Getting Ic2 power?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
I am working on getting large numbers of UU-matter and need more power. Solars are fine and good when it is day but a lot of the time I play through the night too so what else would be good for Ic2 power? (I know that at some point I'll need to look into a reactor, but I'd like to put that off for a bit sill.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Compact Windmills are EXTREMELY cheap and somewhat OP compared to their constant high output. Doesnt seem to matter about height or obstruction with the compact versions.

Other than that, well could always just make a huge pile of Geothermals. Or RC turbines.

But tbh, you should not put off getting into reactors. I put it off for way too long because I thought it was complicated and risky. You can easily set up small and safe setups for high gain. And for a bit of risk(well not really) you can get a huge output through stuff like MOX reactors. Or you can use your reactor waste to create endless safe power in form of RTG pellets for the Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator.

Last edited:

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Compact Windmills are EXTREMELY cheap and somewhat OP compared to their constant high output. Doesnt seem to matter about height or obstruction with the compact versions.

Other than that, well could always just make a huge pile of Geothermals. Or RC turbines.

But tbh, you should not put off getting into reactors. I put it off for way too long because I thought it was complicated and risky. You can easily set up small and safe setups for high gain. And for a bit of risk(well not really) you can get a huge output through stuff like MOX reactors. Or you can use your reactor waste to create endless safe power in form of RTG pellets for the Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator.
Ok. I'll look into that soon then, and the windmills too.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Pfffff....
RaSfARC.png

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
My setup is a very old one (march 2012), from the times that compact windmills didnt exist at all.
It still works nowadays, but since we're getting kinetic windmills (which output kU [Kinetic Energy] instead)... i may have to rework it later.

Compact windmills: the idea is good, but the fact that its output is constant, ignores IC² wind mechanics completely AND have a high output-per-windmill (2 EU/t while IC² ones often range between 0.5 and 1.5) makes it OP as fuck.

Power: If you have GregTech you can use fusion reactors and start spamming UUM as you wish. {Use mixed AE/GT automation for the fuel production}. Also i can't help much without knowing the major mods you have on your modpack.

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
My setup is a very old one (march 2012), from the times that compact windmills didnt exist at all.
It still works nowadays, but since we're getting kinetic windmills (which output kU [Kinetic Energy] instead)... i may have to rework it later.

Compact windmills: the idea is good, but the fact that its output is constant, ignores IC² wind mechanics completely AND have a high output-per-windmill (2 EU/t while IC² ones often range between 0.5 and 1.5) makes it OP as fuck.

Power: If you have GregTech you can use fusion reactors and start spamming UUM as you wish. {Use mixed AE/GT automation for the fuel production}. Also i can't help much without knowing the major mods you have on your modpack.
I don't do GT so no fusion reactor for me. I'm playing on the direwolf20 1.6.4 pack with just a few mods changed. (Nothing in the changes should do anything to Ic2 as far as I know.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah it could definitely use some polishing/balancing. I had planned to use them as a cosmetic part of my build and was fine with being penalised as heck for obstructing blocks. But after seeing that there is absolutely no penalty and the 2EU/t I kinda put that plan off. Really OP compared to all the other IC2 energy solutions.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
360 EU/t was the most powerful 6 chamber nuclear reactor i ever built. Single high voltage solar panel makes 512... so it's not difficult to guess why i never made reactor again. You just need enough solar panels and power storage to go through the night. MFSU's fill up during the day.

You can even use RF based power generators if you have anything to convert it, like universal cables or power converters.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
360 EU/t was the most powerful 6 chamber nuclear reactor i ever built. Single high voltage solar panel makes 512... so it's not difficult to guess why i never made reactor again. You just need enough solar panels and power storage to go through the night. MFSU's fill up during the day.

You can even use RF based power generators if you have anything to convert it, like universal cables or power converters.
Well tbh you should blame Compact Solars for that imbalance. If it wasnt for that you would have to actually have solar farms of 512 solar panels to get that amount of power from the sun.

Also with the new nuclear reactors using MOX fuel you can get 1300EU/t continuously per reactor rather easily. Not to mention you get a steady stream of waste to create RTG pellets for free and safe power in radioisotope thermoelectric generators.

I quite like how IC2 still tries to make it hard(well not easy at least) to make huge amounts of power. It takes some effort.

Reactions: Loxinnightwalker

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Also with the new nuclear reactors using MOX fuel you can get 1300EU/t continuously per reactor rather easily. Not to mention you get a steady stream of waste to create RTG pellets for free and safe power in radioisotope thermoelectric generators.
You may say easily, i never found a way actually. You would have to monitor the temperatures and make certain sequenced for the reactor to
1) Shutdown power
2) remove certain cooling elements from reactor, and replace them with new same kind of elements
- Requires some very special mods and timing that are capable of that kind of precision, and you can forget itemducts. Maybe computercraft program? It has to make sure that fuel rods aren't being replaced at the same time, and to not go in the fuel slots.
3) Restart power
4) Have a separate cold reactor to put parts in for cooling, and manage them same way.
5) Manage replacing of fuel at the midst of all this.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You may say easily, i never found a way actually. You would have to monitor the temperatures and make certain sequenced for the reactor to
1) Shutdown power
2) remove certain cooling elements from reactor, and replace them with new same kind of elements
- Requires some very special mods and timing that are capable of that kind of precision, and you can forget itemducts. Maybe computercraft program? It has to make sure that fuel rods aren't being replaced at the same time, and to not go in the fuel slots.
3) Restart power
4) Have a separate cold reactor to put parts in for cooling, and manage them same way.
5) Manage replacing of fuel at the midst of all this.
Not sure how efficient it is(plenty of ways to get uranium I guess), but:

Also:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=143343#post143343

Last edited:
Reactions: ljfa