Ghast Grinder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Anything in the error log?

I remember getting stuck on Generating Terrain when I used the latest version of Optifine. Kick it back to the version that's compatible with Fore #499. The latest Optifine isn't compatible with the version of Forge used in Mindcrack.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I found a video for vanilla that covers this. Not sure if it can handle the rates of a tier 5 spawner but here you go :
Of course you can add as many mods as you want to it xD

That works, but it's really slow. There's also the problem with ghasts spawning outside it, and that design can't really be expanded, though it could be replicated next to itself.[DOUBLEPOST=1360443495][/DOUBLEPOST]
Anything in the error log?

I remember getting stuck on Generating Terrain when I used the latest version of Optifine. Kick it back to the version that's compatible with Fore #499. The latest Optifine isn't compatible with the version of Forge used in Mindcrack.

There is no error log, it's just sitting at the "Generating Terrain" screen. What's the last version called? Isn't it like A-7 or something similar? Before the update, I couldn't get a world to work either.

What surprises me, though, is the lack of FTB creative servers. It's quite odd, because there are a bunch of cool things you can build with the new blocks and a bunch of things you can automate that are otherwise too complex or pointless in survival.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I think I just need to find a nice creative server, just for tests like this and stuff. Of course, since I'll always want to do new things, I'll always be on that server. I still can't get over the fact that there are no creative servers. Now, this laptop is the best computer in my house, so I don't think I'll be able to fix that myself...

Thanks for trying, but it really is time I get an actual PC.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Finally got the darn vid uploaded.
this is what i came up with. It has tremendous room for improvement, So take it for what it is. a first attempt at something new.

Quick tip. turn your sound down. even after sound reduction during editing it ended up louder than anticipated.

Reactions: jumpfight5

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Finally got the darn vid uploaded.

this is what i came up with. It has tremendous room for improvement, So take it for what it is. a first attempt at something new.

Quick tip. turn your sound down. even after sound reduction during editing it ended up louder than anticipated.

Swap the turrets for high energy pellet launchers.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Wow....I am not happy I had this idea to soul shard the loudest and most annoying mob in existence, though it seems like something really troll-y to do to a fellow server member or in the middle of nowhere, I can see some random guy exploring and ghasts just circling around him. >:D

Anyone know modding code? Make the "SoundProof Blocks" mod today!
Three wool compressed=soundproof cover
Place this on any wall and not listen to the magic!

Thanks for this, I'll have to get it set up in my world. I'll combine the ideas, with the ghast spawner being closer to the ground so they can float up, and I'll probably just use water to send them to a single collection point.[DOUBLEPOST=1360449236][/DOUBLEPOST]
Swap the turrets for high energy pellet launchers.

What is a high energy pellet launcher?

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
High Energy Pellet launchers come from the portal mod as well. They fire the pellets that you have to either shut off or deflect in Portal. They're one hit kill both in the original and in Minecraft. If you keep them powered, they fire a pellet in the direction they're facing and will fire another as soon as the last one has disappeared or hit something. Much quicker than turrets and equally as cheap.

I don't think they're intended to be used in Survival mode, but rather in Creative adventure maps.. so they're cheap and highly effective.

Reactions: MagusUnion

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
High Energy Pellet launchers come from the portal mod as well. They fire the pellets that you have to either shut off or deflect in Portal. They're one hit kill both in the original and in Minecraft. If you keep them powered, they fire a pellet in the direction they're facing and will fire another as soon as the last one has disappeared or hit something. Much quicker than turrets and equally as cheap.

I don't think they're intended to be used in Survival mode, but rather in Creative adventure maps.. so they're cheap and highly effective.

Hadn't heard about the pellet launchers until today. that is what i get for not playing portal i guess.
I could refine the design and maybe make a how to video for it if there is any interest in that kind of thing. I'm having some sound issues atm tho. my computer is just too darn noisy for pleasant listening.

I have also thought of an idea of how to make the shard grinding a tad easier as well. gonna try it out and see if it actually works. Will post a vid on youtube if my idea pans out.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
You could also try filling up the entire room with water, I don't know if Ghast can drown though and if that'll prevent spawning from a shard spawner (it might, I mean it also ignores light).

You could also try a floor/ceiling/walls of quicksand. I don't know if Ghast will fly out, but they might get stuck and not be able to get out if they fly into it.

Or you could have a ceiling that lowers every X seconds and suffocates all Ghast in the room (assuming it's only 5 blocks high). You might need to lower the ceiling 2 blocks, I've seen a video in the past where they had Ghast in minecarts and they found that the suffocation area (the Ghast's nose if you will) is not at the top of it's head but 1-2 blocks inside (I'm guessing it's just the center point of it's head you have to stick in a solid block).

You could try stuffing them into minecarts and send them through a 1x1 tunnel to suffocate them. Railcraft should have the tools to do this, though it'll be a lot more complicated than any of the other ones I came up with so far.

Or you could make a Skeleton spawner and use the arrows from that to infinitely fire a wall of Dispensers. This might cause lag though and Ghast might spawn faster than the arrows can kill them (and that's assuming a Skeleton spawner can produce enough arrows, you might need multiple though).

I didn't read the entire topic, so I'm sorry if I'm saying anything mentioned before or if I missed something.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019

What is their cost? As in are they like the lasers from the turrets now (free)? Or are they more like shooting arrows (cost)?
Hadn't heard about the pellet launchers until today. that is what i get for not playing portal i guess.
I could refine the design and maybe make a how to video for it if there is any interest in that kind of thing. I'm having some sound issues atm tho. my computer is just too darn noisy for pleasant listening.

I have also thought of an idea of how to make the shard grinding a tad easier as well. gonna try it out and see if it actually works. Will post a vid on youtube if my idea pans out.
Ghasts are common, and if you quarry out large portions of the nether and give them blocks to spawn on, they will. After watching that vanilla video, I think they need a 5x5x5 space to spawn. This spawner is going to turn out quite big.
You could also try filling up the entire room with water, I don't know if Ghast can drown though and if that'll prevent spawning from a shard spawner (it might, I mean it also ignores light).

You could also try a floor/ceiling/walls of quicksand. I don't know if Ghast will fly out, but they might get stuck and not be able to get out if they fly into it.

Or you could have a ceiling that lowers every X seconds and suffocates all Ghast in the room (assuming it's only 5 blocks high). You might need to lower the ceiling 2 blocks, I've seen a video in the past where they had Ghast in minecarts and they found that the suffocation area (the Ghast's nose if you will) is not at the top of it's head but 1-2 blocks inside (I'm guessing it's just the center point of it's head you have to stick in a solid block).

You could try stuffing them into minecarts and send them through a 1x1 tunnel to suffocate them. Railcraft should have the tools to do this, though it'll be a lot more complicated than any of the other ones I came up with so far.

Or you could make a Skeleton spawner and use the arrows from that to infinitely fire a wall of Dispensers. This might cause lag though and Ghast might spawn faster than the arrows can kill them (and that's assuming a Skeleton spawner can produce enough arrows, you might need multiple though).

I didn't read the entire topic, so I'm sorry if I'm saying anything mentioned before or if I missed something.

The minecart stuffing thing seems really fun, though picking up the items would be hard. I'm worried about lag, so the arrow design is out. The ceiling would probably use frames, and altogether, I think the turrets would be the best choice. With the pellets, it will work even faster than in the video. It's a design that can be easily done in a matter of minutes, cheap, and giving me enough ghast tears to cry me a river! Oh please don't judge me ._.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019

Two easiest ways to get soul shards filled- kill at least one mob of the desired type to start the shard, then right click on a mob spawner to get 200 kills for that mob. You need 5 spawners and 24 kills to max one out; or, get the highest level soul stealer you can get on a vile sword, then uncraft it into a diamond sword with unbreaking, sharpness, etc. Grind away, each kill with soul stealer is 1 for the kill and 1 more per level of soul stealer.

High Energy Pellets are essentially free for what they do.

All of those are way too slow, but they are good ideas.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Soul stealer 4 is 5 kills, so it's like killing a little over 200 of said mob, if it does not have a spawner (in the case of a ghast). Unfortunately, because Potions are one of the few aspects in FTB that are still "vanillized", I can't see tears having too much of a use, but there is the Galagorian Drill. I can't really see much more use for these, though I guess it could be nice for trading. The gunpowder's good for ITNT, but I've got a creeper spawner for that. XP's nearly pointless here as well, it will be hard to condense the ghasts into a small place, and blazes give me much more xp.

I mean...it's scary (and mildly annoying), and having one of these floating over your base is a nice alternative to being sane.

Reactions: jnads and Tesmetron

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
You could use a tesla coil to do the killing. Embed one in the ceiling above the spawner, supply power and a redstone signal, and it should be maintenance free. Direwolf did a similar build a while back.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
ghast tears contain the ghostly aspect. so they are really good for thaumcraft actually. it's one of the more anoying aspects to get renewably. but a ghast spawner is a great way to do it i think...

One thing tho.. now that we have shown that a ghast grinder is not only possible, but not all that hard to do, I don't doubt we will see mods start using ghast tears a lot more... They do read these forums you know. we have opened the box of pandora now. :eek:

Reactions: jumpfight5

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I would try it with a tesla coil too. I don't know how far away ghasts would spawn, but you could just set up a few towers around the spawner and equip every tower with one or two.

or how about using the modular forcefield? ghast spawns inside the shield bubble, and if it runs agains the forcefield, it gets killed. there should be a upgrade to kill on touch...

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
One would be more than enough, ghasts have little to no hp and tesla coils hit everything in range at once.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Tesla coils would be fast, but man. they are real energy gluts. In the mindcrack pack at least there is no reason to do the tesla coil thing since portalgun mod gives the same option without the energy consumption.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah....In my world, I may have a few max boilers set up, but......well...I'm still working on that Generator :p
I think I'll stick with the portals, and begin using Thaumcraft (now that I have a ton of aspects that I think are useless, but aren't).

Ghast tears can also be used for Galagorian Drills in Steve's Carts...