Futuristic levers and signs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The normal levers and signs look anachronistic in an high-tech environment. Are there any alternatives? I've seen a mod with modern buttons, but no levers or signs so far. Industrial Information Panels take a full block and don't work like signs, so they're no alternatives. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just the ability to display some static text and trigger Redstone signals like the standard signs and levers, only looking modern.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
computercraft monitors is the first that springs to mind.

^This... "Soft" switching FtW.

Levers are so Frankenstein (1931).

Of course, I think I saw a mod once that added all those nice electrical effects like Van de Graff generators, Jacob's ladders and Wimshurst machines. All you would need then is a few of those DPDT knife switches that, come to think of it would scale nicely into a Minecraft framework :D

I wonder if I just dreamed about the mod or, if it exists, if it's been updated?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
You can show text on the monitor and if its an advanced monitor you can change the color of the text and background and it will also be able to detect right clicking.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
RFTools screens are somewhat easier to use then computercraft and can also show text and other stuff (like energy level, inventory contents) and so on. They can be transparent or solid. They are flat in appearance (like a sign), they can be large or small (large = 2x2) and you can color them with a dye.

Screenshot:
dnqhEUG.png

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks, McJty, I'll check that out. Good I already have RFtools installed. LOL, modded Minecraft is a beast. Sometimes I think you can never know all the things you have in your pack.

Reactions: mattp_12

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Carpenters blocks adds a carpenters lever that has the basic lever model but can be skinned with any block.

Reactions: Ieldra

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Buttons plus a toggle latch beats levers any day!
You also got Nuclear Controls Information Panels that make excellent signs when slotted with a Text Card. Specially the Advanced panels are awesome with their customisation options.

Reactions: epidemia78

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
OK, I've done some research for myself. I'm not looking for fancy functionality in my signs, I just want to place simple static text on my walls in a way that doesn't look anachronistic. Options I've found: the MoarSigns mod lets you make signs with metal block textures. Bibliocraft has the "fancy sign", which is still made of wood but looks considerably less anachronistic than the vanilla sign. The Carpenter's Lever solves my lever problem but unfortunately there is no Carpenter's Sign, so there is still no ideal solution. The Pneumaticcraft Aphorism Tiles may also work but probably need PneumaticCraft machines to create. Other alternatives mentioned won't work for me because they use full blocks and/or need a power or redstone connection. I still have to check the RFtools panel but I suspect that, too, needs a power or redstone connection.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
OK, I've done some research for myself. I'm not looking for fancy functionality in my signs, I just want to place simple static text on my walls in a way that doesn't look anachronistic. Options I've found: the MoarSigns mod lets you make signs with metal block textures. Bibliocraft has the "fancy sign", which is still made of wood but looks considerably less anachronistic than the vanilla sign. The Carpenter's Lever solves my lever problem but unfortunately there is no Carpenter's Sign, so there is still no ideal solution. The Pneumaticcraft Aphorism Tiles may also work but probably need PneumaticCraft machines to create. Other alternatives mentioned won't work for me because they use full blocks and/or need a power or redstone connection. I still have to check the RFtools panel but I suspect that, too, needs a power or redstone connection.
Once again: "Advanced Information Panels" with "Text Card" from Nuclear Control.

Examples:
iJsI6El.png

(Sloped to look like a computer terminal)

PqZQkm6.png

(Reduced in size to fit with microblock covers)

456LDvU.png

(Yes that is sloped like a Carpenter's Block Slope)

hkhOFwq.png

IfkXU2z.png

5kjMx1C.png

(Options to set shape, colours, redstone behaviour, edit text etc.)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@rhn:
Damn it, how do you make those not take up a full block space? I have them in my modpack, but I can't do what you've done with them.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
@rhn:
Damn it, how do you make those not take up a full block space? I have them in my modpack, but I can't do what you've done with them.
Look at his last picture of the Advanced Information Panel. Below the black box is a small button with two triangles on it, press this. Now you get to another interface where you can make it flat, etc.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn:
Look at his last picture of the Advanced Information Panel. Below the black box is a small button with two triangles on it, press this. Now you get to another interface where you can make it flat, etc.
And make sure you use the Advanced version. This option is not available in the default Industrial Information Panel.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I don't *think* the RFTools panel needs power for just static text. It does need power for the more advanced functions, such as the clock or dimension monitor, which it receives wirelessly from a nearby Screen Controller block that you should be able to hide under the floor.

You still need the controller even for a screen that doesn't use power, but one controller can control multiple screens, and they're not hard to hide.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Ah yes for levers it's the Switches mod, by Myrathi I think.

Alternatively, you can use Illumar Buttons with toggle latch. Not really a lever, because it takes more space, but very futuristic :b

Edit: Ignore the Switches mod, just found out it's only for 1.6.4 :b

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Buttons plus a toggle latch beats levers any day!
You also got Nuclear Controls Information Panels that make excellent signs when slotted with a Text Card. Specially the Advanced panels are awesome with their customisation options.
Yeah, I think they are the best signs in modded minecraft. Definitely the way to go if you like IC2 and already have the infrastructure. A bit on the tedious side otherwise.