Good vs. Evil

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
62. I was pleased :) I managed to get my chat in with my friend, and play and get some stuff done. I'm really warming to ChromatiCraft now - I'm reaching the end of the earlygame, I think.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
62. Just feeling generally rotten and under the weather - I had a super early night, and slept through til the kids woke me up, and even then managed to get back to sleep briefly. Weird dreams after that too. I decided to cancel my blood donation appointment tomorrow, as you're supposed to be 48 hours free of cold symptoms, and I've still got a gacky cough and unwellness.

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
63. I am VERY glad I went for Intel on my new PC Build, given the flaws in the Ryzen chipset that have been recently revealed.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
63. I am VERY glad I went for Intel on my new PC Build, given the flaws in the Ryzen chipset that have been recently revealed.
61 this one? https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...-ryzen-and-epyc-cpus-but-updates-are-incoming
Or something else?
Because if its that, it apparently needs administer rights to exploit, in which case you have bigger worries anyway.

Meanwhile, Intel has had meltdown together with specter. Remember, at least one of those (I forgot which :( ) could have been exploited using javascript running inside your browser.

I'm not saying that AMD is better than Intel, both have/had issues and both will forever have them.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
62. You should question it if it doesn't have issues. That may mean that something terribly wrong behind the scenes is going on....

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
63 I am referring to those, and I am aware about the meltdown and spectre issues. They were easily remedied however, and it looks like one of the AMD flaws is a hardware backdoor and can't be fixed. And yeah, it does need local admin, so it isn't that big a deal, but it's still worrisome.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
65 decided to make a simple game without a game library or engine in lua.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iYWHRtmfrOvXyMcMitYoYbXqlofhR5KZ
it is still far from finished, but at least you can shoot and move :)

fun fact: I don't update the whole screen each frame but instead move the cursor around to only update the parts where needed. This means that at least in that aspect its better than the game I made as a school project with pygame. Make of that what you want :p

So far however, it has been quite a pain. Lua has no way to get raw inputs and that apparently isn't something that much people need so finding anything useful about it was a challenge. I ended up with 38 lines of lua code, most of which are basically C functions that I have no hope off to ever understand how they work. Also, its posix only, so no windows. It should work on macOS though.

Also, lets not speak about making the update loop sleep for a short time so I can get a nice 60 fps as that was also quite a pain. And I'm sorry windows users (actually, not really) but this is also something that is posix only.

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
66 So, I woke up feeling like crap today, so I won't be getting any homework done. Should be able to get game stuff done, but I'd rather not feel crappy and be able to work.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
67 so, it now also writes to a file called out.txt and I'm currently writing something that reads that and spits it to the terminal at the correct speed.
If that is done it means it doesn't just auto record your session but that there is also a way to watch it back.
Also, I discovered a bug where it rewrote every character on the screen even if they didn't update.

If only I knew why the same code to let the update loop pause for a bit during the game didn't work while displaying the thing that would be great.....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
71 so.... the next thing to do is make you able to score points and after that I have something I can use to train neural networks with.

It wasn't the reason I made it, but as that as neural networks are something I find interesting it may give me a good environment to create my first one with.

If that works (or perhaps before that) I can add in more directions the astroid's (the +'s) are coming from and make you able to rotate into 4 directions as well as shoot into those.
And of course also try and make a neural network that plays it :)