Have alvearys been nerfed?

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
So I was just messing around with alvearys and frame housings, and I noticed something odd. They no longer produce like they used to. Going back to the MindCrack pack back in 1.4.7 days, the way I got rich was having alvearys with 6 frame housings all filled with frames 24/7. This guaranteed that every time the bee ticked (roughly 27 seconds), I would get at least one of the bee's special combs (sometimes 2). Also, to speed up mutation, I would use 6 chocolate frames in my mutator alveary and the mutation would be finished after only 1 tick.

Anyways, now, in 1.6.4 direwolf pack, this is no longer the case. 6 chocolate frames no longer lead to instant mutation, they now max out at a certain amount of life loss per tick. Lapis lazuli bees barely produce with 6 frames in all the time, and their comb chance is 5% (I think). I hope to be able to have diamond bees producing, but since their comb is only 1% chance, I don't think I will be able to get very many (sad face).

My question is, have alvearys been nerfed with frames and production? If so when, and is there anyway to get the production level back up to what it used to be? I would appreciate any answers, thank you! :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Just use Industrial Apiaries and stick a 256x TileEntity accelerator next to it.
Only in Monster, but it's better than DW20 IMHO.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
If memory serves me correctly, what happened is that a cap was added to the effect that frames can have, so any more than a certain number would simply have no effect (or it may have been diminishing returns, I'm unsure). Can't remember exactly when this happened but it was probably somewhere in the 1.5 era.
As for getting your production up, in DW20 I think your only option would be to just have multiple alvearies running the same species

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
4 Frame housing's have been max from doing my bee's anything beyond that doesn't do anything extra... it's just wasted.

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
If memory serves me correctly, what happened is that a cap was added to the effect that frames can have, so any more than a certain number would simply have no effect (or it may have been diminishing returns, I'm unsure). Can't remember exactly when this happened but it was probably somewhere in the 1.5 era.
As for getting your production up, in DW20 I think your only option would be to just have multiple alvearies running the same species
Thank you so much for the quick answer! This is exactly what I was thinking and trying to avoid, but if it's the only way of increasing the production, then whatever. Does the cap have any value to it? In other words, is there a way to calculate, for example how many diamond combs I would get or what is the chance of getting a diamond comb every time the bee ticks with a maxed out frame alveary? I want to be (bee pun :p) able to get an estimate on how many diamond combs I can get out of a diamond bee that has a 1% chance of the specialty comb in an hour assuming it can run without any stopping maxed out frames the entire time.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thank you so much for the quick answer! This is exactly what I was thinking and trying to avoid, but if it's the only way of increasing the production, then whatever. Does the cap have any value to it? In other words, is there a way to calculate, for example how many diamond combs I would get or what is the chance of getting a diamond comb every time the bee ticks with a maxed out frame alveary? I want to be (bee pun :p) able to get an estimate on how many diamond combs I can get out of a diamond bee that has a 1% chance of the specialty comb in an hour assuming it can run without any stopping maxed out frames the entire time.
I have been curious about this and the mutator mechanics too for a long time, but haven't been able to find any solid info on anything. Think it is all down to the fact that Binnie is only really active on the modding community during holidays(summer and christmas) while at Uni. So documentation can be a bit scarce.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Just use Industrial Apiaries and stick a 256x TileEntity accelerator next to it.
Only in Monster, but it's better than DW20 IMHO.
256x te accelerator? What mod is that from. It better cost a barrel of bedrockium dang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk