Ghast Grinder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
So, I have come across a tier 4 ghast soul shard (after copious amounts of nether quarrying, if you have a few jetpacks on you and a couple nubs :p to go on your account, it's not all too hard). Does anyone have a setup that I could use to spawn and kill them for their tears? I don't care about XP, just the tears.

I know soul shards spawn mobs in a 9x9x3 area, but don't ghasts spawn in a 4x4x4 area? So wouldn't the spawner have to be 4 blocks tall, but since it's 3 blocks tall, I'd want to add 3 blocks above and below each way so the ghasts can spawn. So that's 9 blocks. Then, because they will spawn out 3 blocks, and I wanted to spawn the ones in the corners as well, I would have to add three blocks to each side? It would have to be 14x9x14. That's all I've got so far, I was hoping someone had a design for a ghast grinder. There's no fall damage, and they don't even fly down, making it difficult for a piston pushing system.

For all intensive purposes, let's pretend I have a tier 5.

I would try to do this myself, but I can't spawn me a new SSP world. I did download the newest version of Optifine, but it still gets stuck on "Building terrain". So if I'm going to do this on the server I want to do it right.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
This is a case of new territory I'm afraid... I have never even tried a ghast spawner. The first thing to try on them is water tho. they can't teleport or otherwise get out of the spawn chamber, so as long as you set it up so that you can turn the spawner off again you should be able to experiment freely.

other options is to use blast resistant blocks and those turrets from portalgun. golems from thaumcraft armed with a suitable weapon, and other nasty methods... maybe quicksand can work? They do need a surface to spawn on iirc, so a quicksand floor might be able to suck them down perhaps. or water can push them and drown them... the hard part is to turn the water on and off for the killing cycle...
Makes me wonder if i can cheat in a soul shard in creative and test it out myself.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to cheat one in, if not you could preform your tests in the nether with a tier 1 or 2 after egg-spawning ghasts. You can cheat a blank soul shard with tier 5, and kill one ghast. That works.

I was thinking Iron golems or Thaumcraft Iron Golems, I was just afraid because the ghasts can fight back. I was toying around with the idea of using a skeleton soul shard to get arrows and just shoot a ton of them with deployers, but I wanted to find a less intensive method.

Snowmen can't hurt ghasts, only blazes, though that would have been cool.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
cheat in a t5 soul shard and kill 1 ghast that will turn it into ghast shard
You should be able to cheat one in, if not you could preform your tests in the nether with a tier 1 or 2 after egg-spawning ghasts. You can cheat a blank soul shard with tier 5, and kill one ghast. That works.

I was thinking Iron golems or Thaumcraft Iron Golems, I was just afraid because the ghasts can fight back. I was toying around with the idea of using a skeleton soul shard to get arrows and just shoot a ton of them with deployers, but I wanted to find a less intensive method.

Snowmen can't hurt ghasts, only blazes, though that would have been cool.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Ghasts are fairly big, so a small room and either melee turtles or cacti in the walls might do it.
You could also try drowning or quicksand.

(Not sure if ghasts tears count as a rare drop, so your shard based grinder might only yield gunpowder)

I wanted to see if I could make it a bit more efficient, because a small room wouldn't spawn as many ghasts, and not as many tears. I don't think I'll get as many tears as if ghasts were the same size as, say, zombies, but I still want to get enough (well, I'm going to have an excess of them anyways, so it shouldn't matter tons).
Tears do not count as a rare drop, but instead of being spawned in a space of 4x4x3, it's actually 4x4x4. I'm going to go edit that on the OP.[DOUBLEPOST=1360439543][/DOUBLEPOST]
Two things:

Great way to get your account stolen.

Intents and purposes.

These "nubs" were just a couple of IRL friends that were just playing for me, they're not going to do anything.

And...thanks, if you're done, you may now go. Thank you for enlightening me.
On the other hand, if you have something productive to add to this thread (such as how to automate the killing of ghasts), then you may stay and give us your suggestions.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't matter if they're "IRL" friends or not. Happens all the time.

I'll come and go as I please until otherwise notified by someone who actually matters.

And I'm looking into your issue in Creative right now. I was curious about it as well.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I made a design that works using those portalgun turrets. they are fairly cheap, and if you place them one block further out than the glass wall they seem to not get hit enough to get destroyed. the ghast will fire back once in a while tho.. but generally they arent in a position to hit anything trough a 1x2 hole. I made the spawn area into a 9x9 with the spawner in the middle. there is only room for 3 ghasts at a time at that size, so going maybe 11x11 or even 13x13 might increase the effectiveness.
and yeah. cheating in a ghast spawner was an easy 2 step process.. i cheated in a ghast egg and a tier 5 shard and just killed the spawned ghast to get the shard.

something else i found out. soul shards are not used up if you place them in the soul cage while in creative.

I'm now enjoying sweet ghast screams non stop from this thing.. man it's noisy. them guns are firing non stop and the ghast are crying for mommy like nobodys business.
the tears do drop as well.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the noises....I guess I can always put this thing 200 blocks away from my base and place a chunk loader.
If you are able to, do you think you could put up a picture? I think I know what you're talking about, but since I don't use portal gun turrets much, I'm not completely sure. They can shoot through glass?

A design that uses less arrows could be a steve's cart. There's an arrow module, and I guess I could have it on a small circle of track that would get arrows. But this idea you have is much better because Turrets don't need any items, while this cart must be given coal and arrows (wither skeleton farm, anyone)?

Thank you for helping me, I really wish I could test this out though, just to make sure I'm doing it right. But I've got the dimensions all worked out and everything should be able to fit in a chunk. What is the range for these turrets, though? How many would I need, just one on each side? If I can spawn 5 ghasts at a time, would I need 5 turrets, or something like 10?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Use high energy pellet launchers. Set them back a few blocks so the ghasts can't destroy them. Just give them a redstone signal and leave it on, they'll fire a new pellet as soon as the last disappears. Pellets are one hit kills.

Your dimensions are alright, but could use a few more blocks in each direction. If you want them to spawn more than 2-3 at a time every few seconds, you're going to need an even bigger room.

Ghasts like to spawn and fly upward. In a short room, they can't go up and therefore block the spawning area for new ones. Until you kill them, no new ones will spawn.

I didn't test this but I would assume that putting the spawner at the bottom, and making the room taller to give them room to fly up would be ideal. Put some pellet launchers lining the wall at the bottom, middle, and top to catch them as they spawn and to get any stragglers that fly up.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
If you set it up correctly, you could get by with 2-3 turrets, but for efficiency you most likely would want 4 minimum and will see much greater effect with higher numbers. Screaming, squealing mayhem. :p

Edit: Always forget the pellet launchers...

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't matter if they're "IRL" friends or not. Happens all the time.

I'll come and go as I please until otherwise notified by someone who actually matters.

And I'm looking into your issue in Creative right now. I was curious about it as well.

I was there, with them. They didn't see my password but that doesn't matter, I can see the way you read it and it looks like I was giving my password out.

But I have a question for you: Why would you come onto a genuine thread that hasn't tried to cause any flaming (no gregtech, no EE3), and try to start something? I am just bouncing ideas back and fourth with a couple of members, and we're all learning and we're all being helpful. Why did you take it upon yourself to go ahead and correct me, with something that does not matter? This thread is a very innocent thread, your attempts to start some kind of war or something...is just weird. And now you're continuing? "Someone who actually matters"? I mean, you're entitled to your opinions, but you have tried to turn a simple thread into a flame war. Now, as I please, I will respond to your comments. Not the rude, snarky ones, but the ones that actually have to do with the thread.

For my issue in creative, you could be talking about me not loading a world, or getting the soul shard in.
If you look up a soul shard in NEI, you will see a few. You can choose the tier 5 spawner. Put it into your hotbar and spawn a ghast (or any mob that you want the soul shard to be filled with) egg. Spawn and kill that ghast, and you have a tier 5 shard that you can experiment and do what you like.
My inability to create or load a world is probably just my computer. It tends to like to run at 8-12 FPS, with fluctuations on the negative side, and with all animations on fast or just off, and on a tiny rendering distance, and on the newest version of Optifine. And since running a "mini-server" (SSP) is more intensive than before the update, I'll probably just have to get a new computer, one suitable for this decade and for gaming.[DOUBLEPOST=1360441278][/DOUBLEPOST]
Use high energy pellet launchers. Set them back a few blocks so the ghasts can't destroy them. Just give them a redstone signal and leave it on, they'll fire a new pellet as soon as the last disappears. Pellets are one hit kills.

Your dimensions are alright, but could use a few more blocks in each direction. If you want them to spawn more than 2-3 at a time every few seconds, you're going to need an even bigger room.

Ghasts like to spawn and fly upward. In a short room, they can't go up and therefore block the spawning area for new ones. Until you kill them, no new ones will spawn.

I didn't test this but I would assume that putting the spawner at the bottom, and making the room taller to give them room to fly up would be ideal. Put some pellet launchers lining the wall at the bottom, middle, and top to catch them as they spawn and to get any stragglers that fly up.

Oh, so instead of making it a 9 height, I could make it more like a drop spawner, but with the spawner two blocks from the bottom and letting the ghasts float up to the turrets lining up.
What mod is the high energy pellet launcher from? I was trying to make this self-sufficient, will these pellet launchers do this, and do they hone in to enemies?

If you set it up correctly, you could get by with 2-3 turrets, but for efficiency you most likely would want 4 minimum and will see much greater effect with higher numbers. Screaming, squealing mayhem. :p

Oh god... who wants to use my new mod idea? "Soundproof blocks"

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the noises....I guess I can always put this thing 200 blocks away from my base and place a chunk loader.
If you are able to, do you think you could put up a picture? I think I know what you're talking about, but since I don't use portal gun turrets much, I'm not completely sure. They can shoot through glass?

A design that uses less arrows could be a steve's cart. There's an arrow module, and I guess I could have it on a small circle of track that would get arrows. But this idea you have is much better because Turrets don't need any items, while this cart must be given coal and arrows (wither skeleton farm, anyone)?

Thank you for helping me, I really wish I could test this out though, just to make sure I'm doing it right. But I've got the dimensions all worked out and everything should be able to fit in a chunk. What is the range for these turrets, though? How many would I need, just one on each side? If I can spawn 5 ghasts at a time, would I need 5 turrets, or something like 10?

I'l make a quick vid and upload it to youtube. hang on a sec. no voice tho.. the wife is home and watching telly... the setup is real dirty like. just slapped up to see if it would work at all.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking into your issue in Creative, as in "I'm figuring out a ghast grinder with Creative mode." You put much too much effort into rebuking my smart ass comments. You'll waste a lot more if you continue to let stuff like that get to you on the internet.. just let it roll off your shoulder.

But as for your issues with Creative..

Are you using 64 bit java on a 64 bit machine?
Are you using Advanced OpenGL on fast?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced OpenGL is on fast, and I'm pretty sure I'm on a 32 bit, with 32 bit java. I use an Inspiron 1545, telling you because I'm not completely sure if it runs 32 or 64. All I know is that 64 is better for a far rendering distance, and I tend to never use that, not even in vanilla.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I found a video for vanilla that covers this. Not sure if it can handle the rates of a tier 5 spawner but here you go :
Of course you can add as many mods as you want to it xD

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I will try it out and see if I can create a world with it. When I get the chance to make a new computer, I won't really make it all that amazingly powerful as I do not play other PC games besides this one.

It doesn't work, it's still generating terrain. I made sure to put it on superflat with no structures generated, but this seems to have no effect.