GeoStrata Pendants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I love GeoStrata. If I plan to do any sort of aesthetic builds, it's a must.

Granite: Great blast resistance. Also makes great countertops. :p

Basalt: Non-annoying Obsidian. Beautiful.

Peridotite: Adds a touch of class to everything. :)

Opal: OMG. Perfect for anything magical (particularly the variation that you make by combining two bricks and one smooth--or was it the other way around?--since they have mystic runes etched into them).

Quartz: My only problem with this one is the disappointment when I first realized it wasn't Nether Quartz. :p

Limestone: Ehh...I like the cobble a lot more than the smooth.

Shale: Soft enough that it's hand-punchable in case of emergency. Also great for polished floor patterns--think Shale, Peridotite, and Basalt.

Sandstone: Looks a bit better than Granite, admittedly, so I use it in places where I need to break up a large amount of Granite and/or where I just don't want to deal with the slow break speed of Granite.

Schist, Granulite, Pumice: Haven't experimented much with these.

I'm also a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of the different brick types you can craft the smoothstone versions of the GeoStrata stone into, I only wish there was a way to turn them back into the smoothstone versions if you make too much--maybe by throwing them back into a furnace? Any chance of that eventually becoming a feature, @Reika ?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm also a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of the different brick types you can craft the smoothstone versions of the GeoStrata stone into, I only wish there was a way to turn them back into the smoothstone versions if you make too much--maybe by throwing them back into a furnace? Any chance of that eventually becoming a feature, @Reika ?
I can add that, yes. I like it too.

By the way, I want to express my rather strong irritation at @Azzanine at apparently attempting to dissuade others from liking GeoStrata rock. Also, I was going to link to a couple other threads - like the "GeoStrata baffling me" thread - to provide similar examples of people doing this...and it turns out it was you again.
If you do not like GeoStrata, fine, do not use it. But I do not know what you expect to accomplish by apparently trying to convince everyone else that the mod is, as you put it, a "crap mod", other than of course looking like you have some sort of grudge and doing no favors for your credibility.
This was further enhanced by the fact you implied that some fraction of people liking GeoStrata only do so because they think it is Chisel.

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I'm going to keep using an awesome mod. Thank you @Reika for giving us a mod that added more depth to the world of minecraft. Do I like all the types of stone? No. But as a whole? This mod gives me more options to build with. Which I'm ALL for!

Reactions: Padfoote

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm mostly like dw20 in doing functional first and pretty second, nevertheless, to proove my point:

Blood altar, still somewhat WIP
P3TEant.jpg

Witchery altar area
eUItEVu.jpg

Witchery demon summon area
jcHvszv.jpg

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I can add that, yes. I like it too.

By the way, I want to express my rather strong irritation at @Azzanine at apparently attempting to dissuade others from liking GeoStrata rock. Also, I was going to link to a couple other threads - like the "GeoStrata baffling me" thread - to provide similar examples of people doing this...and it turns out it was you again.
If you do not like GeoStrata, fine, do not use it. But I do not know what you expect to accomplish by apparently trying to convince everyone else that the mod is, as you put it, a "crap mod", other than of course looking like you have some sort of grudge and doing no favors for your credibility.
This was further enhanced by the fact you implied that some fraction of people liking GeoStrata only do so because they think it is Chisel.

That was in the last thread, I didn't make the same mistake here. I will not make the presumptuous claim that everyone hates it as I can't know that for sure. I think it's more 50/50 now, It's a love it or hate it kind of mod, whenever I got annoyed with my inventory being stuffed and vented my hate for Geostrata in chat, I always got one person concurring with me vehemently and another saying "But I like X stone" it usually basalt and opal and maybe peridot.
I only mentioned chisel becasue your limestone actually can be converted in to all types limestone (mariculture limestone too), Chisel must have ore dictionary support.

Also I am not sure whether I should be flattered that you think I am capable enough to persuade people to drop your mod, I mean enough to irritate you and cause you to post. I will clarify though that it's not my goal to have your mod removed, as I said in that last thread I only said I wouldn't mind if it was dropped I did not state any demands nor did I even suggest. It was purely criticism based on my own opinion, I'm not asserting anything.

