Good vs. Evil

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
90 well, I need to give a presentation for school today together with someone else.
Due to various reasons we actually only started working on it yesterday and where done after midnight. Additionally, the one I need to give it with will be about 15 minutes late.

Great start of the day so far.....

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
90 well, I need to give a presentation for school today together with someone else.
Due to various reasons we actually only started working on it yesterday and where done after midnight. Additionally, the one I need to give it with will be about 15 minutes late.

Great start of the day so far.....
Ohh dear :(

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
91 I can go see my high school Robotics team compete! The competition on my campus starts today!

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
92 finally got mpd to behave! (well, maybe I haven't restarted yet to see if it survives that....)
Which means I have a music player running in the background which I can control using terminal commands.
This also means that I can control it using global key bindings (which should already be setup for, as those where already included by the config I used as a base) and get alerts from it.

Next step would be to move it over to my server and have it connect to the pulseaudio of my desktop. That way I can control it from anywhere. I guess I can also try the other way and connect my speakers to the server and have my desktop send all the sound over to it but I'm not sure how the network latency will effect things (if at all)....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
94 and it did not survive a restart.....
also, killall doesn't seem to want to kill mpd so....yea.... thats a small problem....

edit: after spamming various kill commands for a bit with sudo I finally killed it, and after I restarted it it all worked again.

I guess mpd now starts before pulseaudio which means it can't bind to it.

edit: looked at the log and it defiantly can't bind to pulse audio. Which means it will fallback to alsa which results in it fighting with pulse about access to alsa.

So... now its time to figure out how to properly start it after booting up

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
96 not that I'm aware off, as it is mostly made to run something at certain dates/times. You can set it to run after its done booting but then pulse is still not running as I need to be logged in. However, I used another work around. I changed the commands that control mpd by first looking if it is running and starting it if it is not.

I also discovered that my server has a line-in port. Which for those that don't know is basically a mic port except it expect a high signal like the one that normally goes to your speakers. As a result I should be able to use that instead of the network to get the sound from my desktop to my server. I'm probably going to end up with installing pulse on the server anyway, just so I can also access the speakers using the network.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
96 and.... mpd decided to boot on its own again.
I'm pretty sure I have nothing set that should make it boot though....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
96 so....using my server to control my speakers isn't exactly going to plan.
First, to route the line in to the speakers you should be able to just open alsamixer, enable the line in and set its volume. Problem being, though I could enable it it didn't have a sound bar.
I think I now know why that is, apparently its not just a line in port, but also a mic port. I suspect if I found the correct sound bar I could've enabled it with just alsa.
However, I decided to look for other options and it turned out I can do this with pulseaudio as well, and after a quick check this seemed to work.

At this time I'm getting a bit exited as I just have to move the thing over and everything should work.
So, I turn it off, remove the cables its plugged into and move it over. (This is when I discovered the port was shared). Start plugging everything back in and discover that I don't have an ethernet cable that is long enough.

Why is there always one thing that ruins everything?