Good vs. Evil

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
56. I'm getting itchy to play on Regrowth again; its been a few days and I'm starting to feel antsy. Knowing that one of my friends who joined the server quite a ways after me is already deep into Blood Magic, and I'm starting to lag behind in all the areas I wanted to be doing well in, is bugging me a bit. That always happens - I end up falling behind everyone else :(

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
56. Its true. I've been spending my idle time thinking about what I want to do next, magic-wise, tech-wise and most importantly: Infrastructure-wise. I really need to get onto building a proper base, so I've been making notes about what I'd like it to look like, what features to include, things like that. I'm fairly terrible at building, so its a slow and painful process.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
57 Ever since School I've been able to do almost nothing Minecraft-wise, and it REALLY pains me. Even this last weekend my mom decided that the first weekend after school was the perfect time to do major cleaning and guess who was voluntold to help?

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
56 I totally get needing to build a proper base, as I am currently on a ~10x10 square with no railings floating above the void. Building platforms without a builders wand is annoying

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
55. Its definitely a bit frustrating. But, I was on last night for a couple of hours and STILL didn't do any base building. I ended up trying to build the blocks needed for the Thermal Evaporation plant, parts for a few more BC lasers, and some Thaumcraft gear. Oh, and an AE2 charger. Those last two are the only ones I finished, because OH MY GOSH MARICULTURE TITANIUM BLUGHHH.

Sorry. I keep running out of the stuff, and had an idea for a better setup for it, but I wasn't going to use that until I made my new base... gah. I'm also burning through redstone like a lightsaber through butter, but again, I wasn't going to build a robot and stuff for harvesting it until I made my new base...

I love Regrowth, even the tedious bits are relatively fun, but its at the point now where I need to stop dithering and really get some proper stuff down.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
56 I usually like to get infrastructure up and running first, but in AoE I rushed to Age 5 to have the materials to do infrastructure, and the result was a giant mess :/

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
56. I bet they are! :D

Yeah, I've got a bit of a mess too. I'm annoyed with myself now, as I build an AE2 charger, and didn't realise you can actually hand crank that to make charged certus quartz! D'oh! I could have got my fluix crystals on the go already!

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
57 finally managed to turn
upload_2017-9-1_14-57-30.png
into its own module. The reason why it was so hard to do?
The module version is now 157 lines long and needs 2 other modules. One of which had to be newly created as this part relied on code from the character list module. Meaning that I also needed to change that module to get that function out of there and into the new module. This proved problematic as I needed to rewrite some code to work around the fact that this new module may not have been loaded yet by the time it gets executed.

Also, while writing all this I found a bug in my code that loads modules which caused a good bit of problems as well.....

Now, time to start writing the second panel of the page that I am working on and I finally have another page done. (But... this also requires server code so....that can take a while....)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
59 it is. I need that piece on 2 pages, maybe more and now, if I want to add it to a page I can just write
Code:
this.battleManager = new BattleManagerHelper({
       characterContainer : this.managePanel.find(".panel-body").empty(), //the place on the page where it needs to go
       config  : this.config, //config for this rp.
       rpCode  : this.rpCode, //the code (id) of the roleplay
       characters  : this.characters, //a list of characters
       modifiers  : this.modifiers, //a list of all the modifiers for the characters
     });
If I didn't do it I had to basically rewrite the code again and it also means I had to maintain a lot more code. So....a bit more work now to save a LOT more work in the future

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
59 I understand. I've run into things late in development that make me go. Why did I do this this way, if I had just made it more modular this would be so much easier, but at this point as I can't risk breaking what already exists, I need to just duplicate some code and maintain both versions.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
60 well... it mostly happens because JS is async and I had to make my own module system.
Dependencies for a page is simple, because I know that only 1 page is active at a time I and because it doesn't matter what name they have (For as long as the rest of the framework can locate the code again.) I can just use
Code:
codeHandler.registerCode({
    depends : [],//list of dependencies
    once : function(),//this function gets executed only once after this code has been loaded for the first time
    startup : function(),//this function gets executed when the user goes to this page
    shutdown : function()//this function gets executed when the user goes to another page (on the same site)
})
And though the loading of dependencies is async I can just wait until they are loaded before running once() or startup().
But, because there can be multiple modules loaded at the same time and order in that they are loaded does not need to be the same each time I can't use a trick like that for them. As a result, I need to make use of the function that loads the dependencies directly which means that I need to wait for it to be loaded manually something which can be tricky.