing town, where you get to choose building placement and some degree of floorplan, all built by the villagers themselves (ok, the builder does all the construction work, but he's a villager too).

Your friend likes to hunt and kill. There is a Slayer's Guild who will pay him coin to rid the world of the monster threat, including hunting dragons (which you can find an egg and raise and eventually ride). An RPG leveling system allows each player to focus on different traits, with classes that get perks for different activities (warriors get extra XP from mob kills, miners get a chance for double ore drops when mining, etc.). There are a number of boss fights in the world as well, spread through Recurrent Complex structures across the world.

A quest system exists, but it's all immersive by CustomNPCs dialogue. The needs of different NPCs will force you to explore to find solutions or even other NPCs who may have more work for you.

Silent's Gems offers versatility in weapons and even armor, with abilities that increase as your infrastructure and resources improve. An equipment leveling system makes using even outdated equipment sometimes worthwhile, which helps balance the overall armor/weapon progression as well.

Did I mention magic? Botania, Blood Magic, Ars Magica, Astral Sorcery, Roots, Ice and Fire... Most, if not all, have their own in game documentation, making entry level players feel more at home getting started.

It's truly a different experience from any other pack I've played, but it is most certainly still Minecraft. I highly recommend it (if you hadn't noticed).

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Dude! That was a hell of a pitch! I'm looking into this one right now!

That might be perfect. I LOVE the idea of building a real, working city. This might be exactly what I'm looking for.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Well, I accidentally unplugged my PS4 while the other two were playing and it corrupted the save. Luckily, my first ever world is not gone thanks to cloud saves, but they lost 3 days of work. So... they're done with that world forever, loll.

Decision time is imminent! I'd like to be 100% decided by the end of the day today, and as always, I am struggling. I swear, it's not me that's making this difficult, it's my friends. When I started this thread, it was just me. If it was just me, I'd be knee deep in an Age of Engineering run by now.

Here's the new, adjusted goals:

-All I want to do is build a huge castle and surrounding village, with each building representing a different mod hub, so I'm the most flixible
-My buddy Tim is the one we're trying to get hooked. He doesn't build. He mines and kills, basically. He needs something to explore and some stuff worth killing
-His wife and my other buddy Rebecca just wants to play with us, but can't really handle anything too complex.

This still SEEMS like infinity is the way to go, but this is the part where I'm a super snob, lol. Maybe I just need to find the right seed and texture pack, but there was something about it that just wasn't sitting right. And it's just so archaic.

I'm still totally open to any other suggestions. Being that it's not just me anymore, I supposed I don't HAVE to have an HQM pack. That would open some things like All the Mods 3 or Unstable, but I don't know enough about them. I popped into ATM:ER and it looked promising enough, but I flipped through the quest book and it looked underwhelming.

Once again, my biggest problem in minecraft is that I have friends that want to play with me, which I shouldn't be complaining about, but everyone wants something different out of it!

well, if you're friend's out for the hunt, than divine journey would definitely be ideal for you. it has Divine RPG, which adds a plethora of powerful mobs, 8 (?) dimensions, and a good few bosses

however, it is an expert pack, so I must ask, is it complex crafting recipes that throw his wife and Rebecca off? or complex systems such as setting up mechanism 5x ore processing? because this is a VERY difficult pack once you get later on.
ofcourse, if you have 4 people playing, than that will definitely lighten the workload

as for the quest system, well, that won't be an issue as this pack has over 800 quests guiding you through every nook and cranny. which if your like me is a MASSIVE help. and if you don't like quest books than you can just throw it into a river or something, whichever works for you

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
@APEX_gaming - Yeah, Rebecca couldn't figure out how to build a buildcraft quarry even after I showed her several examples and explained it to her. That sounds like a good pack for me and Tim, but not for her.

Sprout, however, is looking really, really, really promising.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
For what it's worth, @thephoenixlodge is the pack author (he did Regrowth for 1.7, which is also amazing).
Oh, I know - I feel like he should give you props though, as you're doing a damn good job of selling it! :D

Its funny really, because I'm actually playing through Regrowth at the moment and having a whale of a time! TPL just has a gift, methinks ;)

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Yeah. She can handle the idea of making the blocks. She can't put them together in a way that works.

wait what? how does that work? and NEI has shift-click functionality so you don't even have to form the recipie

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
wait what? how does that work? and NEI has shift-click functionality so you don't even have to form the recipie

No, i mean she can't handle the idea of connecting different blocks to create a functional thing. Like all the engines and whatnot you need to make a BC quarry. Not, like, she has trouble putting the top left item in the top left box and so on, lol.

IOW, she's no engineer, but she's not broken, lol

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So, @Inaeo

We're pretty excited about sprout now. Just one more question. Is it feasible for multiplayer without stepping on each other's toes? I was envisioning two competing kingdoms, essentially, where the other two combine to run theirs while I run mine nearby. Is this something where one guy goes through and does all the quests in the area and then there's nothing for the other one to do? Or can we both run quests pretty smoothly and build our respective kingdoms? Or, will we have to (*sigh*) work together as a team? :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
So, @Inaeo

We're pretty excited about sprout now. Just one more question. Is it feasible for multiplayer without stepping on each other's toes? I was envisioning two competing kingdoms, essentially, where the other two combine to run theirs while I run mine nearby. Is this something where one guy goes through and does all the quests in the area and then there's nothing for the other one to do? Or can we both run quests pretty smoothly and build our respective kingdoms? Or, will we have to (*sigh*) work together as a team? :p

To be fair, I've yet to run it on a server. The quests should be per person, I think, as each player will need to talk to the Traveller at the Waystone of Origins (world spawn) in order to get your initial quests and a backpack of goodies. The Ability Totems are up for grabs, so that is potentially first come first serve, but the better ones are locked away in dungeons as prizes anyway. Most of the quests I've seen are given from very distinguishable structures, which thanks to Recurrent Complex, are repeated often enough to spread out and still have access to everything.

Each player is capable of building their own MineColonies town (placing the Town Hall sets the borders, the border range is configurable), and the Town Hall has options for alliances and enemies. This allows multiple players to work together on a town if they like. I believe you can only have one Town Hall, and therefore one Town, per person. Town's may not overlap (minimum distance between town is also configurable).

It has been hinted that difficulty goes up as you get further from world spawn, but I don't have confirmation of that. There is a difficulty bar that rises over time in SSP - I imagine it would need a tweak for a server, else max difficulty could be reached before anyone has a chance to prepare for it. I'm not sure what mod adds it off hand, but something to consider.

I have been itching to play this in a server environment, as I think the potential community building is off the charts.

Sprout page here on the forums, for anyone interested:
https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-10-2-sprout.204422/

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame