FTB Ultimate Server No-nos

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shmaxwell

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone I am going to be hosting a FTB server soon and I was wondering what are some of the items that tend to have negative effects on a server? Such as things that will crash it/lag it/other no bueno things.
I've been playing Ultimate but Single Player so any tips would be appreciated :D

Thank you everyone for helping me out <3

Going to start putting what everyone says in here to help organize.
*Disable the creation of mystcraft ages by players.
*go to twilight forest and the nether and hide/place a chunk loader to prevent memory leaks
*Do not pipe things over long distances. Never pipe/tube/power anything into or out of a chunk that it is chunkloaded from a chunk that isn't
*look into permissionsEX, aperf, and mytown
*Even if you allow nukes, seriously consider dropping the S:explosionPowerNuke and especially S:explosionPowerReactorMax values in IC2's config to something more reasonable
*edit config on meteor/fire type bees as at time effect does not dissipate & just keeps building up &, can kill chunks
*consider changing MPS recipes from vanilla to IC2

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Chunkloaders tend to cause extra server drain, so you may want to only allow them to work when the player who used it is online.

Also if you're using SoulShards, make sure everyone knows to turn off their T5 spawners before logging off on penalty of torture or ban(only a issue if Chunkloaders aren't set to only work when the player is online).

I suggest also you get to know all the chunkloaders in FTB Ultimate as you are liable to get at least one jackass who breaks the rules and finds a way to load chunks when not allowed to by simply knowing the mods better then you. Fun Fact: BC Quarries are Chunkloaders. Seriously, what the fuck.

Last, make sure you know about Thaumcraft 3. If you hear talk about a "Triple Meat Treat Factory" someone has built, pay them a visit. With nukes. That's a dedicated vis eater and flux fucker right there. If someone tries to convince you they didn't know that, nuke their base at leave it at that.(and tell them they do it again it's a ban. And follow through if they do it again)

If you don't want to nuke their base, then just break the machines. But Nukes send a better message IMO.

Also, a fun tip for watching your players is the console. You can watch what they say without being logged in, and can ban them without them knowing you know what they're doing.
Secondary tip: Super Cheat Armor from GregTech is horrible if you are in survival mode... but great for spying on players if you're in creative.

Last tip: If you're still on 1.4.7, get a Distortion Cape from Xeno's Reliquary. Gets you into anyone's base, warded blocks or not.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Disable Ultimate or lags the whole server :p

Jokes aside.

Disable the creation of mystcraft ages by players. There is an option in the mystcraft config to prevent book binders from being crafted. That way, only admins can create mystcraft ages. Or your going to end up with hundreds of dimensions.

Before opening the server to the public, go to twilight forest and the nether and hide/place a chunk loader to prevent memory leaks.

Shmaxwell

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome tips all around thank you guys :D

So when I make the post advertising my server what are the rules I'd want to say?
Beside the obvious Dont Steal, Dont Blow Eachothers stuff up etc.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Disable Ultimate or lags the whole server :p

Jokes aside.

Disable the creation of mystcraft ages by players. There is an option in the mystcraft config to prevent book binders from being crafted. That way, only admins can create mystcraft ages. Or your going to end up with hundreds of dimensions.

Before opening the server to the public, go to twilight forest and the nether and hide/place a chunk loader to prevent memory leaks.
All Good Suggestions! Mystcraft ages are good to disable normal crafting of(make ages that do what you need if it's needed), but no Lava Ages or Oil Ages. If people want to drain lava or oil, offer them a connection to a private liquid tesseract doing that already; specifically one hooked up to a Liquid Duplicator. No fuss no muss.

Oh, and remember to offer the lava one to anyone who crafts a GT Advanced Pump, a chunkloader, and a way to get the lava out(tesseracts or ender tanks). Should help prevent lava lag in the nether. Not all of it, mind you, there are always dipshits who think they don't need admin permission to do something, but it'll help in the long run.

Reactions: Eyamaz

StoneShifter

Jul 29, 2019
Last, make sure you know about Thaumcraft 3. If you hear talk about a "Triple Meat Treat Factory" someone has built, pay them a visit. With nukes. That's a dedicated vis eater and flux fucker right there.

jeah, thats actually true, but if you just ensure that your players build far away from each other (if they do not want to build together). So they just mess up their stuff...

Also you might want to ban the rp2 canvas bag because of its dupe bug.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome tips all around thank you guys :D

So when I make the post advertising my server what are the rules I'd want to say?
Beside the obvious Dont Steal, Dont Blow Eachothers stuff up etc.
Oh, and Be mindful of the aura. It's a bit vague, but that'll give you more leeway with it. Basically boils down to don't use Infernal Furnaces and Soul Shards to make automatic triple meat treat's, I suppose.

Also if you think you'll have aura problems at some point, look into installing Thaumic Management Tools. Bit of a godsend for Servers with Thaumcraft and Idiots.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
If this is going to be a public server, look into permissionsEX, aperf, and mytown. Great for greif control. Not going to explain how to use them, if your going to run a server your going to want to research how and learn these and mod configs very well before you open up.

Quarry chunk loading can be turned off in the buildcraft config iirc.

I believe they only load chunks when on works only on chicken chunk loaders, not railcraft anchors (i might be wrong on that.)

As far as what rules?

