Giving Credit where Credit is Long Overdue

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
{sorry but this will just start the drama here - redacted- JC}

Also, I realize now that this is terribly disrespectful, but I don't recognise any of the names of the mod authors leaving. Playing modpacks, without tweaking, and using the wiki for information instead of the relevant dev threads, it's hard for me to pick up names and link them to the mods they write. What mods were the leaving authors behind?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
While I understand the reasoning behind this. The wording on this thread is inviting the same drama we have asked people to leave on reddit and MCF. Thank you threads are great. But no rehashing drama good intentions or not this never ends well.

The thread has been cleaned of drama. Stick to thank yous and leave the drama on Reddit and MCF. Use google or twitter if you
desperately need to find the drama.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
{please read the moderator text above this post- JC}

So, thank you Minecraft Modders, your input has helped expand the modding scene, and in some ways helped develop vanilla minecraft. If you are leaving, hope to see you back at some point.

Reactions: lazaruz76

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
A voice from the silent majority.
Screw the drama loving kiddies. The vast "silent" majority respect the work of modders, and are thankfull for the endless hours of love that go into a lot of mods.
It's maybe time we reclaimed our community back from the very loud (but small) self entitlement brigade.

I stopped reading reddit a long time ago...

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Molten. We are the silent majority. We sit a wait with patients for the wonderful work you modders bring us. A great many of us enjoy that which you have provided and will miss your contributions to Modded Minecraft. I personally wish each of you leaving the mod scene the best of luck in your personal endeavors and hope to see you again sometime, maybe even with a new mod in tow.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Mod developers leaving isn't necessarily the end of all things good. Depending on the mod it might be the end of an era, but since Minecraft is so popular, it's reasonable to assume other people will try out modding for themselves.

That being said, it's sad to see some people leave, and the circumstances don't make it any better.

They say you don't know what you've got until you lose it. This is indeed the case here as well. Looking back at the past couple of years, a significant percentage of the fun I've had can be attributed to the hard work of mod developers. In game, it's easy for me to combine some Redstone and some metals to create a machine or tool I use to advance my gameplay to the next level of fun, but I rarely reflect on how much has to be done before I can use that recipe at all. My fun has been dependant on people taking the time to assemble code, look up tips and tricks from yet other coders, interact with a community and otherwise devoting loads of work to stuff they'll never get payment for. And all the while, I've kinda taken it for granted. That is kinda selfish...

Best of luck to the developers out there. Those who are still at it, and spend time and effort to create fun for other people. Those who have quit, but whose work provided loads of fun and maybe even inspired others to make the mods that are fun today. Those who consider starting up, and spend their evenings learning basic programming. I can't thank any of you enough.

Reactions: Molten

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
A voice from the silent majority.
Screw the drama loving kiddies. The vast "silent" majority respect the work of modders, and are thankfull for the endless hours of love that go into a lot of mods.
It's maybe time we reclaimed our community back from the very loud (but small) self entitlement brigade.

I stopped reading reddit a long time ago...

I second this, Molten. The vast majority of us have a healthy respect for modders and appreciate the donated time and efforts. It's too bad our voices cannot drown out or at least balance the Internet miscreants. Like I said in my other thread, I'd give a hug or at least a hearty handshake to the mod devs of my favorite mods, of which there are many.

You mod devs always have my respect and my appreciation.

Reactions: Padfoote and Molten

dannypeck

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to say a thank you to all the modders who have created mods, especially since 1.2.5 (when i started playing modded MC). without you, I would have deleted minecraft long ago. 99% of people who play your mods enjoy them (even those mods that make you tear hair from your scalp). that 1% are jealous of your abilities. The amount of hard work that goes into something that is free for us is just astounding, and i salute you for it. i mean, if you think of all the hours that went into each mod on a FTB pack, and then the hours it took to config/debug the pack as a whole, i'm sure we'd be looking at at least a thousand man/woman hours, if not more. thats dedication. so thank you, all of you

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
^A thousand, for a pack like FTB? Combine all the mods, and I think we're looking at a number in the high hundred thousands, possibly exceeding a million.

As for the ratio of man hours/woman hours... no comment.
EDIT: Yeah, the sentence above was poorly worded. I intended to use it to cover a possible interpretation of your wording, and perhaps make a quip about the ratio of male/female code hours, but found it to be in poor taste, so I cut it short.

By the way, I just realized there is plenty of space in the forum signature field to show some appreciation for modders. Just because the silent, satisfied majority don't make vocal threads about our satisfaction very often, doesn't mean our appreciation of the modders should be totally invisible.

Last edited:

dannypeck

Jul 29, 2019
i put man/woman hours to not suggest only men code.... not to suggest a ratio. anyway i heard windows 8 took 100 man years (8.76m man hours) so if your estimate is right, then microsoft should start hiring these guys, they make good quality stuff that works and people enjoy, and are actually good coders!
to the modders who are left, ignore the haters, they are just jealous of you (hell, im jealous, and i DO code)
keep it up, and to those who leave our modding community, whatever you do, enjoy yourselves, and remember there is always a place here for you

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion, Openblocks, a finished EE3, and more are done with modding?

I'll miss you most of all, KingLemming. When I got tired of IC2/BC, the mods that pulled me into modded minecraft, TE became my mod of choice. I never really got into Openblocks, though it looks amazing and I know people that swear by it.

At least I'll still have MFR, AE, and a few other standbys to keep me going. But damn. no more TE--end of an era, mate.

