FTBUnleashed. First Impressions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SaintKenneth

Jul 29, 2019
Got the code. Made a world.

First thing I noticed is, to my fear/joy, the lack of any sort of mini-map or marker system. It has been a total immersion killer for me to spend more time looking up at the map in the upper-right, then to actually pay attention to the world around me. I will miss the usefulness of way points, but I feel that players can get creative enough to find work around.

So post your first impressions, Pros and Cons, irritants and pleasant surprises of this new pack.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
For future reference, take note of the fact that the minimap has a hotkey with which it can be hidden... ;)

SaintKenneth

Jul 29, 2019
The most important thing to me right now though, is if I can get Millenaire to work with this pack. I'm sure BoP will probably screw with the villages world gen

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Fair enough, but I actually like it better without the map, it kind of takes me back to when I first plugged in Vanilla Minecraft, and that unspeakable terror when you get lost.
As you might imagine from my username, I'm somewhat 'directionally challenged'. Getting lost is not fun, except perhaps in the Dwarf Fortress !FUN! sort of way. Fortunately, there are ways to keep from getting *too* lost, even in vanilla. Markers with torches work wonders, for example.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
As you might imagine from my username, I'm somewhat 'directionally challenged'. Getting lost is not fun, except perhaps in the Dwarf Fortress !FUN! sort of way. Fortunately, there are ways to keep from getting *too* lost, even in vanilla. Markers with torches work wonders, for example.

One of the reasons I like Map Maker is that it preserves the task of mapping but doesn't make you use the really bad map interface. My problem with Rei's and Voxel is that they just give you the regional map.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
One of the reasons I like Map Maker is that it preserves the task of mapping but doesn't make you use the really bad map interface. My problem with Rei's and Voxel is that they just give you the regional map.
I may have to play with that mod more, because it has a lot of things I really like about it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I kind of like it. Rather like having an actual map you've stuck pins in that you need to reference to determine where those pins are in relation to you.

Except that it actively breaks and puts waypoints in the wrong place. And all waypoints for all dimensions end up in the same place, frequently making nonsense points on the map.

SaintKenneth

Jul 29, 2019
I built roads with sign posts and landmarks, it was rather fun, and added to the immersion.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
The most important thing to me right now though, is if I can get Millenaire to work with this pack. I'm sure BoP will probably screw with the villages world gen

It is actually vanilla screwing the villages world-gen. If you enable village-spawn only for biomes that are very flat (like plains, normal deserts or swamps) you should be fine. But then even vanilla plains and deserts sometimes have too much hills to properly spawn a village.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I built roads with sign posts and landmarks, it was rather fun, and added to the immersion.

I've done this on a few builds adding crat systems later.

It is a fun build and something I would to do on a server but saddly no one would use becuase of all the flying and teleporting that mods do.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Are you talking about MapWriter or another mod? I liked it alot during my brief testing but a waypoint issue is not good :(

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
My main reason for even using map mods is the chunk boundaries a la Rei's minimap. The boundaries help in the sense that since you can tell where one chunk is easily you can focus your builds so all of your machines are within a certain boundary to save on chunk loaders. It also helps in that you can make it so, for example, a combustion engine or boiler's water source is never unloaded while said boiler or engine is loaded.

Edit: Also, is the version that's up the updated one that Wyld has mentioned?