Getting started with rotarycraft

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Loke2

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently powering my extractor with 8 hydrokinetics. They feed to a 32 Belt CVT and then to an 8 belt CVT to run it all full power, all stages.

This is a great accomplishment (that also looks and sound great in-game, by the way). I ran a similar setup for a while. But I have to say, that this is not "full power, all stages" as you say. This is minimum power. During my experimenting with the extractor, I have yet to meet any upper limits as to how much speed the extractor can use. And more speed makes a world of difference. My current "working" setup is two pulse jet engines combined, and an automatic two-second switch gearing on a CVT. By a rough estimate, this is about a 100 times faster than the hydrokinetic setup.

It's fun experimenting with rotary craft.

My next upgrade plan is to start experimenting with ReactorCraft, but I have to admit that I am a little intimidated by the complexity of that.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It's fun experimenting with rotary craft.

My next upgrade plan is to start experimenting with ReactorCraft, but I have to admit that I am a little intimidated by the complexity of that.
I juuuust started down the Reactor road last night. I have piles and piles of fluorite kicking around. I "cheated" and added Twilight Forest to my pack since it wasn't already there, and you can get Pitchblende in TF (I don't feel like going to the End or wandering till I find a Mushroom Island in my BoP world)

Pitchblende was more prevalent than I expected. Looks a bit like coal and seems to have the same rarity (level 10 or so). Nice, large veins too. Came back with several stacks.

I followed Danilus' (slightly old) youtube video for the most part, but where he cooked his pitchblende, I'm extracting mine. I hope its compatible that way.

I'm a bit nervous about setting up a pulse jet furnace, which is the next step I believe (I need...blast glass or some such)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Addendum: I have yet to find an opinion on an efficient reactor set up. I think it would help if I knew if the produced-neutrons were influencing other cores...or if they ever reflected off any surfaces...or what.

Maybe I should...read the handbook?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Addendum: I have yet to find an opinion on an efficient reactor set up. I think it would help if I knew if the produced-neutrons were influencing other cores...or if they ever reflected off any surfaces...or what.

Maybe I should...read the handbook?
Read the book, and probably also a few wikipedia/howstuffworks/hyperphysics articles.

Also, pitchblende spawns in rivers, oceans, and Rainbow Forests as of v17.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Read the book, and probably also a few wikipedia/howstuffworks/hyperphysics articles.

Also, pitchblende spawns in rivers, oceans, and Rainbow Forests as of v17.
Good to know regarding biomes, thanks kindly. Wiki advice is somewhat less useful as I have no idea how far you took your implementation.

I'll likely just fudge it in creative a few times till I see a pattern and roll with it.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
This mod has cool stuff but it really really lags my PC, and it is WAY too hard to think on. :confused:

Its simple, like really simple. You even have a handbook..

----------------------------

Funny how when i saw rotarycraft on release i was like, this looks cool. But a bit gimmicky.

So i didn't download it.
Fastforward a few weeks/months with weekly looking at the thread. I decided to give it a go. Thinking it would be a standard mod with simple electricity and so on.
So i install, fix ID conflicts, Start world in creative. Place shaft... What are these boxes? After trying so long to understand it and being to stubborn to simply read a book. I ragequit the mod.
Fastforward again.
I see a spotlight of Bevo, it seems it has a handbook. Hmm, forgot.
*redownload mod* Hmm, this looks interesting.

Now its one of my fav mods.

Reactions: PierceSG and Bevo

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I do not wish to make RotaryCraft sound complicated. Its not actually, as long as you are willing to actually perform the kind of basic math you should have mastered by the age of 13.
It is extremely helpful to have a spreadsheet application open that you can alt-tab to, and to have mastered some basic formula proficiency so you can quickly plug in some numbers to play with scenarios.

I do NOT understand why Reika thought it would be so hilarious to crater your base if you overcharge an industrial coil. I would have thought that either the industrial coil would be a torque limited device - i.e. inserting more power would require more input torque, leading to a logical limit beyond which it would stop charging, or the device's engineering would implicitly include a clutch that would gracefully fail once the stored powere exceeded an engineering tolerance, again preventing catastrophic failure.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I do not wish to make RotaryCraft sound complicated. Its not actually, as long as you are willing to actually perform the kind of basic math you should have mastered by the age of 13.
It is extremely helpful to have a spreadsheet application open that you can alt-tab to, and to have mastered some basic formula proficiency so you can quickly plug in some numbers to play with scenarios.

I do NOT understand why Reika thought it would be so hilarious to crater your base if you overcharge an industrial coil. I would have thought that either the industrial coil would be a torque limited device - i.e. inserting more power would require more input torque, leading to a logical limit beyond which it would stop charging, or the device's engineering would implicitly include a clutch that would gracefully fail once the stored powere exceeded an engineering tolerance, again preventing catastrophic failure.
The RC machines are crude assemblies, and only echoes of their real-world counterparts. I rather doubt a safety release would be in the plans.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft is simple until you go in-depth with it xD or maybe im just dumb :<
Like the most efficient way to run an extractor and such

@Coil: well you can make that :p add comparator and make it turn off a clutch when the coil is getting full

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

The coil-cratering is a bit excessive. Its not really enough that there's a solution (comparator, which I use) to the problem; the penalty is just unnecessarily high. One learns the same lessons even by simply having the coil itself destroyed and nothing else. I could envision Reika switching that detonation to a more appropriate machine at some point as balance and design sort themselves out.

Sucks even more if you were charging up coils during a version change btw. Logging onto a crater is no fun. Thank goodness for world saves :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The coil-cratering is a bit excessive. Its not really enough that there's a solution (comparator, which I use) to the problem; the penalty is just unnecessarily high. One learns the same lessons even by simply having the coil itself destroyed and nothing else. I could envision Reika switching that detonation to a more appropriate machine at some point as balance and design sort themselves out.

Sucks even more if you were charging up coils during a version change btw. Logging onto a crater is no fun. Thank goodness for world saves :)
This is another realism thing; that energy has to go somewhere.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

What sucked was not that the coil would crater if it was actively charging over the version change, but that the new "overcharged" coils wern't grandfathered in and at least allowed to discharge.

anti player features, even in the name of realisim, are not cool.

--

wait - what - how does a comparator work? I havn't seen coils emitting a redstone signal.