FTB Update. (New launcher + FTB Omnia released.)

QuartzSTQ

Apr 15, 2020
Is there any way to get a .zip file that I can use in MultiMC without installing a launcher?

jamierocks

Apr 15, 2020
In addition to this the entire back end of the launcher is now designed to be much more efficient with your resources. Whilst the launcher itself is running it should use a minimal amount of RAM

Has anyone looked into this at all? I did a basic test (looking at memory usage in Process Hacker), and the new FTB App came out ~150MB more than the old FTB Launcher.

Its totally possible I've not collected this data properly (I wouldn't normally measure this on Windows), so I would be interested in any other findings people have :)

Burshaz

Jul 29, 2019
Has there been no UI feedback? *Purely User Feedback*
  • It's functional at best, no modern UI.
  • ModPack list doesn't have feature selection or MC version selection.(search covers this minimally, but its hidden and not apparent to end user)
  • In ModPacks, the mod list is not sort able by any means.
  • No manual update function or update to new instance.
  • No deeper dive on mods than name, version, or hash(what good is that for the end user?)
  • Alternate installs are clunky, duplicate named(visual) until named after the install and have to be manually renamed. Even then the instances are a GUID in the file structure(I see how this allows for an always unique file structure).
  • Discover-ability non existent, search "1.10.2" and magically additional ModPacks show up(might be to hinder adoption while "beta/early access"?)
  • (Windows10) Limited responsive to window size, thumb nails just grow to 5in before scaling down for more than 3 to a row
  • Scroll bar targets are too small and tedious to grab
  • ModPack version accordion UI will not fully collapse to facilitate moving through versions.
As much as it pains me I hope the Curse Launcher exit takes as long as or longer than Brexit at this rate.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
This feature is not added yet, however it is on the roadmap for the future. However for now you can just download the modpack that you are playing on twitch, on the new FTB launcher. Then copy your save file from one instance to the other. However this should be getting resolved in the future.
This is what I did last night, worked great once I figured out what I was doing wrong (not extracting the files :/).

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Was pleasantly surprised yesterday to get the launcher update notice that redirected to the new launcher. I downloaded and migrated my game. Well done!

Will older FTB modpacks be added to this launcher app in the future?

Reactions: asb3pe

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
Has there been no UI feedback? *Purely User Feedback*
  • It's functional at best, no modern UI.
  • ModPack list doesn't have feature selection or MC version selection.(search covers this minimally, but its hidden and not apparent to end user)
  • In ModPacks, the mod list is not sort able by any means.
  • No manual update function or update to new instance.
  • No deeper dive on mods than name, version, or hash(what good is that for the end user?)
  • Alternate installs are clunky, duplicate named(visual) until named after the install and have to be manually renamed. Even then the instances are a GUID in the file structure(I see how this allows for an always unique file structure).
  • Discover-ability non existent, search "1.10.2" and magically additional ModPacks show up(might be to hinder adoption while "beta/early access"?)
  • (Windows10) Limited responsive to window size, thumb nails just grow to 5in before scaling down for more than 3 to a row
  • Scroll bar targets are too small and tedious to grab
  • ModPack version accordion UI will not fully collapse to facilitate moving through versions.
As much as it pains me I hope the Curse Launcher exit takes as long as or longer than Brexit at this rate.

Best bet is post on Github so the developers can see: https://github.com/FTBTeam/FTB-App/issues

Krey

Apr 19, 2020
Hey,
I have 2 suggestions of improvement:
1. A Modlist would be nice at the info page of each modpack.
2. The date of each update of a certain modpack is missing. This is important for me because I play FTB a few months and than make a brake for some months. When I come back I dont know if a modpack got updatet if there is no date when it was updatet.
I hope u understand what i mean (sry for bad english)

Hey,
I have 2 suggestions of improvement:
1. A Modlist would be nice at the info page of each modpack.
2. The date of each update of a certain modpack is missing. This is important for me because I play FTB a few months and than make a brake for some months. When I come back I dont know if a modpack got updatet if there is no date when it was updatet.
I hope u understand what i mean (sry for bad english)

please post this to the issue tracker so it can be added to the todo list :D

Grolimo

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of programs use the appdata folder, and to be frank, it's pretty normal.

It may be "normal" but that doesn't mean it's good.
Especially since Microsoft a/v blocks all access to it making it a big, huge, pain in the rear end.

Grolimo

Jul 29, 2019
Funny thing....

I did that, the FTB program does not show up in my uninstall list, but there is still an exe in my downloads folder (FTBA_windows-x64_1_0_5) with 0kb that even as an administrator, i can not delete because I need admin permissions....

