Gunpowder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any efficient ways to make gunpowder, aside from making a creeper soulshard?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Witch soulshard.

Also firebats and ghasts.

Speaking of which, you do know that monsters from a vanilla spawner count towards souls, right?

Also, did you know that you can meld two soulshard on the anvil? The one on the left is which monster the resulting shard will be.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
How about going for bees?

GenerikB has 4 alviaries of them, and it seems to produce at quite an incredible rate.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Witch auto-spawner. I do not think I will ever make hard to obtain soul shards again. Give me a couple domestic animal shards and an auto spawner any day.

Reactions: Rusty79

joel42

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest going with bees, but only if you've already started breeding a bit. The bee you'd be looking for is Austere, which needs to be bred in the nether, unless using alveary upgrades. It's fairly low on the mutation chain, so if you really want gunpowder, even one apiary or alveary setup with frames will get you a lot of gunpowder, as long as you pipe the bees back in when they die.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Strip a waste land bare of its cracked sand with the wand of equal trade and grind the cracked sand to dust before centrifuging it to get salt peter. Now go into the nether and mine a lot of Greg techs nether ores while avoiding the ones that anger the pigmen. Process those nether resources to get a ton of suffer to combine with your salt peter to make a lot of gun powder.

Or you can go the easy route and get a creeper soul shard which you can combine with a much easier to get zombie or skelly teir 5 shard to get your creeper soul shard. Also note that combining soul shards is a unintended bug and the new versions of soul shards will nerf it as well as getting rid of rare drops from soul shard spawned mobs, aka no more wither skelly head farms.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Except that it's not in NEI. At least not in mine. I just checked. Must be one of those "secret" recipes.
Smooth.
Just like glowstone from IC2 being redstone and gold dust. And nukes, I believe. And "superfuel"

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone+coaldust is quite... costy. I think, that would me my problem too (gunpowder), so, I guess I have to start breeding beezzz.
And is there something like blazerod bees?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone+coaldust is quite... costy. I think, that would me my problem too (gunpowder), so, I guess I have to start breeding beezzz.
I don't think there is blaze rod bee, but there are blaze powder bees, last one from embittered line and fire shard one. Thaumic bees also can give you blaze powder from magical flowers.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. And that bee is a pain to breed, isn't it? I'm sorry, I'm just not a bee person... Never did serious beeding

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'd suggest going with bees, but only if you've already started breeding a bit. The bee you'd be looking for is Austere, which needs to be bred in the nether

Not correct. Austere's will mutate anywhere, and in fact their preferred biome is desert. One of the two bees required to mutate to Austere can itself only be mutated in the Nether.

Also, Austere bees will not make gunpowder unless they're in an arid/dry biome like desert or savanna. Batty and Creeper bees will make gunpowder anywhere, but Austere is significantly faster.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019

The recipe gives you three gunpowder, so it works out to a little more than 8 redstone per TNT, and roughly 40 redstone per iridium plate. Which isn't that bad.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe not very bad for iridium, but if you make bullets, it kinda stupid...
And main issue is not redstone, it's coal, isn't it? Coal is valuable. Coal is diamonds, carbon plates and so on...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Lemme tell ya, Nether Coal makes coal dust worries a problem of the past. Just grind those up in a pulverizer (get thorium dust from it, as well), and use to your heart's content. I'm not sure if it works in the current version of Nether Ores or not, but used to be, mining the ores via mining laser (on low focus mode, for precision and low power usage) didn't anger pigmen.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe not very bad for iridium, but if you make bullets, it kinda stupid...
And main issue is not redstone, it's coal, isn't it? Coal is valuable. Coal is diamonds, carbon plates and so on...

Diamonds are worthless to me. I'd trade them 1:1 for AE quartz or 1:4 for copper if I could.

Reactions: Matthew83