Good vs. Evil

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
96 X is the program that Linux uses for its graphical programs, it uses a server-client setup. You can also put x through ssh and the result would be that even through the program runs on the host(my desktop), the rendering is totally done on the connecting machine (my laptop).
Note that this is basically as far as my understanding of x goes and it may or may not be already wrong :p
You also don't have to use ssh and can just use x alone to basically get the same thing however that doesn't encrypt thus it is very unsafe.
You can also get an x server running on windows so if you have fast Internet and a windows machine that might result in better performance then using stuff like whine :p

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
98 That was kind of the idea as my laptops cpu and gpu suck putting it on my desktop would at least fix one of the things. I just need to experiment a bit more with it and eventually test it while at school. I can already predict that a lot of people will hate the suddenly slow internet :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
99 Worth a shot, I suppose...

Wait, are you having Minecraft run on your desktop at home while you access it from your laptop at school? Yeah, that'll eat a lot of bandwidth...

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
100 That will be a plan, remember though that unlike other programs to take control of another computer (like teamviewer) it doesn't send pictures over the web but rather the same stuff that normally would go to the gpu of the computer running the program. At least if I understand it correctly

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
101 Yeah, I don't know. The last times I tried using ssh -X resulted in an annoying XQuartz window on my laptop that didn't really do anything, and the program I tried to run in it didn't really work. Fortunately, that program was some random Java IDE that was only marginally more useful than vim, a text editor I'd already gotten used to using AND one that runs entirely in the terminal, so it runs through ssh just fine without having to mess with X at all.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
52 For me it worked rather nicely(as in the one time I got arround to play with it and only the 3 programs I tested it with one of which ran at 5 fps), maybe x wasn't setup correctly?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
53 Or maybe OSX and X just don't really get along.

That's a fact, actually. There's a few programs that I use that run in X, rather than whatever OSX's default windowing system is... and it doesn't work well. It does work, but there's constantly two icons showing on my toolbar (one for the actual program and one for XQuartz), clicking the actual program's icon does nothing more or less than send me right over to the XQuartz window, the ⌘-commands that I've gotten used to (primarily ⌘-C, ⌘-V, and ⌘-Q for copy, paste, and quit, respectively) instead use Ctrl like on most other systems (leading to lots of "Why isn't this thing copypasting? Oh..."), the File, Edit, Window, whatever menus in the toolbar are located at the top of the XQuartz window, rather than at the top of the screen like in Unity and most OSX applications...

Reactions: sgbros1