Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
HA. That's a joke. It was all Greg, Mdiyo just changed one little thing and Greg completely freaked out.

Nobody was attacking anybody until Greg made minecraft crash with TC.

I know what happened because i've seen the code. I'm not sure if you have.[DOUBLEPOST=1374171809][/DOUBLEPOST]
no it really isn't, that is called malware, and is illegal under most circumstances, someone used his product and it broke something, that is the equivelant of someone walking into a house and the house being designed to fall down when this happened, albeit to a less serious degree, that was the only analogy I could come up with

Nah sorry it's not illegal to stop a product you make from starting. Also it doesn't cause you nor anything you own any harm. Malware actually needs to cause permanent damage, GT doesnt.

Reactions: Itaros

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
no it really isn't, that is called malware, and is illegal under most circumstances, someone used his product and it broke something, that is the equivelant of someone walking into a house and the house being designed to fall down when this happened, albeit to a less serious degree, that was the only analogy I could come up with
If someone not intentional will go into my house, shall I give him my car, money and feed him?

Anikdote

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but this will remove the legacy, breaking chain of succession in versions, making my choice of pack invalid, for example. The optimal way was stated here: 2 packs - with and without GT, as a warning to Greg and as a lesser evil to users.

Two versions already exist in private packs, it's a slap on the wrist for what in any other coding community would garner ostracizing.

If you don't like what another mod author does, you discuss it, not attack end users. Not to mention this is hardly the first such incidence from Greg. I stand firm, as a software engineer myself allowing this type of behavior to stand creates a horrendous precedence. If Greg was really concerned about the folks using his mod do you think he'd act in this way? I certainly think not, this is ego fueled and below contempt.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
Untli relatively recently only way to fix the exploit was to disable storage block smelting on GT side. Luckily mDyio did added a config option on his side as well later down the line and after lots of drama.
Do you know that GT has code in it that will cause the game to crash whenever some mod tries to override some item ID he is using to prevent item ID conflicts? Would that be similarly bad reason for crashing the game?
did you even read the post?! that was the entirety of what she was talking about, take more than .25 seconds to read what someone is saying, the pie analogy, that was the crash dumbass[DOUBLEPOST=1374172284][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nothing will stop him... If he wants, he can add all the addons for IC2 to that blacklist, which will be hilarious. It's true that he went too far. About the wood... MFR harvester, planter and fertilizer are enough to get you tons of wood so I don't see a reason to get so mad but xD.... your opinion. Also it's mDiyo not Mdyo ;)
its not the nerfs people are mad about, its the intentional crashing of the game greg added in

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I know what happened because i've seen the code. I'm not sure if you have.[DOUBLEPOST=1374171809][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nah sorry it's not illegal to stop a product you make from starting. Also it doesn't cause you nor anything you own any harm. Malware actually needs to cause permanent damage, GT doesnt.

Anyone can easily say such things. If they don't have proof to back it up, they're claims are useless.

If someone not intentional will go into my house, shall I give him my car, money and feed him?

This makes little to no sense.

Have anybody else noticed the "New Users" that just joined today or did not made a post untill today and they are using same mannerism, same sentences and they are all saying the same thing?

Indeed I have, but I'm not going to start pointing fingers.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
So quitting a mod during initialization is against that law? No sorry it's not. You should read the law again. There is no threat to you or your property if a mod refuses to start.
the mod didnt refuse to start, the mod refused the computer to allow the game to start, that is illegal

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
I... what?

Have you tried the throwing him out? And not making terrible comparisons?
Need I to be in all the buildings I have to monitor what happening? Sorry, but no xDD

the mod didnt refuse to start, the mod refused the computer to allow the game to start, that is illegal
The game application started, but mod failed to start. This is an exception - potentionaly undefined behaviour, not a destructive malware. Mod blocked himself from running in this environment. Forge Modloader decides to terminate loading process on exception. So this is legal.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
lolpierandom, mutual "fix" should lead to a perpetual loop, but this have not happened. They -resolved- this situation. What is the point of angry, removal\addition propositions? It haven't escalated. They fougth, they cooled down. No need to play judges and find a law. Tension between GT and non-GT users was a long matter, so splitting will be a good point, not radical removal or something like of that biased position.
I remember the first time I mentioned I was unhappy with the way greg was going & acting, that was way way back when I was an avid fan/player of gt, I got lambasted by GT fans for minor comments, & I must add lot of them are now very very anti GT guys n gals, the point being he who is with out sin cast the first stone, I got lambasted & from then on defensive, funny thing I still like a lot of what GT has to offer in the early versions, but managed to see whats was going to happen as I guess a lot of ppl did, no one can comment on ic2 gt section for fear of flame wars, unless looking for drama, as a lot from this forums have done in the last couple of days, that was just wrong.

