Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
It is NEVER okay to solve you petty idiotic ego-driven disputes by attacking a third party. NEVER.

I could go on, but fuck you for thinking that, okay?
Don't spill the words. If GT whould have automatic installation like a virus via email, syranges, dirty hands whatever this will be a third-party attack. But this was about a certain configuration you signed by installing this on your minecraft in a crystal-clear mind.

FrankieTheSnake

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I see it very black and white, if you don't like the changes, there are configs to solve that little problem for you, if you like it, keep playing, that's the reason configs EXIST. But I kinda disagree what 2 modders did to each others mod, it's something that they need to talk about with each other because those 2 mods are cool as hell. It probably happend like this : greg was in a bad mood and mdiyo was playing FTB with gregtech and he noticed all changes, mdiyo said : let's make a quick addition to my mod (he probs added a config for it even) but gregtech saw it and probably became very mad and coded a quick little malicious code. And I get that, we all aren't perfect. those are my thoughts, and altough more people frown upon greg he still remains an excellent coder with skills becasue he built this mod from scratch and made a great addition.

Reactions: Itaros

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Why does mDiyo denerf GT's nerfs? I think he does it just for trolling. That's the reason I lost respect for mDiyo. He makes great mods, sure. He might be kind, sure. But he shouldn't troll other developers, but that's just my opinion.

GTB likes to balance mods. If GTB does it, why shouldn't mDyo do the same? It may be a nerf to a nerf, but, at least in mDyo's mind (if not in everybody's), Greg's nerf was making the game unballenced. So, mDyo has all the right to nerf.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Don't spill the words. If GT whould have automatic installation like a virus via email, syranges, dirty hands whatever this will be a third-party attack. But this was about a certain configuration you signed by installing this on your minecraft in a crystal-clear mind.

oh man i bet people sign up for crashes if using tinkererererer's construct and gregtech together herp a derp a derp.

No wait they didn't.

Vermillion

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yea, since no one seemed to have mentioned this, the nerfs GT did wasn't just wood and tools - he also made vanilla hoppers require iron plates -_-
Well, if you look at them, they ARE made of iron plates.

Please note: GregTech does not alter anyone's code with his recipes. He simply has his recipes take priority over the existing ones of the mod.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, while we're on the if u dun like dun install GT point...

Okay, well if you want Greg's nerfs so bad, why install Tinkers Construct? Exact same thing for you. Ditch TiC; I doubt mDiyo cares.

Well, if you look at them, they ARE made of iron plates.

Please note: GregTech does not alter anyone's code with his recipes. He simply has his recipes take priority over the existing ones of the mod.

mDiyo didn't touch Greg's recipes. He simply made one that loaded last that makes log -> 4 planks. Since it loads last, it takes priority.
Your point is moot.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The same thing happened with mDiyo's recipe for 1 log = 4 planks. He just set it so it would load after GT and add in that recipe so it would override GT's recipe, just like GT does to other mods.

Edit: Ninja'd

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
I think people are misunderstanding the point of the topic.
The issue here isn't that Greg is being an ass, so to speak. I'm pretty sure that's well established.

The issue here is that Greg is going so far as to deliberate crash your games if anything does so much as lightly touch a single custom GT recipe. It's not just the issue with TC that's at hand here, but the fact that Greg has deliberately implemented a function that outright stops the functioning of Minecraft just because his mod doesn't play nice with another one.

My opinion as an individual players is to each, his own. You like GT? Fine, play it. I don't care since it doesn't impact me.

My opinion as someone who puts together personal modpacks, on the other hand...
Suppose I want to try GT in the future. If this were any other mod, everything would be hunky dory with a little config editing as long as there aren't explicit incompatibilities. GT, on the other hand...now that I know it contains code that deliberately crashes the game, I'm going to have to jump through multiple hoops?
I have to test every mod I'm interested in just to see if it'll play nice with GT? Furthermore, I have to make sure that every update on those other mods play nice with GT? Sorry, that's just plain overdoing it right there! It's already bad enough that I might have to reassign IDs across a hundred mods, but now I also have to worry about one mod having a tantrum large enough to crash the game just because it doesn't like any one of the other mods installed.

To put it in the lightest terms I can use...fuck that noise. It's bad enough that he introduced such a "feature" to GT, but he did it preemptively to boot! He might as well be flipping every other mod author the bird right now.

TheEpoch

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a question.

Why did mDiyo reverse the GregTech plank nerf?
Thinking back to my time playing with T Construct, there was no use of wood anywhere in the mod except to make patterns.
I might be mistaken.

I'm in no way advocating Greg's response to crash the game.
Just a simple question.

Treerat

Jul 29, 2019
This problem affects no one here. The problem was solved by GregoriusT and mDiyo within a day of cropping up. The decision of whether it stays in the Ultimate pack is SlowPoke's. All other packs have their respective developers to make that decision for them, so if you don't play Ultimate: Complain to your packs' developers and not here. The people who hate GregTech here are the minority in the face of SlowPoke who put this mod in every version of the pack and whose decision it is. Meaning, that SlowPoke is in all likelihood a firm supporter of GregTech.