I actually don't use Geostrata anymore, but I had to stray away from FTB Monster and play exclusively SSP (which is a shame as it's a decent pack) as most servers don't disable/ enable mods as it causes players to not be able to join easily that or the admins love the buff crystals.
So if I want to play SMP Monster you kind of have to put up with all the what was it? 16-20? Varieties of cobble eating up inventory space or play SSP. It can even choke up a sizable ME system, even one that's formatted and optimized. Even voiding the stone is a task, both your filtering options has you either whitelisting all the ore on the game or blacklisting all the Geostrata stone.

The don't like it remove/ don't use is sound advice but it becomes more easy said then done when you want to play FTB SMP packs, also goes double for mods that have a lot of world gen, remember Xycraft quartz, you couldn't very well avoid them unless you are the server admin that can remove/ disable.
Also I could start my own server but the capital needed to establish a decent self sustaining server is more time money and effort then I can give. So that's not an option either, well at least not a feasible one for me.

@belgabor That first pic looks a little all over the shop, not horrible but not great but the rest are rather nice. Opal is one of the few stones worth mining in Geostrata along with maybe basalt.

/derail

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
I think geostrata has become a must have for me between pendants and rocks. Mariculture auto dictionary work to convert vanilla cobble to geostrata cobble?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That was in the last thread, I didn't make the same mistake here. I will not make the presumptuous claim that everyone hates it as I can't know that for sure. I think it's more 50/50 now, It's a love it or hate it kind of mod, whenever I got annoyed with my inventory being stuffed and vented my hate for Geostrata in chat, I always got one person concurring with me vehemently and another saying "But I like X stone" it usually basalt and opal and maybe peridot.
Need I quote your original posts?
Padfoote said that they felt they were in the minority for liking the GeoStrata rock. (The 4 likes it received in less than 2 hours speaks volumes, by the way).
You then responded with this:
Even the limestone?
Any bet you only like 3-5 types of Geostrata stone and you excuse the rest becasue you really like those few types of stone.
When he said this:
Yes, even limestone. I haven't found one I don't like
Your response was this:
You don't see that repeating off center cross pattern that obviously looks like a ill attempt at using the offset feature in GIMP?
What about granite? That's not only horrible looking but takes forever (comparatively) to mine.

Overall, the pattern is one of "I like X." "Are you sure? Look at this unappealing trait." "Yes, I like it." "How about this one, then?" Put bluntly, it comes across as though you are actively trying to convince them not to like the rock, and this is something that even RotaryCraft - with its incredibly vocal and aggressive detractors - does not get.

Also I am not sure whether I should be flattered that you think I am capable enough to persuade people to drop your mod
The amount of influence you have is larger than you probably realize. Once these things are said, they not only persist forever, but often sound far more extreme to some third-party reader. Case in point: A few days ago someone came to me panicking "my server is going to install RC, and I heard that it was really badly coded, so now I am going to have to find another server". This was started by one random post on a reddit thread.

or the admins love the buff crystals.
My experience has been the opposite: "OMG POTIONS OP OP OP REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE!"

So if I want to play SMP Monster you kind of have to put up with all the what was it? 16-20? Varieties of cobble eating up inventory space or play SSP. It can even choke up a sizable ME system, even one that's formatted and optimized.
17 varieties. If that clogs your ME system, time to stop using only one 1K drive and calling it "sizeable".

The don't like it remove/ don't use is sound advice but it becomes more easy said then done when you want to play FTB SMP packs, also goes double for mods that have a lot of world gen, remember Xycraft quartz, you couldn't very well avoid them unless you are the server admin that can remove/ disable.
This is not my problem nor my responsibility to try to mitigate.

@belgabor That first pic looks a little all over the shop, not horrible but not great but the rest are rather nice. Opal is one of the few stones worth mining in Geostrata along with maybe basalt.
/derail
And there you go at it again.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika I'm just inquireing as to why someone likes the stone, clarifying their opinion. I genuinely do not know why people like the blocks I want them to convince me, not the other way around. If they said "Look buddy, I like the stone, back off" or something along those lines I would not press them any further.

