Has this archived thread on java arguments been updated?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forum/archived-tech-support.14/

I need to allot at least 8GB of RAM for Sphax 128x resourcepack, apparently, I'm playing Monster pack with the full Sphax addon. Given the wording in that thread, "These arguments are now outdated and not working properly! I will start a new thread when I have time under a new section since this is now archived." I'm not sure I should even read thru the suggestions and try them!

I set my RAM slider to 8 GB in the launcher. And here is my current java parameters (no idea where I got them from, set it all up ages ago).

(added a few spaces after XX: to stop smileys from appearing)

-Xms512m -XX: PermSize=128M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

and here is the suggestion from that thread for "FTB Launcher":

-Xms2048m -XX: PermSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc

Trying it now. I've read some posts that say that these java argument suggestions are still valid?

Reactions: BIG mac

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like it might be smoother, graphics-wise. Still get a freeze when I return to my base but I'm told that's due to my huge cursed earth mob farm.

But the thing I set out to fix today - the fact that Nether Ores aren't showing up with the 128x textures - is still not working. Supposedly the changelog says it was fixed. I thought memory might be my problem, but nope.

Lastly, I have 32 gigs of RAM, is there any benefit to me allocating even more than 8GB to java?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like it might be smoother, graphics-wise. Still get a freeze when I return to my base but I'm told that's due to my huge cursed earth mob farm.

But the thing I set out to fix today - the fact that Nether Ores aren't showing up with the 128x textures - is still not working. Supposedly the changelog says it was fixed. I thought memory might be my problem, but nope.

Lastly, I have 32 gigs of RAM, is there any benefit to me allocating even more than 8GB to java?
For that last one, no. If anything, it'll hurt your performance(Java garbage collection is terrible. It gets all wonky around 4 and/or 8).

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Found this in another thread

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/less-lag-tips.48267/#post-709183

-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=0 -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50 -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Xnoclassgc -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:UseSSE=3

Edit: Except it gives me an error and doesn't run. Oh well.

Edit the edit: DOH. I copied all the text except the very first character. Fixed.

Final edit: Performance was not so good, going back to the other string.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Highly doubt you need 8GB, although I have never attempted to try and 128x texture pack. But 2.5-3GB is plenty for a 64x and Monster. Allocating that much memory(8GB) is like shooting your self in the foot. Java will start doing all kind of crappy things with it, and your performance will suffer greatly for it.

As for JVM arguments, its a bit of a jungle atm. Eyamaz put out some for his BnB pack that is also included in the launcher now(the fast computer options), but those really ruins my performance in Monster(doubt they are optimized for large packs).

Instead I am using this:
Code:
-XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Think it was @Padfoote or someone who posted them in some other thread a while ago. Not noticed any specific boost with them or anything, but don't seem to hurt my performance either, so meh.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Think it was @Padfoote or someone who posted them in some other thread a while ago. Not noticed any specific boost with them or anything, but don't seem to hurt my performance either, so meh.

Those look like what I remember of @SatanicSanta's arguments, which I use. Saw a 20 FPS jump with them.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Those look like what I remember of @SatanicSanta's arguments, which I use. Saw a 20 FPS jump with them.
Ahh right, that could be. You commented on it saying just that in that other thread :p

I suspect the reason why I don't see any improvement is because my system is already brought to its knees by way too dense tech :p Haven't gone out into the world and compared.

Reactions: Padfoote

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I suggest Qaz's. Saves LOTS of FPS.
-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256M -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -DJINTEGRA_COINIT_VALUE=0 -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500 -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xverify:none -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xrs -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+UseLargePages -Xincgc -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=0

Reactions: Kill-Joy

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Highly doubt you need 8GB, although I have never attempted to try and 128x texture pack. But 2.5-3GB is plenty for a 64x and Monster. Allocating that much memory(8GB) is like shooting your self in the foot. Java will start doing all kind of crappy things with it, and your performance will suffer greatly for it.

As for JVM arguments, its a bit of a jungle atm. Eyamaz put out some for his BnB pack that is also included in the launcher now(the fast computer options), but those really ruins my performance in Monster(doubt they are optimized for large packs).

Instead I am using this:
Code:
-XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Thanks rhn, I will experiment with trying to use the least amount of memory I can and still get the sphax 128x to work. But that's a tedious process with a lot of FTB re-starts so I'll probably do it some other time.

And I'll keep experimenting with the java arguments, thanks for all the input. I think my rig is good enough where java arguments are more like the icing rather than being the cake itself. Never have much worry about frame rate in any game I play.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Try running your ftb instance with MultiMC. The launcher is horrible with load times on my pc but MultiMC is quick and easy to adjust settings. It'll make testing a lot quicker if you're having launcher load issues. It won't help the pack loading though.

Reactions: Padfoote

Fenster22

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone.
I was hoping to jump in here and get some advice on de-lagging my Minecraft experience.

I play on a multiplayer server with a couple friends and we are running FTB: Monster. I am using the John Smith Legacy resource pack (x32). I am allocating 2 gm of RAM (of my total of 5 GB) to monster and have inputted the "Permsize 128" into the Java arguments within the launcher. I am still getting intermittent lag that has killed me twice in the last day as well as just being generally annoying.
I've also installed 64bit java to go with my 64 bit windows 7 OS.

It ALWAYS lags when I access my inventory, click on my crafting bench, access my storage chests or ovens.

I have optifine and I run things at low levels across the board.

Now, I used to play Attack of the B-Team on a multiplayer server while running the 64 bit Sphax pack with no lag at all.

What exactly is going on and how can I fix it? Minecraft has never lagged in the past.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone.
I was hoping to jump in here and get some advice on de-lagging my Minecraft experience.

I play on a multiplayer server with a couple friends and we are running FTB: Monster. I am using the John Smith Legacy resource pack (x32). I am allocating 2 gm of RAM (of my total of 5 GB) to monster and have inputted the "Permsize 128" into the Java arguments within the launcher. I am still getting intermittent lag that has killed me twice in the last day as well as just being generally annoying.
I've also installed 64bit java to go with my 64 bit windows 7 OS.

It ALWAYS lags when I access my inventory, click on my crafting bench, access my storage chests or ovens.

I have optifine and I run things at low levels across the board.

Now, I used to play Attack of the B-Team on a multiplayer server while running the 64 bit Sphax pack with no lag at all.

What exactly is going on and how can I fix it? Minecraft has never lagged in the past.
Optifine is a gamble try without it. Second try some JVM args like @Qazplm601's. Third try bumping up the available RAM to 2.5 or 3 gigs

Reactions: buggirlexpres