I guess I'm going to have to find a new way to process ore now. I'm not sure if I can go back to IC2. If anyone has any suggestions, send me a PM, please don't post them here.

Thanks for the mods, folks, and good luck on whatever you decide to do next.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
While I understand the reasoning behind this. The wording on this thread is inviting the same drama we have asked people to leave on reddit and MCF. Thank you threads are great. But no rehashing drama good intentions or not this never ends well.

The thread has been cleaned of drama. Stick to thank yous and leave the drama on Reddit and MCF. Use google or twitter if you
desperately need to find the drama.

I am am actually quite offended at this characterization of the discussion. Just fyi, Miss Moderator.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
It's disheartening to come back after a nice weekend and see information like this. I for one respect all modders past, present, and future for doing what I cannot, giving me something that keeps me so very entertained. To everyone who is leaving, I say the best of luck, and you will be missed.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
We as users can do our part by (continuing to) showing our appreciation and respect. This will hopefully balance out the negative energy coming from other parts of the Internet.

Also, the sky is not quite yet falling. The mod devs that recently retired or announced retirement are leaving for primarly personal (real-life) reasons. And, there are new mods with new mods devs every day. They will never replace the retiring mod devs, but life is about change. Are/were we in a "golden age" of modded MC ? We shall see.

I am am actually quite offended at this characterization of the discussion. Just fyi, Miss Moderator.

I'm assuming JadedCat deleted the most offensive comments, so she may have seen worse than us.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming JadedCat deleted the most offensive comments, so she may have seen worse than us.

It is Jaded's right and responsibility to delete posts. That does not mean that I am not allowed to be offended, or express offense, when she deletes one of mine and calls it "drama." I've started these threads because I think they're really important conversations surrounded by a constellation of misperceptions and I was hoping some forum members could rise above that and help set a reference point for the rest of the userbase.

But an uncharitable part of me thinks that allowing that debate to rage elsewhere and never letting the record get set straight benefits FTB enormously right now, so they're happy to mute discussion where they can.

A consistent them for me over the last 3 months is feeling more and more alienated and unwelcome here. This is a recent example of why.

Reactions: RedBoss

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It is Jaded's right and responsibility to delete posts. That does not mean that I am not allowed to be offended, or express offense, when she deletes one of mine and calls it "drama." I've started these threads because I think they're really important conversations surrounded by a constellation of misperceptions and I was hoping some forum members could rise above that and help set a reference point for the rest of the userbase.

But an uncharitable part of me thinks that allowing that debate to rage elsewhere and never letting the record get set straight benefits FTB enormously right now, so they're happy to mute discussion where they can.

A consistent them for me over the last 3 months is feeling more and more alienated and unwelcome here. This is a recent example of why.

This thread was not started by you. The thread you did start was locked. It was not deleted or purged.

This thread was started as a thank you to modders for their efforts. Dragging drama in from any other place is not in keeping with the spirit of saying thank you. I deleted quite a few posts in here not just yours.

Edited to add: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/bullying-and-attacks.26666/ parts of your post were in direct violation of stated forum rules.

If you break the rules as a moderator it is my responsibility to stop you. Its not personal. During the last couple days we moderators have been incredibly lenient in the form of not applying warning points every time a rule is broken because we know feelings are running a bit tense right now. I am sorry if this makes you feel unwelcome.

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
just in case...

NB4lock, delete, or armageddon.

I usually run with groups of thick skin and it does get awkward for me too sometimes participating in this forum in a non argumentative manner, but I respect this forums environment and the chosen forum rules. People come here to get stuff from people hopefully who know what they're talking about and keeping it respectful. The only difference between reddit and 4-chan users is the respective web addresses, let people be people (no offense to actual people, my apologies). Not that this needs to be about JC, as it needs to be about the high 5s deserving of current and ex modders, but I think forum actions so far have been measured. God willing MC will continue to be just a crafting table for modders, and I can continue to be given a better piston to fuck with.

{redacted the names- JC sorry}

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I think what I have to say is related to thank yous, or at least sufficiently related to the topic of thank yous that it has a place here. If not, it'll disappear and I'll know.

Having said that, I refer often to the vocal minority with regard specifically to the negativity they project. This is to include fabricated negativity derived from rumor mongering and cynical assumption to rationalized negativity ("I'm disappointed/frustrated/impatient therefore <assume worst here>") And the reason I comment on it is because if nobody does, the vocal minority gets all the attention and that makes for a very negative place. Let something remain a very negative place for long enough and we get key figures in that place deciding they'd rather take their ball and go play elsewhere. And I can't say I blame them.

We can see that now, yes? "...for evil to overtake the world...enough good people to do nothing..." A bit dramatic, but entirely relevant.

Did you see it coming? The writing has been on the wall for some time now. I saw it, and not because I'm clairvoyant or some sort of FBI profiler savant. I saw it in how people spoke about Eloraam with RP2. Where was the respect and gratitude then? All the excuses, all the justifications, all the hate run roughshod over every relevant forum that wasn't banning for it and only a handful speaking to the contrary because, "meh, I kinda see the point...I wanted it updated by now, too." The tap on the shoulder didn't provoke sentiments of respect and gratitude so things devolve until the tap on the shoulder turns into a kick to the face.

So here's to the modders for their hard work and creativity, and here's to hoping the community remembers what happens when we start acting with entitlement and disrespect.

Status
Not open for further replies.