Good Power Source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

StaticPixel

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I am currently playing on an Unhinged server, and have been hurting for power. Currently I just have 1 Thermal Boiler hooked up with an Ender Tank, which fails to work because all kinds of chunk loading devices are blocked sadly. I could manually refill cans, but to keep a good buffer of those I would need a lot more tin.

I was thinking of making a gas turbine with methane / hydrogen cells, but I think that is a little iffy, considering the amount of power needed just to make those in the first place. Is Oil in a semifluid generator good at all?

I really need a good power source, please put down any sort of ideas you may have :)

Thank you.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
cant go wrong with fusion.
if you cant do that just yet, head over to the official reactor design thread on the IC2 forums, and get yourself a high-output fission reactor.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
sugarcane -> sugar charcoal -> sugar coke -> coal coke -> boiler -> atomsci reactor turbines/industrial steam engines.

Corjaantje has a great tutorial based off of a Lambert2191 design(which was inspired by a ShoopDesign)

Lambert has a let's play too, the build is in ep10 and onwards

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Use steam boilers. You'll find that they're expensive to run for power because you'll have to repair the steam turbines, but they'll generate a lot of power. Go solid fueled, because those are easier to provide for. And if you hook up steam ovens, they'll self fuel. You'll also need a tree farm for them, but you'll want one anyway.

StaticPixel

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't change servers, I've been with this community for over a year now.

Anyway, I'm still kind of early game, anything that would work quick and easy so that I could get other sources of power?

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
MFR Tree Farm -> Wood -> Charcoal -> Stirling Engine/Steam Engine/Generator
Nothing expensive. Good for early game.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I have to admit, I question the point of barring all chunkloaders, unless there's been abuse in the past. I mean, without them, there's no point in automation. If I want to auto-farm something, I have to stand there and wait for it. So where's the advantage? If I go mining, I have to fill up my pockets then go back and stand there while I wait for things. If I can't automate them, I end up standing there AFK, which keeps the full players worth of chunks loaded, instead of the single chunk I would get from a spot loader. Might as well play vanilla.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I have to admit, I question the point of barring all chunkloaders, unless there's been abuse in the past. I mean, without them, there's no point in automation.

Worse even: automation becomes a hazard. You can easily end up with a situation where a bunch of farms / quarries spit out craptons of entities at an unloaded chunk border and severely lag/crash the server.

Banning chunk loaders is done by terribad admins.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm surprised there's not an admin tool, that lets them say: Okay, these are server loaded chunks. They will be kept loaded without the presence of a chunkloader, but in exchange item entities cannot spawn here, so anything ejected is lost. That way you could have admin control of automation, and solve the problem of entities becoming one. Not a perfect solution, but a useful alternative to traditional chunk loading.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
My server uses the ClearLag plugin, not the most elegant solution but it is working for the most important part, cleaning up those abandoned entities.

There are also a few more ways, I do believe the chunkloader have a config to make it work only if the player is online? So it would still work for the player to do other stuffs while online.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
I've only ever used chunkloaders for troubleshooting. They don't help me in the game in any other way, but I suppose that could just be my play style.

Okay! Back on topic!

Real early game I love just making like 16 generators or so and then just manually filling them up with planks/coal/charcoal/fuel of your choice until I fill up an MFE or MFSU. Later I like putting a router with speed upgrade on the generators to make filling them up a little easier. It makes a ton of power (early game at least) for pretty cheap.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I play SSP and find uses for them.

Anyway, I also suggest the tried and true "just steal a nuclear reactor design that doesn't need baby sitting off of the IC2 forums" idea. If it requires any kind of automation, you basically are just signing your death warrant to use it without even a basic spot loader. I also suggest using Premium Russian Engineering for the On/Off switch. That is, redstone dust across a line of logs that will burn away if it's over heating. Or, I guess, if you can, Nuclear Control stuff to force a shutdown state if it is too hot. But I think the "if this log has burned away, reactor turns off" safety is cooler. Also more dangerous.

Reactions: loboca