Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Remove it and load the game. What the problem, really? Or you need a special Ignore/Retry/Cancel dialog from developers doing this for fun, not money? I mean this behaviour would requare from Greg to mess with Forge modloading mechanism.

Removal will assault GT end-users, so you are not better than him in that case

Are you being purposely obtuse, or are you really this stupid? There is a world of difference between crashing the game and removing a mod from modpacks. Mainly since, shockingly, you can (drumroll) add the mod yourself! It's easy! Whereas decompiling the mod, removing the offending code and recompiling requires enough Java knowledge to find the specific exception throw, and external knowledge of why the game suddenly no longer works, even when all the IDs are correct and it was working perfectly* in the previous version.

Also him 'doing this for fun' doesn't excuse his behavior. Plenty of hackers hack for fun, but that doesn't make the damage they cause any better.

*Use of 'perfect' does imply support of Greg or his code. Void where void.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
I certainly hope not. If greg implemented them, they would randomly spawn around your most expensive machinery and explode with the force of a nuke when they see daylight or touch water.
the furbies would be added by TC or Natura

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Actually right now, yes it is. Any other mod that does such a thing does not do it intentionally. With the exception of BTW, sadly.

Actually right now, it isnt. alot of mods have failure conditions that will forcefully close the client if one happens. GT just happens to be using one to avoid itemID conflicts. he has every right to do so. Childish to implement it when he knew it would crash the client immediately though (at the time he implemented it)

Dittersdorf

Jul 29, 2019
So this
Nothing. because he didnt. Mdiyo did.
This mDiyo person, who does some mod I've never used (I think TinkerCraft?), is the one who wrote malicious code that crashes Minecraft? Everyone keeps saying this GregTech person wrote the crash-code. Whoever did that is the attacker, whichever one of the two it might be. It's just appeared that the GregTech person wrote the crash stuff, from what everyone is saying. If mDiyo wrote the crash-code, then I apologise profusely to the GregTech maker.

zmaster587

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I say with regard not only to gregtech but to any mod that alters anything other than vanilla that there should be a config option for each modification that by default is off. That way he who runs the mod(pack) gets to decide. I think that this is done it would solve all future problems of this same kind.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Mdiyo didn't attack GT. Mdiyo fixed the VANILLA recipe that GT changed.

Ah, but in the eyes of a Gregling, only Greg can change recipes. Only he has the game design vision to create true godly Minecraft form. Also some nonsense about configs when there is at least one Greg change without a config option, so mDiyo gets at least one no-config change.

Reactions: Greevir

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
I have noted that author is overreacting to interventions, and I made an assumption about that because of a tensions in a community around his work.
There is no point to burn him in a nether for this. If we will ask for absolute punishment we will become as the "childish-Greg-type": GT players will also suffer from radical changes in FTB mod-composition policies as in a currently discussed event of a crash-bomb. Checkbox will be a good point to Greg that he, sometimes, can be wrong in his desicions about modding his mod
his mod was malware, there is no excuse for that, you need to face up to what he has done, then install the two conflicting versions and see for your self, you will get a report that say gregtech has intentionally crashed the game in various codes[DOUBLEPOST=1374170959][/DOUBLEPOST]
What point? I've never tried to justify what greg did by crashing the game. Don't try to argue on something we are agreeing.
yes you did, you did exactly that

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
So this
This mDiyo person, who does some mod I've never used (I think TinkerCraft?), is the one who wrote malicious code that crashes Minecraft? Everyone keeps saying this GregTech person wrote the crash-code. Whoever did that is the attacker, whichever one of the two it might be. It's just appeared that the GregTech person wrote the crash stuff, from what everyone is saying. If mDiyo wrote the crash-code, then I apologise profusely to the GregTech maker.

He's wrong. He thinks that changing a recipe back to vanilla is more malicious then Greg's force-crash of the game.
Actually right now, it isnt. alot of mods have failure conditions that will forcefully close the client if one happens. GT just happens to be using one to avoid itemID conflicts. he has every right to do so. Childish to implement it when he knew it would crash the client immediately though (at the time he implemented it)
It's not an itemid conflict. He forcecrashes the game whenever ANY crafting recipe doesn't match what his mod wants.

Quit buying into the bullshit.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing. because he didnt. Mdiyo did.

HA. That's a joke. It was all Greg, Mdiyo just changed one little thing and Greg completely freaked out.

Mdiyo didn't attack GT. Mdiyo fixed the VANILLA recipe that GT changed.

Point proven. Need I say more?

No. He used a timer to delay a recipe-rewrite because he knew GT was overloading it. That was an attack towards GT.

Nobody was attacking anybody until Greg made minecraft crash with TC.

Personally I say with regard not only to gregtech but to any mod that alters anything other than vanilla that there should be a config option for each modification that by default is off. That way he who runs the mod(pack) gets to decide. I think that this is done it would solve all future problems of this same kind.

No offense, but this isn't really something that should be turned on at all.

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
Are you being purposely obtuse, or are you really this stupid? There is a world of difference between crashing the game and removing a mod from modpacks. Mainly since, shockingly, you can (drumroll) add the mod yourself! It's easy! Whereas decompiling the mod, removing the offending code and recompiling requires enough Java knowledge to find the specific exception throw, and external knowledge of why the game suddenly no longer works, even when all the IDs are correct and it was working perfectly* in the previous version.