The dust is starting to settle on this last ep of the "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY mod" I only used caps because its seems to fit with the msg that came with the last issue.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
It wasn't even a GregTech recipe! It was a vanilla Minecraft recipe. Even if it was a GregTech recipe, as you say, it's completely unacceptable to crash a client because of it. If you want to detect that that recipe has been changed outside of your own mod, then you can make your mod unusable by making your machines stop functioning or raising energy requirements, etc. Go for it. You'd still be an ass for it, especially in the case of vanilla recipes, but at least the game functions.
95% of gregtech is recipie changes, I have no sympathy for greg because he is a hypocrite, He crashed the game because someone other than himself did what He does to others

Reactions: ExpectingStorms

tokamaktech

Jul 29, 2019
There are a heck of a lot of people in here who really need to read Arthur Schopenhauer before they try to construct another argument.

That aside, ethically speaking, if you perform ACTION_A, then someone else performs the same or similar ACTION_A in a way which is contrary to your *wishes* (just that, wishes - it doesn't put the application or data in jeopardy, it doesn't actually *break* anything) then causing the application to throw an exception and gracefully fail over is not an acceptable response. That is unethical, irresponsible and downright childish, whatever the justifications you might throw at it. If this was industry, Greg would be looking for a new job right now.

For argument's sake, let's pretend that ACTION_A is overriding a default recipe, hmm?

Reactions: Blu_Haze

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
For me, for example, GT is a core in FTB Ultimate. I will prefer to assemble mods myself if FTB will not include GT in next iterations, instead of entering "Okay-mode" and forgetting GT xD
if you took gt out of ultimate, almost nobody would be upset by it and almost everyone would be happy about it, it is not core to ultimate, IC2 is

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
Oh stop going on about "hating". It's a game for crying out loud. Just removed the darned mod. It has no place in a quality modpack anyway with the lack of support, documentation and random 'nerfs' of whatever the author fancies when he wakes up in the morning. The recent whine spam at startup, wood 'nerf' (I mean, seriously, why are people even defending that?) and the malware are just the icing on the cake. The mod is terrible, the author is terrible and his community is terrible. Nuff said. I don't 'hate' him or his mod, that would imply it's anything worth getting worked up about. It's not good enough a mod to warrant that.
you cant remove the mod and still be able to play on servers

MarQan

Jul 29, 2019
Now replace "exploits" with "re-adding vanilla recipes" and see how silly this post sounds. The fact of the matter is Greg changed many vanilla recipes, mDiyo coded one back in, and then Greg threw a hissy fit until he got his way and was proud of doing so. Was mDiyo in the right in changing what is supposedly a configurable change? I don't know because some people said the configs for it didn't work and others said it did. Was Greg in the right for introducing malicious code into his mod that force crashed a game because he didn't like someone doing to him what he does to every mod he touches? That's an obvious no.

That's why I used the " sign, so you wuold understand, but I expected too much.
Vanilla isn't the Bible and even if it is, both was written by men, and can be wrong.
Greg is modding in 1 direct way as I said: making the game more challenging, offering a longer "playthrough". But it gave a lot of options to make the game easier by editing the config files.
Also it's an overhaul-mod, it's supposed to change other mods, that's the whole point. It's an axiom, if you're starting to handle this as a negative, then you shouldn't use gregtech in the first place, but again, that's not the mod's or the modder's fault.

As how the 2 modders handled the conflict: it was childish from both sides and THEY should settle this.

You see, bringing in the "children" only leads to conflict between players as well.

Reactions: Itaros
Status
Not open for further replies.