Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnoff

Mar 25, 2013
CrissHill - But only Greg attacked end users in order to win, and is PROUD of it, bragged about how effective it was. Correct?

Unacceptable. Full stop. This is the terrorist mindset of "we will hurt a bunch of people until we get what we want from OTHER people."

flappy

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, What Siro said was: Most of those recipes are overwritten by Modular power suits FOR modular power suits, MFR for MFR, Advanced Solars for Advanced Solars.. Greg isnt overwriting them. So your fear for greg "FIXING" computercraft and thaumcraft are almost completely baseless.

So is the recipe override.
What recipe override?
TCon just adds new recipes from what I've read.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
CrissHill - But only Greg attacked end users in order to win, and is PROUD of it, bragged about how effective it was. Correct?

Unacceptable. Full stop. This is the terrorist mindset of "we will hurt a bunch of people until we get what we want from OTHER people."

Though I agree, calling Greg a terrorist is a bit extreme.

--

Well, I'm for now, probably won't be back for 9 hours or so.

Anikdote

Jul 29, 2019
How is throwing an exception when your mod isnt compatible malicious in any way, pray tell?

If you're ever written any code, you know good and well there are multiple ways to handle exceptions. It could have been nested in a try/catch block that simply let the user know that the GT recipe had been modified and if they wanted to change it back to the GT version then do X, Greg didn't do that, instead he opted to throw a game crashing exception.

Quit praying on the ignorance of some folks on this board. It's overt and obvious to anyone who's ever opened VS or eclipse.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
How is throwing an exception when your mod isnt compatible malicious in any way, pray tell?

When it harms the users by crashing their game. Like Greg did. The only "harm" from mDiyo's recipe alteration of Greg's recipe alteration is to Greg's "vision", which was clearly interfering with mDiyo's. And once again, mDiyo did *exactly what Greg does with his recipe changes*. Why is it ok for Greg to do, and not mDiyo? The harm from Greg's code affected every single user with both mods installed. It's pretty simple to see which one is worse.

Even if you want to argue that mDiyo "started it" (as opposed to changing the very first recipe in the game "starting it"...), Greg's retaliation is clearly worse overall.

Offtopic: Seriously, sometimes I wonder if Greg and his supporters are secretly just massive trolls who love to see people annoyed. I cannot fathom people defending willingly crashing the game for every user as a response to hypocritical spat about someone changing his recipes, especially considering that is one of the main functions of Gregtech.

Ragnoff

Mar 25, 2013
I did not call Greg a terrorist, I said he uses the same mindset. I personally think the difference between Greg and Terrorists is simply is a matter of degree as they use the same principle, but virtual attacks in games do not take lives and thus are of a different magnitude.

Anikdote

Jul 29, 2019
What recipe override?

He undid a GT recipe change to the vanilla log = 4 planks. He did so after those changes are typically implemented, it was on purpose, however the response could have been anything other than a game crashing exception and Greg chose to go with the the game crashing exception route instead of many other options at his disposal. Not the first time and not likely to be the last.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
So is the recipe override.
What we have here is a completely new precedent.

Is modding a recipe from another mod malicious? Pretty sure it is, but it isn't a change that impacts the game's functioning.
Intentionally crashing a game just because another mod touched it? That's an outright overreaction and is a far bigger headache for people who put together modpacks like the FTB team and mod authors than standalone GT end-users. Especially when he could have used any other method to do so.

Well, at least it's good to see that it's out for good.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
That wasn't what relight was saying. There is a difference between being compatible, and Greg changing recipes because "dey r 2 op guise". Computers requiring iridum, 1 of an aspect per item, etc.

It's a common misconception. Whenever a mod adds Gregtech recipes, people often complain about Gregtech as if he were the one actually adding that recipe. This happens quite frequently with Advanced Solars and since that mod was mentioned by relight as a potential factor in a recipe Greg could possibly add, I thought it was worth reiterating.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
When it harms the users by crashing their game. Like Greg did. The only "harm" from mDiyo's recipe alteration of Greg's recipe alteration is to Greg's "vision", which was clearly interfering with mDiyo's. And once again, mDiyo did *exactly what Greg does with his recipe changes*. Why is it ok for Greg to do, and not mDiyo? The harm from Greg's code affected every single user with both mods installed. It's pretty simple to see which one is worse.

Even if you want to argue that mDiyo "started it" (as opposed to changing the very first recipe in the game "starting it"...), Greg's retaliation is clearly worse overall.

Offtopic: Seriously, sometimes I wonder if Greg and his supporters are secretly just massive trolls who love to see people annoyed. I cannot fathom people defending willingly crashing the game for every user as a response to hypocritical spat about someone changing his recipes, especially considering that is one of the main functions of Gregtech

For me, i think half of the people here think that 'crashing the game' means that it just randomly crashes during gameplay. When actually what it does is halting execution of minecraft, gives you an error about what's causing it (just a bit immature one). I do think that instead of crashing the game he should just unload GT and let people play around with Tconstruct.

Also about Greg and his supporters, the haters seem to be much worse. It's been waving hands and screaming "WAAH WAAH", when 90% dont even understand what's going on.

Alex Cubed

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, my GT ores look a bit funny. I know they're supposed to be camouflaged but this is what they end up like:
DKa28eA.png
I tried changing the graphics to fancy and still got the same bug. What do?

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019

Yes that is correct, and no it's not even near terrorist mindset.

Anikdote

Jul 29, 2019
Also about Greg and his supporters, the haters seem to be much worse. It's been waving hands and screaming "WAAH WAAH", when 90% dont even understand what's going on.

Welcome to 99.99999999% of all development. End users only care about a binary condition of work/don't work, Greg went so far as to make the 'software ignorant' end users game crash and unless you're savvy enough to understand the conditions of that exception then all you know is that, "it don't work". That IS NEVER ACCEPTABLE, never, I can't believe anyone who's ever read or wrote a single line of code would think throwing an exception of that sort is tolerable, it's entirely baffling to me.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Well, at least it's good to see that it's out for good.

What is out for good? I think the only thing that is obvious now is that TConstruct and GT will never be in the same pack. But GT afaik is still gonna be in FTB though?

flappy

Jul 29, 2019
He undid a GT recipe change to the vanilla log = 4 planks. He did so after those changes are typically implemented, it was on purpose, however the response could have been anything other than a game crashing exception and Greg chose to go with the the game crashing exception route instead of many other options at his disposal. Not the first time and not likely to be the last.
I know what he did.
My point was, afaik it's not an override.
It's just Diyo adding another recipe.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to 99.99999999% of all development. End users only care about a binary condition of work/don't work, Greg went so far as to make the software ignorant end users want to use crash and unless you're savvy enough to understand the conditions of that exception then all you know is that, "it don't work". That IS NEVER ACCEPTABLE, never, I can't believe anyone who's ever read or wrote a single line of code would think throwing an exception of that sort is tolerable, it's entirely baffling to me.

But these users never even got to download a version of GT that crashed! :D

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Thats due to him trying to create "hidden ores" I believe. It disguises the ores with the block around it. It obviously isn't working atm though.

Well, it appears the comment I was responding to has disappeared. hehe. Disregard this post.

Nvm.... it just moved position... wtf is wrong with this thread atm? Even the quote disappeared from my post!

Anikdote

Jul 29, 2019
But these users never even got to download a version of GT that crashed! :D

And? The FTB community ought to endore and/or condone this type of behavior? I for one certainly think not.

Stability is a concern for the modpack compilers, a dude who's willing to do this now, will do so again in the future..... never mind that this isn't the fire time he's engaged in such behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.