Also, you do know how ME drives work right? 1 piece of schist takes up the same space as a stack of schist when it comes to type space, each drive lets you store 63 different types of item regardless of size, now add a quarry to the mix and you have almost a quarter of a drive dedicated to essentially useless cobble regardless of drive size, of course it's worse with lower level drives but larger ones still get a chunk taken from them.
If you aren't a compulsive hoarder you then have to set up around 2 export busses to void/ compress the stone you don't want. It's not a lot more infrastructure but I used it as an example of how even the best inventory/ storage mod feels the presence of your stone.

Also regarding my "influence" I can reassure you that my "credibility" is nearly non existent, so I think you can stop worrying about nay sayers. If people genuinely like Geostrata there is nothing I could say to dissuade them (not that it is my goal nor am I in fact actively doing it). In fact if they really like it my opinion might inflame them and they are likely to tell me off, let the players defend your mod if it indeed needs defending.
so... you can simmer down now, you are not the only modder who has had criticism both baseless and legitimate thrown at them. If you are confident that your mod is good then you don't really need to defend it from detractors. I mean I'd never rail against ReactorCraft and RotaryCraft as they are unquestionably good mods, doing so would be ignorant and would make one unpopular.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@Azzanine You do realize that using a Storage Bus is far better than having drives for stone, right? If you want to keep the stone, grab a few DSUs or other storage devices and slap a storage bus on it and your storage problem is instantly solved.

The problem isn't that there are too many stone types in Geostrata, it's that people don't setup the same filtering system for it as they do with regular stone and cobble, and somehow expect ME Storage Drives to hold every last piece of stone when that is probably the most material inefficient way to do so.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
@Azzanine You do realize that using a Storage Bus is far better than having drives for stone, right? If you want to keep the stone, grab a few DSUs or other storage devices and slap a storage bus on it and your storage problem is instantly solved.

The problem isn't that there are too many stone types in Geostrata, it's that people don't setup the same filtering system for it as they do with regular stone and cobble, and somehow expect ME Storage Drives to hold every last piece of stone when that is probably the most material inefficient way to do so.

That is true, but my point is that the mod requires you do do that extra tweaking to your system for no real payoff. Either way, my point wasn't that Geostrata breaks the ME system, it doesn't if you are keen a keen optimizer and format a large drive properly. My point was that the mods presence is felt even by AE which is considered the best storage mod at the moment, even better when you combine it with others (as you mentioned the DSU).
TBH my man gripe is with manual mining at the start of the game, the ugly textures of a few of the blocks is actually a secondary concern that amplifies my issue of lost inventory space. If the blocks looked exceptionally good I'd feel better about them clogging my backpack. When I say exceptional I mean a level that no pixel artist can ever reach, the multiple types of cobble clogging my backpack annoys me that much.
Hence why I mentioned that pendant idea (perhaps a tad jerkily), it was a half serious suggestion. One I don't expect to be implemented but would make my annoyance essentially gone if it was to be implemented (or something like it). It would be cooler if you could choose the stone it converts to for those that like a specific kind of Geostrata stone but can't find enough of it.
Because I will admit not all of the stone is bad there's like 4 types that are nice and a few that are OK. The basalt looks like someone answered that goth in that old Footlocker ad ("got any blacker?.."), opal is obviously good for magical/ mystical builds and compliments a lot of the other blocks nicely. Also some of the stone looks ugly in their natural and cobble form but turn out decent when crafted.

Regarding the DSU's; You would need 17 of them if you intend on keeping all of the types of stone. This is depending on the servers recipe settings would range in between a mild hassle to "OMG why do I have to do this!". As the vanilla recipe only uses a 4 enderperals for 4 DSU's IIRC, but there's a recipe that uses a filled tesseract frame for only one. This only happens if someone activates the TE recipes for MFR and luckily it's not default but a few servers do.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@Azzanine But again, the Geostrata cobble and stone is no different than dealing with standard stone and cobble. AE is "impacted" by it because people either cannot setup the system to properly handle it (which means not dumping it into drives) or they won't take the small bit of extra time to filter it, just like they probably already do with stone, dirt, cobble, gravel, and whatever else. Using AE "storage problems" as an excuse isn't valid due to it being because of the reasons I have previously mentioned.

