Gregtech Industrial Grinders vs. Upgraded Rotay Macerator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
from my testing in ultimate rotary macerators have a significantly lower top speed than standard macerators considering GT stack size limits. They both suck insane amounts of power at that point though. If EU is a non-concern and you simply want speed in a single machine standard maceration is the way to go.

YourLocalMadSci

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not really sure if converting quicksilver into extra gold dust is really worth it.

Gold probably isn't. Using mercury with ferrous ores to get extra platinum totally is. I need every tasty iridium nugget I can find, and 'fuging platinum dust is one of the best ways to go about it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
A fully faced grinder integrated into an ME network is one of my favourite looking things in the game, it's also pretty good on resource processing and can be full automated, what's not to like :)

Conspicuous Consumption:

2013-04-18_05.49.31.png

Unfortunately, I just don't need more resources, so I never made the 3 other heads for the grinder. I did wire it up in case I ever did.

If I had made all four, two would be getting water, one mercury and one sodium persulfate. All automated in their production. Just like one blast furnace head gets calcium carbonate.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
I use overclocked rotary macerators simply because by the time I need the processing speed of multitudes of those things I don't really care about the extras.
But yeah, if you want/need the extras the gregtech grinder is simply better.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You can pump water into an industrial grinder however there is no indication in the GUI that any water is present. Simply drop your ores in and off it goes (pumped water into left side using liquiducts).

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
You can pump water into an industrial grinder however there is no indication in the GUI that any water is present. Simply drop your ores in and off it goes (pumped water into left side using liquiducts).

Are you using a texture pack? I see water in my gui (default textures)

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Even if you are pumping water into the grinder you can still put cells in the cell slot if you want to use some of the exotics to increase output.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
from my testing in ultimate rotary macerators have a significantly lower top speed than standard macerators considering GT stack size limits. They both suck insane amounts of power at that point though. If EU is a non-concern and you simply want speed in a single machine standard maceration is the way to go.

... what?

Rotary Macerators grind up ores faster than my gates can pull them out. I could cook a turkey in the time it takes a normal macerator to grind a stack of coal.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
... what?

Rotary Macerators grind up ores faster than my gates can pull them out. I could cook a turkey in the time it takes a normal macerator to grind a stack of coal.
With 12 upgrades rotary macerators were taking several times as long as a standard macerator for me. The standard macerators seem to scale better. And yeah, both would be faster than a single redstone engine (or gate) could withdraw.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
... what?

Funny, you can cook a turkey in 3.2 seconds?

(Hint: You can get a normal macerator to 1 item/tick.)

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
With the new 1.02 update to Ultimate, you can upgrade Gregtech machines as well using Overclockers, Transformer, Energy Storage upgrades. I haven't been able to get more than one overclocker into any of the Gregtech machines thus far mostly due to the const. energy demand problem, but I suspect you could substantially increase the speed of the grinder using 3 or 4 overclocker upgrades. (Also haven't found a way to remove an upgrade from a machine, really stupid design compared to regular IC2 machines)

Side Question: Anybody know what the 'M' upgrade is that Gregtech refers to when you hold shift and mouse over some of his machines? There's O T B M, overclock, transformer, battery, and ?????.

Regardless I've always used Rotary Macerators, or at very least regular macerators with Overclocker upgrades. Easier to automate using Logistic Pipes, and I don't care much for the extra dusts, just make things more complicated.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Rotaries should only need 3-4 instead of 13 to reach an item per tick since they start off at .6 seconds per operation at 7500 RPM.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I think they scale using a different system.
Unless they modified the default overclocker each overclocker reduces the operation time to 70% of what it previously was. So 3 of them should bring the speed to just over 1 tick.

A fully heated rotary macerator is the same as 10 overclockers in a regular macerator so it stands to reason you would only need 3 more to reach the peak just like a macerator.

E: Actually just read through the config I'll adjust the numbers in a second.

EE: Actually screw the poor documentation on that. So freaking dumb.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Unless they modified the default overclocker each overclocker reduces the operation time to 70% of what it previously was. So 3 of them should bring the speed to just over 1 tick.

A fully heated rotary macerator is the same as 10 overclockers in a regular macerator so it stands to reason you would only need 3 more to reach the peak just like a macerator.

E: Actually just read through the config I'll adjust the numbers in a second.

EE: Actually screw the poor documentation on that. So freaking dumb.

I agree that by the math they should be, which is why I was surprised to find that in practice they are not. In practice adding even a full 16 overclockers I get down to only 25 seconds to process a full stack. Macerators, which need an energy storage upgrade and thus only get 12 overclockers can do a full stack in 20 seconds. I think it is because the rotary macerators do not increase speed directly with overclockers, but rather increase the max speed, which has worse scaling than a direct speed reduction.

Personally I use slightly overclocked rotary macerators for the main processing, and only use a highly overclocked standard macerator for the on-demand stuff as part of auto-crafting.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I agree that by the math they should be, which is why I was surprised to find that in practice they are not. In practice adding even a full 16 overclockers I get down to only 25 seconds to process a full stack. Macerators, which need an energy storage upgrade and thus only get 12 overclockers can do a full stack in 20 seconds. I think it is because the rotary macerators do not increase speed directly with overclockers, but rather increase the max speed, which has worse scaling than a direct speed reduction.

Personally I use slightly overclocked rotary macerators for the main processing, and only use a highly overclocked standard macerator for the on-demand stuff as part of auto-crafting.
Yeah after my own testing I said screw it and doubled the top speed increase to 1000 and upped the accel rate while lowering the power increase.

Why even put upgrades in if they're not as good? :\

Oh well configs exist for a reason I suppose.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so here's what I found after extensive testing.

To reach the same speeds that a Rotary Macerator provides at its default full speed, a Macerator will consume more power per tick than an MFE can supply. However, a normal Macerator will also outpace a Rotary macerator at max speeds presumably because of differences in scaling, as Milaha said.

My macerator was literally eating more power than an Industrial Blast Furnace with 9 upgrades. It can't outpace the Rotary Macerator without eating massively larger amounts of energy. And I mean massively larger.