Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
and now instead of " you dont like gt? just uninstall it/ edit config" there will " you lack mods bro? add them!" kind of bullshit. great, just great...

the thing that bugs me: there is a possibility that gt will crash if "bad mods" were added to unhinged pack.

Reactions: Flipz and RedBoss

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
There is no exploit or potential world breaking situation from the vanilla recipe 1 wood = 4 planks

Well yeah, the exploit is 1 wood = 4 planks when you leave it configured at 1 wood = 2 planks. Just like getting 4 bronze would be an exploit if you configured it at 2 or 1. Just like getting 18-36 ingots back from breaking a compressed metal block would be an exploit. It's really easy to fix too (going either way) in configs, so I don't know why you'd ever want to play with broken/mismatched configs.

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Well that was a minute of my life wasted giving an answer to a guy who didn't want an answer, suppose the last few hours could be categorized into that, oh wells, good night ... hopefully Slowpoke has the new packs running tomorrow (probably not, but I can always dream) Don't want to waste time on a server that will be disappearing shortly.

Bob after reading your walls of text I have to say it's not wasted. I feel the same way as you. Of all the MC drama this one is the first one I really feel adamant about. Call it professional pride or whatnot. Every profession has unwritten rules and he just broke a major one on purpose over a petty argument, and lets be clear whether a log gives 2 or 4 wood is petty. In the real world that is termination on the spot and a lot of employers wouldn't hire him if they were aware of it.

I'm having a bit of an issue ATM because it looks like FTB is going to give Greg a modpack which IMHO is a sign of support/condoning his actions. As a programmer he pretty much committed the ultimate sin and to me that is completely unacceptable. That also potentially allows their users to be exposed to his next tantrum and no telling what he may or may not do. On the other side of the coin there are a lot of people that love GT and want to play that mod. FTB would like to meet those needs and ripping it out would cause world issues. Since this is all still in flux what I'm hoping for is that they make the GT modpack a private pack. That would keep it off the main launcher but still allow users that wish to use it to get the pack.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
No. Absolutely no recipe and no potential recipe is an "exploit". If I choose to turn on a recipe that gives me 64 planks for one wood, it is still not an exploit.

Nobody but me gets to say what is an exploit on my game. This is not negotiable.

If you turn on a recipe that gives you 64 planks for one wood, but leave a recipe from another mod that gives you 4 planks for one wood, there's a conflict and one of them needs to be turned off to resolve the cross mod exploit. Yes you do get to decide, but leaving both on is not deciding anything. It's just derping around.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If you turn on a recipe that gives you 64 planks for one wood, but leave a recipe from another mod that gives you 4 planks for one wood, there's a conflict and one of them needs to be turned off to resolve the cross mod exploit.

There is no conflict, the game runs just fine with duplicate recipes, even when the outputs are different. There is no exploit, because its my game and I say there is not.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If you turn on a recipe that gives you 64 planks for one wood, but leave a recipe from another mod that gives you 4 planks for one wood, there's a conflict and one of them needs to be turned off to resolve the cross mod exploit. Yes you do get to decide, but leaving both on is not deciding anything. It's just derping around.

changed output from a recipe isnt an exploit. period. you should clarify your definition of an exploit if you really want to push this point, which is wrong, based on my definition of word "exploit".

PS. gt sawmill causes a wood dupe exploit to be possible.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well yeah, the exploit is 1 wood = 4 planks when you leave it configured at 1 wood = 2 planks. Just like getting 4 bronze would be an exploit if you configured it at 2 or 1. Just like getting 18-36 ingots back from breaking a compressed metal block would be an exploit. It's really easy to fix too (going either way) in configs, so I don't know why you'd ever want to play with broken/mismatched configs.

By that logic Gregs bronze ingot crafting recipe is an exploit. The exploit is 3 copper ingots + 1 tin ingot = {1;2;111} when forestry unconfigurably makes it 3 copper ingots + 1 tin ingot = 4 bronze ingots. The only exploit is that greg chose to add a recipe that dupes this one because he's a "genius".

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that. However, this pack is so weak that I doubt alot of people are even going to choose it. Ah well. back to playing on custom servers[DOUBLEPOST=1374323951][/DOUBLEPOST]

I've done all of that, and the bottom line is that the pack is weak. I'll just continue using a custom pack as i've been the past 2 months because the FTB team has been too lazy to put out a proper 152 pack.

This is largely, Greg's pack. You're saying Greg's pack is weak? Please, tell Greg and us what should be added and altered! Part of the solution, or part of the whining problem. Which are you?[DOUBLEPOST=1374327656][/DOUBLEPOST]
and now instead of " you dont like gt? just uninstall it/ edit config" there will " you lack mods bro? add them!" kind of bullshit. great, just great...

the thing that bugs me: there is a possibility that gt will crash if "bad mods" were added to unhinged pack.

