FTB Update. (New launcher + FTB Omnia released.)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So sorry for posting the incorrect information, guys. I am using the latest version of MultiMC but I totally missed that it now works with v1.15.2 modpacks.

The older I get, the less I want to deal with any of this crap. LOL I have become my parents, who could never program their VCR to tape record television programs... and they'd call me over since I was the "tech wiz". That's me now, I have no clue how to do anything anymore, I'm completely baffled at how to get FTB Omnia running in MultiMC. Even worse... like my parents back in the day... I don't even care to learn anymore.

It's hell getting old. LOL Stay young. And stay classy, San Diego. :D

DevisoR

Apr 24, 2020
Guys i know how much work it takes, but i can only ask you for 1 thing.... update one the most popular mods, like ultimate realoaded or something like this to the new version 1.16, its all i ask... pls keep doing the great job, much love

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Guys i know how much work it takes, but i can only ask you for 1 thing.... update one the most popular mods, like ultimate realoaded or something like this to the new version 1.16, its all i ask... pls keep doing the great job, much love

In order to update a modpack every mod inside of it either need to be updated without having gotten an overhaul or another mod needs to exist that replaces the old version.

This, is more often than not, not the case so a direct update is not possible. Additionally, even if it was the case and a modpack got updated, your mod may be incompatible and can't be copied over.

It sucks and I agree it would be awesome to see one of the older/popular modpacks updated but there are too many things that can go wrong that prevent it from happening :(

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
More to the point there has to be the version you want actually release to the public first then and forge in that version. Minecraft is only up to 1.15 right now although 1.16 should be out this year sometime.

Rhino22

Apr 25, 2020
Hey guys, loved the old FTB app was hopping to host a MC Eternal server here but I wanted to try Omnia now, but I can't seem to get the new app to install it downloads fine it stops at the extraction it just gets started and says it can not proceed (C:\{my / computer name}\AppData\Roaming\FTBA\jre\bin\java.exe Could not create this file. Shall I try again?)
Help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

MaximumShade

Apr 25, 2020
I was wondering if there is any way to transfer modpacks over from the old launcher, I have very slow internet and didnt want to go through the process of reinstalling all of them

QuartzSTQ

Apr 15, 2020
The clue is somewhat in the name "FTB Legacy", MultiMC relies on the older mechanisms that FTB Launcher used. The FTB App uses a wholly new CreeperHost-provided backend (modpacks.ch) that works in a totally different way - closer to ATLauncher and Solder.

MultiMC is likely to implement support for the new FTB API - though note it will probably work similar to the CurseForge support (search for the pack).

CreeperHost don't make packs available as archives, they were only available previously (through the FTB Launcher) as archives as thats how they distributed them. Their API is pretty easy to consume, you could write a pretty simple client to just download the mods (I've done this myself).

Actually MultiMC supports installing CurseForge packs natively now (I believe its only in the development builds currently) - just search for a pack, and install.
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll be waiting for progress on MultiMC's side.

Cwilcox0916

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually tempted to uninstall the new FTB Launcher. There has been no updates to any packs while I love what FTB does there are plenty of pack makers that do daily or weekly updates. It was told on Slows twitch stream that Odyssey Pro was done about a month and a half ago. To be honest this would have been the perfect time to get the packs out fast and that is just not happening.The faster packs would have gotten updated on there launcher during this quarantine would have been alot better move imo.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Sad that you feel this way.

FTB have never been about quantity and fast releases just because to release something, it's more about letting the creation take the time needed - this includes all configurations checked, extensive testing, reconfiguration after test and so on.

FTB packs are not just flung together and just updating the mods to the latest version, it's having the packs as stable and as true to both the creators as being stable and great for the end-users.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
How can I edit modpack with the new app please ?
All the files can be accessed and changed just as before - but doing so makes the pack modified and might not be supported anymore.

Toa56584

May 4, 2020
So how do I add the old packs I installed from the old launcher back in so that I can play those packs again? I have about 90 of them in the old file, total, and about 15-30 that I actually played, some of which I am anxious to get back into, especially given I can't play them anywhere else as far as I am aware.

Modpack list and directory included for reference purposes. Hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• FTB launcher pack folder old & new drives combined 2020-05-04 165946.png
    FTB launcher pack folder old & new drives combined 2020-05-04 165946.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 163

jtjwsnake

Jul 29, 2019
WHY do you keep making the launcher WORSE??? legacy was perfectly fine! new launcher creates a whole seperate directory folder and doesnt import preinstalled mods/saves!

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
WHY do you keep making the launcher WORSE??? legacy was perfectly fine! new launcher creates a whole seperate directory folder and doesnt import preinstalled mods/saves!
The legacy launcher didn't comply with how Mojang want launchers to work when it comes to handling logging in and probably other stuff. I also remember hearing it was hard to keep updated/work on. There are probably other problems with it as well.

Also, the new launcher is still being worked on. I'm sure that if there are features missing that those will be added sooner or later

Reactions: Toa56584

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
So how do I add the old packs I installed from the old launcher back in so that I can play those packs again? I have about 90 of them in the old file, total, and about 15-30 that I actually played, some of which I am anxious to get back into, especially given I can't play them anywhere else as far as I am aware.

Modpack list and directory included for reference purposes. Hopefully it helps.

I dont have old packs I am currently playing as I have been playing Gregtech New Horizons for 5 lifetimes. But I want to move to a 1.12.2 pack next and am looking at an FTB skybock? Should I use MultiMC?

Toa56584

May 4, 2020
No idea man, I don't really know about that. I asked because I didn't know how to use the ftb packs I have in the old launcher's files in any other launcher, or modding system, especially the right one, the current ftb--given the old one no longer functions at all for me, for launching any modpacks.

Reactions: buncheesy

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
No idea man, I don't really know about that. I asked because I didn't know how to use the ftb packs I have in the old launcher's files in any other launcher, or modding system, especially the right one, the current ftb--given the old one no longer functions at all for me, for launching any modpacks.

If I ever get around to checking out MultiMC I will send a message on its usefulness. I am assuming you have to redownload the pack from Curseforge then move your save files over. Will shift Gregtech New Horizons over to it as some stage (GTNH is best downloaded direct from the developer-links on their thread here). I play modded minecraft in 2 month bursts with huge gaps so I am allways playing very old established packs. These forums arent what they used to be but I still think minecraft (modded only!) is an incredibly rich gaming experience.