Also him 'doing this for fun' doesn't excuse his behavior. Plenty of hackers hack for fun, but that doesn't make the damage they cause any better.

*Use of 'perfect' does imply support of Greg or his code. Void where void.
The stupid one here is only you because you allows this kind of behaviour in a conversation. Greg removed crashcode, it was an answer to attack, a warning. Why the hell the creation should be fixed? Mdiyo "fixed" something which was not broken by the vision of author. This was an invasion.

If you will find a good piece of art and draw on it your vision violantly, the creator will be pissed off, but if you ask him about helping to shape his creation - he may be even surprised in this kind of attention and will listen to you.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
The stupid one here is only you because you allows this kind of behaviour in a conversation. Greg removed crashcode, it was an answer to attack, a warning. Why the hell the creation should be fixed? Mdiyo "fixed" something which was not broken by the vision of author. This was an invasion.

If you will find a good piece of art and draw on it your vision violantly, the creator will be pissed off, but if you ask him about helping to shape his creation - he may be even surprised in this kind of attention and will listen to you.

Why do people install mDiyo's mod than? 1 log = 4 planks is his vison. Greg "fixed" something that was not broken by the vision of author. This was an invasion.

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, Greg added code (which is now gone, last time I checked) that checked if his configs were forcibly changed by another mod to cause a crash. Yes, that's not a nice thing to do. However, Greg gave everyone a choice whether they wanted the wood nerf/balance (Yes, balance. There's a reason for it and it's not just to make the game harder.) by adding a very visible config file that they were free to edit and takes at the most, 1 minute to change.
Tinker's Construct added code that detected GregTech's nerf/balance config for wood>planks and overwrites it to force it to the default version. Thus, Removing that choice for everyone. Whether they like it or not.
In this case (A short case. Lasting around a day and has already been fixed on both sides), Greg was a bad boy. But it IS his mod and he can do what he likes with it. The end user has no say in whether he should or shouldn't do it. The only thing right now, that the FTB community has a say in, is whether or not it stays in the FTB pack. The FTB developers don't edit GregTech, they don't make it or update it. So complaining here means nothing to Greg. If you have a problem with it, tell it to him on the IC2 forums. Just remember, that the same thing has been posted there enough times to be read and adding a copy of the post in his thread won't stop him from doing it next time another modder forcibly removes his config options. Also, spamming his PM box on the IC2 forums with how much you disapprove of his mod/methods is probably a bad idea, as that means he'll just empty his full inbox without reading anything and probably delete some important message from mDiyo or some other modder asking for some changes in regards to their mod. Which will make it the fault of the end user if their favourite mod stays/gets nerfed (has already happened once today).
The mods Greg alters are also free to add or change their recipes, or more preferably contact Greg about a compromise on his nerfs (Which he will most likely do if contacted). Btw, stop blaming Greg for the recipes of Advanced Solar Panels. Those were done entirely by the mod author, independent of GregTech.

As for the people raging against why people even use GregTech: It's because they want to. Because they feel the nerfs done to vanilla and other mods bring balance in the progression of each tech tree between all the disconnected mods and prolong the gaming experience. Dismissing other's positive opinions regarding GregTech simply because you don't like GT is utterly childish. More so for an extremely vocal member on these forums who seems to think himself qualified to proclaim GregTech as total trash and anyone who likes it to be either mentally handicapped or suffering from Stockholm Syndrome (which imho, should warrant an immediate ban for the countless times he's said it to various members. Not to me, mind you. I stay out of these things normally. It's no different from a religious debate since it deals with people personal feelings and nothing else.)
how is people not trusting greg because he deliberately crashed the game an emotional argument, and no there is no config option if you are playing on a server, most server owners wont take the time to modify the configs and client side configs dont apply on servers

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

Yep, stupid. Otherwise you wouldn't be defending the bullshit with more bullshit. Greg has fucked with other mods, so people can fuck with his mod. Welcome to the metaphysical concept of karma, also better insults please? I'm far too confident in my own intelligence for 'stupid' to be effective.

man i should stop doing this but twisted pleasure in being mean to fools. curses.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
No. He used a timer to delay a recipe-rewrite because he knew GT was overloading it. That was an attack towards GT.

How is that different to what GregTech already does? Is it attacking buildcraft by changing the quarry recipe? Is it attacking industrialcraft by changing almost every recipe?

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
lolpierandom, mutual "fix" should lead to a perpetual loop, but this have not happened. They -resolved- this situation. What is the point of angry, removal\addition propositions? It haven't escalated. They fougth, they cooled down. No need to play judges and find a law. Tension between GT and non-GT users was a long matter, so splitting will be a good point, not radical removal or something like of that biased position.

Reactions: tokamaktech

eragonawesome

Jul 29, 2019
It is ok that Greg crashed game intentionally

no it really isn't, that is called malware, and is illegal under most circumstances, someone used his product and it broke something, that is the equivelant of someone walking into a house and the house being designed to fall down when this happened, albeit to a less serious degree, that was the only analogy I could come up with

Status
Not open for further replies.