Go take it up with Greg. Logically and seriously speaking.[DOUBLEPOST=1374327738][/DOUBLEPOST]
the exploit is 1 wood = 4 planks

This is not an exploit. This is Vanilla. Greg provides an alternative to Vanilla. It is not an exploit.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
changed output from a recipe isnt an exploit. period. you should clarify your definition of an exploit if you really want to push this point

Good point. I consider an exploit when one mod has a recipe (or a very similar recipe) one way and another mod has it another way in such a fashion that more of the same resources are obtained from one recipe than the other. This is usually resolvable by editing configs or removing the mod that is causing the conflict. Where such conflicts are unresolved, one can encounter both recipes being active at the same time which can and has caused problems in the past.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Bob after reading your walls of text I have to say it's not wasted. I feel the same way as you. Of all the MC drama this one is the first one I really feel adamant about. Call it professional pride or whatnot. Every profession has unwritten rules and he just broke a major one on purpose over a petty argument, and lets be clear whether a log gives 2 or 4 wood is petty. In the real world that is termination on the spot and a lot of employers wouldn't hire him if they were aware of it.

I'm having a bit of an issue ATM because it looks like FTB is going to give Greg a modpack which IMHO is a sign of support/condoning his actions. As a programmer he pretty much committed the ultimate sin and to me that is completely unacceptable. That also potentially allows their users to be exposed to his next tantrum and no telling what he may or may not do. On the other side of the coin there are a lot of people that love GT and want to play that mod. FTB would like to meet those needs and ripping it out would cause world issues. Since this is all still in flux what I'm hoping for is that they make the GT modpack a private pack. That would keep it off the main launcher but still allow users that wish to use it to get the pack.

That then would look far less like a total cave-in, & as the person in question has stated clearly many many times he cares nothing for packs only his core player base, but never going to happen things are set in stone now it would seem.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
This is largely, Greg's pack. You're saying Greg's pack is weak? Please, tell Greg and us what should be added and altered! Part of the solution, or part of the whining problem. Which are you?

Greg's pack is weak, and Greg wants it that way. He's horribly inconsistent - TF is literally the mod to get the fastest amount of ores in the lease effort short of a multiple dense ores mystcraft age. Dimensional doors is a path to high quantity, zero risk dungeon loot.

Ata bare minium, any mod he views as so unbalanced it needs him to change it is a mod that's too easy for the pack.

Reactions: lolpierandom

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Good point. I consider an exploit when one mod has a recipe (or a very similar recipe) one way and another mod has it another way in such a fashion that more of the same resources are obtained from one recipe than the other. This is usually resolvable by editing configs or removing the mod that is causing the conflict. Where such conflicts are unresolved, one can encounter both recipes being active at the same time which can and has caused problems in the past.
An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers
if you read the full article, you wont find your definition there. what you`re talking about is nothing more than a conflict in design.

Reactions: lolpierandom

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019

Ehh. I've never said that. I've always said that 152 has a NGT and a WGT pack. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
So by that flawed logic, Factorization ore tripling is an exploit because the IC2 macerator only doubles. And the TE pulverizer is an exploit because it doubles ores and give a percent chance for bonus ore.

So now please explain which mod is correct and how to solve these errors.

You can't. They're recipes not exploits.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
This is largely, Greg's pack. You're saying Greg's pack is weak? Please, tell Greg and us what should be added and altered! Part of the solution, or part of the whining problem. Which are you?

This is why I asked whos responsible for the pack.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Ehh. I've never said that. I've always said that 152 has a NGT and a WGT pack. I'm not sure what you're referring to.
you seem to be lost. i wasnt talking to you. after recent announcement of unhinged and unleashed pack, i doubt that ngt and wgt pack will make it.[DOUBLEPOST=1374328757][/DOUBLEPOST]
So by that flawed logic, Factorization ore tripling is an exploit because the IC2 macerator only doubles. And the TE pulverizer is an exploit because it doubles ores and give a percent chance for bonus ore.

So now please explain which mod is correct and how to solve these errors.

You can't. They're recipes not exploits.
you forgot to mention industrial grinder!

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
so if such to happens, FTB team won`t care, because:

am i correct about it?

No. If you think, we don't care, about a pack we make .. you're trying to find an issue.

Stop being one sided. We're in this together, we are listening, we are trying to find a path that works for everyone .. and works with balance .. and works with the mod authors wishes .. and .. well, you get the idea.

I will be opening up threads on all the packs very soon. I welcome constructive commenting in them, and any assistance to making the packs better, will be warmly welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.