So let's go over the facts:
  • Yes, we all know Greg is Dick. I'm not arguing on that point.
  • Yes, Greg made his mod crash-on-startup if you had a certain version of Tinker's Construct installed with it.
  • Yes, that was a bad thing to do. But it is GregoriusT's mod. Not yours, not mine, not mDiyos and not FTBs. It's up to him how it works, what machines it has, how it adjusts the content of other related mods and whether or not it crashes or not. You can disagree with it all you want. But the only thing you can do is uninstall GregTech or find a server that doesn't use it.
  • No, this crash-on-startup version is not and will not be part of any Feed The Beast modpack. If it has been already, it's the pack developer's fault for releasing a faulty pack without checking the contents.
  • No, GregoriusT doesn't care what you think of him or his mod. You didn't pay for it, you don't own it and you have no say in how he should govern it. It's his property and he's letting FTB use it free of charge. The only profit he and ANY modder gets from their mods is in the form of donations. If the people who really care don't like this stunt, they won't donate and that's the only way this will affect him.
  • No, Posting over and over in this thread about how much of an asshat Greg is for doing this won't get you anything, not even post count.
Honestly, I think the Forum mods should just close this thread and any others the crop up like it. It won't affect greg and the decision regarding it's life in the pack is up to SlowPoke and no amount of huffing-and-puffing will make him change his mind. Flaming others because they either defend Greg's actions (Ragnoff vs Hoho) or repeatedly declare their undying hatred for Greg is childish at best.

Right now, this is the same as a religious debate. With one side saying God is real and the other saying God is a lie, but both agreeing that the Church (not god) is still responsible for millions of innocent deaths in god's name. (No, this does not liken Greg to god.)

Except that you are overlooking a key point. mDiyo's mod is mDiyo's mod. He has the exact same "right" to make changes to other mods included with his pack as Gregtech does, and for anyone to say it's okay for so-and-so's mod to make changes but not someone else's is not only rank hypocrisy but outright stupidity. Plus there is the legal matters. Mojang is very aware of modded Minecraft. They allow their product to be modded for any number of reasons through an implied license, with the caveat that changes can not intentionally affect the stability of the game. The fact, and it is a FACT, that Gregorious put code in that intentionally crashes the game if certain changes to his pack are made by another pack is grounds for Mojang to engage in civil action against him. To say nothing of providing cause for Mojang to consider revoking that implied license to modify the basic game, leaving the entire mod-based community adrift. And all because someone with more ego than sense had a hissy fit because someone thought what was good for the goose was good for the gander.

Of course this thread wouldn't have gotten so long if the pro-Gregtech fanatics hadn't come bearing pitchforks and torches the moment someone said that their "God" was acting like a juvenile delinquent and a first-rate hypocrite. They set the tone and now that the other side has decided to not turn the other cheek they're the ones crying foul.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
The same thing happened with mDiyo's recipe for 1 log = 4 planks. He just set it so it would load after GT and add in that recipe so it would override GT's recipe, just like GT does to other mods.

Edit: Ninja'd

It doesn't override, it doesn't have to. Last loaded recipe takes priority when two+ recipes are the exact same.

All he's doing is force-creating a recipe that makes logs -> 4 planks, using his own mod.

I've got a question.

Thinking back to my time playing with T Construct, there was no use of wood anywhere in the mod except to make patterns.
I might be mistaken.

Just a simple question.

It both f-s with vanilla, and makes the templates in his mod require more wood. It also effectively blanket-nerfs every other mod or so, since most mods that require crafting things, you know, require wood.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a question.

I might be mistaken.

Just a simple question.

They are used for the patterns to create tool parts as well as the stencil, part, and tool forge tables.

TheEpoch

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't override, it doesn't have to. Last loaded recipe takes priority when two+ recipes are the exact same.

All he's doing is force-creating a recipe that makes logs -> 4 planks, using his own mod.

It both f-s with vanilla, and makes the templates in his mod require more wood. It also effectively blanket-nerfs every other mod or so, since most mods that require crafting things, you know, require wood.

Ah, well by that logic, Greg Tech doesn't play well with any other mod that requires crafting things?
But only mDiyo decided to do something about it?

Sir PITTERIX

Jul 29, 2019
I think you should make another pack with gregtech and in ftb ultimate delete gregtech and replace it with tinker's constructs.Btw what will happen when we won't
get redpower for 1.6 ?

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019

Semantics really, depending on how you take the word override.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/override I go with definition #3
Basically because his recipe has a higher priority it overrides GT's recipe even if it's not specifically coded to do so.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, well by that logic, Greg Tech doesn't play well with any other mod that requires crafting things?
But only mDiyo decided to do something about it?

Ignoring that the change is quite recent, most modders have come to, quite frankly, put up with Greg's shit.

Most of the modders seem like they really can't be bothered to deal with Greg's tantrums.

TheEpoch

Jul 29, 2019
Ignoring that the change is quite recent, most modders have come to, quite frankly, put up with Greg's shit.

Most of the modders seem like they really can't be bothered to deal with Greg's tantrums.

Its a darn shame because I personally like playing GregTech now and then.
It lengthens my enjoyment of MC. I wouldn't say it makes it harder. Just more rewarding.

Reactions: Itaros
Status
Not open for further replies.