If you happen to have Microsoft Defender/ Anti-virus running, disable that.
Once disabled you will be able to delete the file from a file that's somewhere in the file structure for your profile.

Microsoft has started blocking all changes to the entire user profile folder structure a few updates ago.
And nothing short of disabling their anti-virus fixes this problem.

Unfortunately it's impossible to uninstall their a/v and it's also impossible to stop it from running for longer times or across reboots as it's re-enabling/re-starting itself after a few minutes.

Blisshunt

Apr 10, 2020
Vile dust recipe hasn't changed for me, despite updating. Still says smelting, but that only makes soul glass.

wolfrunner86

Mar 18, 2020
its there going to be a way to sort the packs by MC version, i understand this is just the first beta release

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to get a .zip file that I can use in MultiMC without installing a launcher?

Unless it has changed recently - and I don't think it has - MultiMC does not work with the newest modpacks. Due to a change in the way Forge mod works, only modpacks based on Minecraft version 1.12.2 and below work in MultiMC. The new Omnia modpack from FTB is based on Minecraft version 1.15.2

Obviously, this isn't the place to discuss MultiMC since it has nothing to do with FTB, but I am in the same boat, I much prefer to use MultiMC as my multi-purpose Minecraft Launcher. Having said that, I'm very glad SOMEBODY has actually gotten the newest Forge to "play nice" with launchers. Well done, FTB Team!! I am hopeful it is a sign that someday soon, MultiMC will also successfully figure out a way to handle the newest Forge release.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
How much ram should we be setting omnia? default is 4?

I left it as-is, and the 4 gigs worked just fine for me. I have 32 gigs of RAM and so I usually allocate 12 gigs to Minecraft (LOL yes I'm serious), however, I forgot to change the RAM setting from default and it worked just fine.

Today, because I remembered about RAM, I did try to change the setting to 8 gigs... oddly... the way the RAM slider works in the launcher, it wouldn't allow me to choose 8.00 gigs, the closest I could get was 8.01 GB, which is a very odd number. I hate odd numbers, I'm an even number kinda guy. LOL Oh well, nothing I could do, so I just used 8.01 and shrugged off my Minecraft OCD. hahaha

jamierocks

Apr 15, 2020
MultiMC does not work with the newest modpacks. Due to a change in the way Forge mod works, only modpacks based on Minecraft version 1.12.2 and below work in MultiMC.

MultiMC now supports the new Minecraft Forge installer, thanks to ForgeWrapper.

4everfreekin

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys I just tried to install FTB Omnia over the new launcher but it it got stuck at 100.00% installing. It has been like that for about an hour and a half. Should I just close and reopen the launcher? I fear that I'll have to reinstall the whole thing again because my internet is really garbage. Anyone has had this problem before?

QuartzSTQ

Apr 15, 2020
Unless it has changed recently - and I don't think it has - MultiMC does not work with the newest modpacks. Due to a change in the way Forge mod works, only modpacks based on Minecraft version 1.12.2 and below work in MultiMC. The new Omnia modpack from FTB is based on Minecraft version 1.15.2

Obviously, this isn't the place to discuss MultiMC since it has nothing to do with FTB, but I am in the same boat, I much prefer to use MultiMC as my multi-purpose Minecraft Launcher. Having said that, I'm very glad SOMEBODY has actually gotten the newest Forge to "play nice" with launchers. Well done, FTB Team!! I am hopeful it is a sign that someday soon, MultiMC will also successfully figure out a way to handle the newest Forge release.
The latest versions of Forge are supported now in MultiMC just fine, at least since me posting that. Obviously something has changed on FTB's side since "FTB Legacy" probably gets stuff from wherever the old launcher did.
I was asking about if a way to download and install these packs directly from MultiMC isn't supported yet, at least give me a way to install the packs using an archive, just like installing a pack from CurseForge.

jamierocks

Apr 15, 2020
Obviously something has changed on FTB's side since "FTB Legacy" probably gets stuff from wherever the old launcher did.

The clue is somewhat in the name "FTB Legacy", MultiMC relies on the older mechanisms that FTB Launcher used. The FTB App uses a wholly new CreeperHost-provided backend (modpacks.ch) that works in a totally different way - closer to ATLauncher and Solder.

MultiMC is likely to implement support for the new FTB API - though note it will probably work similar to the CurseForge support (search for the pack).

at least give me a way to install the packs using an archive

CreeperHost don't make packs available as archives, they were only available previously (through the FTB Launcher) as archives as thats how they distributed them. Their API is pretty easy to consume, you could write a pretty simple client to just download the mods (I've done this myself).

just like installing a pack from CurseForge

Actually MultiMC supports installing CurseForge packs natively now (I believe its only in the development builds currently) - just search for a pack, and install.