Don't be too strict. No one will want to play.

No stealing. No grieving. No PvP without consent. Don't ask for admin/creative.

In fact, NEVER, make anyone you don't know an admin.

Shmaxwell

Jul 29, 2019
If this is going to be a public server, look into permissionsEX, aperf, and mytown. Great for greif control. Not going to explain how to use them, if your going to run a server your going to want to research how and learn these and mod configs very well before you open up.

Glad you suggested those mods I havent heard of em before and am looking them up now thanks :D

oh and question: So by hvaing the permissionsEX, aperf, that thaum mod and mytown on my server do I have to warn people that they need to download those mods aswell or will it do it automatically or what?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, another note on mystcraft...

If you disable creation of ages by players, also disable instability. Instability causes lag, and if your going to be making the ages anyway (lava, oil, etc.) you won't need to worry about building the age propperly.

You can also create a mining age and post a rule that quarry, turtle mining can only be done there.

Remember, you can easily fix a laggy age by deleting it. It's much harder to fix your overworld.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Glad you suggested those mods I havent heard of em before and am looking them up now thanks :D

oh and question: So by hvaing the permissionsEX, aperf, that thaum mod and mytown on my server do I have to warn people that they need to download those mods aswell or will it do it automatically or what?

No, they are server side only. (not sure on thaumic tools.)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
No, they are server side only. (not sure on thaumic tools.)
Thaumic Tools isn't server side, sadly. New items means new items. If it was just commands it'd work fine I'm sure. But it's got items 'n blocks.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic Tools isn't server side, sadly. New items means new items. If it was just commands it'd work fine I'm sure. But it's got items 'n blocks.

Good to know. I've never used it but it's on my "test stuff" list now.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
From my own testing:
1. Do not use buildcraft pumps to pump lava, use the gregtech advanced pump.
2. Do not create overly large molecular assembly chambers or overly large me networks. Efficiency is good for both the player's power consumption and the server's cpu consumption.
3. Do not pipe things over long distances. Never pipe/tube/power anything into or out of a chunk that it is chunkloaded from a chunk that isn't. Chunks that do have pipes/tubes/power in them should be chunk loaded if they cross a chunk border as someone walking away from/toward it will cause the aforementioned piping/tubing/powering of stuff across the loaded/unloaded border as it unloads/loads. Help people get into efficient single chunk ME networks w/ ender chests early on instead of large barrel sorting networks/loops.
4. If you're disabling things like nukes for troll potential, also disable nuclear reactors because they offer far superior options for faster bigger explosions. Also you may want to reconsider who you allow on the server if nukes existing is going to be a problem.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Even if you allow nukes, seriously consider dropping the S:explosionPowerNuke and especially S:explosionPowerReactorMax values in IC2's config to something more reasonable. The default values turn a four chunk square area into a glowing crater, which is entertaining, but hell on server CPU load even if you /wanted/ whatever was in the area beforehand blown to hell. 16 or even 8 make good destructive tools without causing servers to have heart attacks.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
There's a lot of info in the server admin's section, especially on items that admins have banned on their servers due to exploits and bugs. Check it out:

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/patch-from-1-0-1-to-1-1-2-ultimate.23142/

Also, once your players have established a base, either ask them to PM their coords to you or check the console when they log in. Check their bases out when they're not around to make sure they are following the rules and aren't building things that could cause server strain.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
You guys forgot one major point, chat/talk in open chat with your player base let them know your around to help sort out any issues that could crop up & be ready to mediate in any minor squabbles, & if you can play along your self with out any creative items your players will respect that more, try to get some community things going, ie like "lets build a spawn town any ideas guys" things to make your players feel more like a community, but most of all have fun mate.

Most anything else has been mentioned above but a couple of things to add, maybe remove portal gun but leave the grav gun so the chunk load of open portals is not an issue, warn about over use of mystcraft crystal portals can be very bad lag, edit config on meteor/fire type bees as at time effect does not dissipate & just keeps building up &, can kill chunks, thats all I can think of atm.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft ages, mob spawners constantly spawning mobs, chunk loaders (though as long as the settings aren't super high it shouldn't be too bad), timers/sequencers/other redpower clocks are all pretty bad for servers. Though with chunk loaders, Feed the Raptor (server I play on) has about 12 or so chunk loaders (if my memory is correct), all with the radius around 2. What I am saying is chunk loaders don't do much as long as you aren't putting the radius on anything extreme like 9.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft ages, mob spawners constantly spawning mobs, chunk loaders (though as long as the settings aren't super high it shouldn't be too bad), timers/sequencers/other redpower clocks are all pretty bad for servers. Though with chunk loaders, Feed the Raptor (server I play on) has about 12 or so chunk loaders (if my memory is correct), all with the radius around 2. What I am saying is chunk loaders don't do much as long as you aren't putting the radius on anything extreme like 9.

The thing to understand with chunk loaders is that each chunk loader set to 10 counts as its own person (people load out to a radius of 10 chunks be default). So if there are 13 chunk loaders set to 10, and 3 people logged on and the server only supports up to 15 people, the server will be overloaded and act like there's at least 13 people on all the time, even if nobody is on. Chunk loaders are fine if one counts them towards the hardware limit and they really help resolve orphaned chunk issues if one has the hardware to spare.