As for the textures, they are, just like most things, a personal preference thing. There will be people that like them, and people that don't. You can't please everyone.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
@Azzanine But again, the Geostrata cobble and stone is no different than dealing with standard stone and cobble. AE is "impacted" by it because people either cannot setup the system to properly handle it (which means not dumping it into drives) or they won't take the small bit of extra time to filter it, just like they probably already do with stone, dirt, cobble, gravel, and whatever else. Using AE "storage problems" as an excuse isn't valid due to it being because of the reasons I have previously mentioned.

As for the textures, they are, just like most things, a personal preference thing. There will be people that like them, and people that don't. You can't please everyone.

Yeah I get that, as I stated my gripe is with manual storage pre ME system, my mining expeditions have a lot more trips to the trashcan when Geostrata is installed. There was actually a time where I attempted to store them all in JABBA barrels but after my 15th barrel I was like "this is freaking ridiculous...".

I know AE can handle the stone with some hassle if you are smart, but it is still a hassle with minimal payoff (for me at least) other then avoiding problems caused by it's self. To me Geostrata creates hassle but provides me no fun to balance out.

As for the textures, well you are right there. Some of them however appear badly textured, TBH though I only played v19 of the mod so it may have been remedied for all I know.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yeah I get that, as I stated my gripe is with manual storage pre ME system, my mining expeditions have a lot more trips to the trashcan when Geostrata is installed.

If it wasn't Geostrata adding cobble, it'd be vMC adding some useless block, or another mod adding n amount of ores, or some other thing. The way to deal with it is the same as with mining without Geostrata installed: Bring a bigger bag to hold everything.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
@belgabor : Did you hand place that rainbow stone effect? Because that is way pretty. How did you get the color blending that smooth without lots of trial and error?

I'm so trying out Geostrata stone on my Magic World 2 world I've just started. Man do I love the hard work of the FTB team, I'm playing more worlds, more packs, and more mods then ever when I had to do everything myself.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If it wasn't Geostrata adding cobble, it'd be vMC adding some useless block, or another mod adding n amount of ores, or some other thing. The way to deal with it is the same as with mining without Geostrata installed: Bring a bigger bag to hold everything.

Any suggestions on bags that are big enough?

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
@belgabor : Did you hand place that rainbow stone effect? Because that is way pretty. How did you get the color blending that smooth without lots of trial and error?

I'm so trying out Geostrata stone on my Magic World 2 world I've just started. Man do I love the hard work of the FTB team, I'm playing more worlds, more packs, and more mods then ever when I had to do everything myself.
No, Opal does that on it's own. Some kind of custom rendering, probably coordinate dependant. It makes it pretty, but it also makes it fail with things like Ender IO facades. I'm not sure at the moment if carpenter's blocks (which I've used to do the peridotite stairs on the altar) work, but I think they don't as well. So you are restricted to full blocks.

Reactions: James_Grimm

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

DartCraft has bags that can get to (IIRC) 45 slots, Ender Pouches hooked to an extraction system leads to an infinite bag in a way, the Backpacks mod adds some Large Backpacks that can store backpacks, which pretty much means infinite storage if you have the leather for it.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
DartCraft has bags that can get to (IIRC) 45 slots, Ender Pouches hooked to an extraction system leads to an infinite bag in a way, the Backpacks mod adds some Large Backpacks that can store backpacks, which pretty much means infinite storage if you have the leather for it.
Also golden bag of holding, TE strong boxes, Ars Magica 2 Rift spell, TT's Kami pouch (don't remember the name atm). Lots of possibilities, some of which are admittedly hard to get. Woven Forestry bag might also work, but I'm not sure it does without tinkering with the configs.

Status
Not open for further replies.