FTB Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My only problem with Gamevox is that they only have Windows software out yet, so us Penguins will have to wait a bit longer.

I understand this, most users will be Windows so you have to build for them first, and I'm encouraged by the fact that they are basing their software on Mumble, and explicitly planning on Linux support, but I was really hoping I could just jump in.

Mordreggy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see a problem with an FTB store. I think the merchandise could be cool and I'm all for supporting the people who make FTB happen. Great work!

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Regarding your p.s. I would like to see what progress is being made on FTB modpack updates intended for use with Minecraft 1.7 which has the new vanilla terrain generation algorithm changes, etcetera.

By the looks of it, this update could be released or about ready for release by the time FTB is ready for 1.6.2 so if there are any plans to take things to the 1.7 level and if any mod or modpack authors are already planning for the 1.7 changes, I would definitely want to hear about them!

I'm particularly excited to see what the authors of biome and terrain generation mods are going to do with the new Amplified mode for vanilla biome generation. I would definitely want to know how they will integrate it with their mods!

I will of course download FTB 1.6.2 when it's actually ready for use with the modpack(s) I'm using! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

lukeb28

Jul 29, 2019
Just so you guys over here know our thoughts on the subject, I'm just going to leave this here.
http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/kitty-jail.27023/page-823#post-434943

To sum it up so far, I think the vibe is that a modder is going to feel undersold (Or something along the lines) and, loudly disagree. The community of modded minecraft seems to have stabilized, or at the very least we aren't trying to kill each other any more and this may upset that balance. One mad modder can start quite the storm.

I am not saying not to go ahead with this, just be careful. Free mods with 'Copyrights' is one thing, but when there is real money involved, the worst in us tends to show more profoundly.

I don't want to be starting any fights here, so I will not be responding to any comments that are clearly fanboy.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Just so you guys over here know our thoughts on the subject, I'm just going to leave this here.
http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/kitty-jail.27023/page-823#post-434943

To sum it up so far, I think the vibe is that a modder is going to feel undersold (Or something along the lines) and, loudly disagree. The community of modded minecraft seems to have stabilized, or at the very least we aren't trying to kill each other any more and this may upset that balance. One mad modder can start quite the storm.

I am not saying not to go ahead with this, just be careful. Free mods with 'Copyrights' is one thing, but when there is real money involved, the worst in us tends to show more profoundly.

I don't want to be starting any fights here, so I will not be responding to any comments that are clearly fanboy.

I think the general fears of those that feel that modders will backlash against ftb for turning into a business is a stretch, esp since slowpoke spent more than a bit of time actually getting opinions from some of the bigger modders (no I don't know which ones, but he is close to more than a few of them.)

To note, the launcher, nor any modpacks will ever have a charge to use or download. They will always be free. The only things that will bring in money to FTB is ad revenue from sponsors and sales of it's own logo/artwork on merchandise like t-shirts and hoodies. Once things in the market place are ironed out, slow has even stated the he will allow modders to have THEIR OWN merchandise there also. Whether or not this will also extend to modpack logos or server logos being able to setup shop also, idk.

I really think, not only will this be good for FTB, I think this will be great for modders as, once the market place is opened, they will have a way to help fund their mods development with merchandise sales.

lukeb28

Jul 29, 2019
I think the general fears of those that feel that modders will backlash against ftb for turning into a business is a stretch, esp since slowpoke spent more than a bit of time actually getting opinions from some of the bigger modders (no I don't know which ones, but he is close to more than a few of them.)

To note, the launcher, nor any modpacks will ever have a charge to use or download. They will always be free. The only things that will bring in money to FTB is ad revenue from sponsors and sales of it's own logo/artwork on merchandise like t-shirts and hoodies. Once things in the market place are ironed out, slow has even stated the he will allow modders to have THEIR OWN merchandise there also. Whether or not this will also extend to modpack logos or server logos being able to setup shop also, idk.

I really think, not only will this be good for FTB, I think this will be great for modders as, once the market place is opened, they will have a way to help fund their mods development with merchandise sales.

I realize that, and my fear personally is if modder A's swag' goes up for said price, then modder B's swag' goes up for less, or not up at all; what kind of fall out occurs? It's impossible to say. It may turn out fine and no one says anything, no issue what so ever. I just don't think the whole situation is fantastic as some modders have, (pardon me if this offends anyone), a sizable ego and can act unpredictably in different circumstances.

I guess the only way we'll know is to sit back and see what happens.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I realize that, and my fear personally is if modder A's swag' goes up for said price, then modder B's swag' goes up for less, or not up at all; what kind of fall out occurs? It's impossible to say. It may turn out fine and no one says anything, no issue what so ever. I just don't think the whole situation is fantastic as some modders have, (pardon me if this offends anyone), a sizable ego and can act unpredictably in different circumstances.

I guess the only way we'll know is to sit back and see what happens.

Oh that I TOTALLY agree with. As long as slow keeps a standard for prices in the market place, it shouldn't be in issue. All things of the same type have to be the same price. Ie all t-shirts are $14 regardless if it's FTB, buildcraft, gregtech, or something like Random Things (price is purely as an example so don't quote me as that's going to be the price for t-shirts.)

As far as a modder not being aloud to sell merchandise in the market place, I can't speak for slow on that. afaik any modder with any mod allowed on the launcher would be allowed to host merch in the market place.

Now, all this is purely off my understanding of what I've heard and been specifically told at this point, but should be fairly accurate at this time. I know slow is taking a huge risk and is funding the startup entirely himself (w/ loans) so if things don't pan out, no one else will suffer.

TheBytemaster

Jul 29, 2019
As far as a modder not being aloud to sell merchandise in the market place, I can't speak for slow on that.

This thought actually worries me profoundly. I hope that when this happens, (I would be amazed if this doesn't become an issue, as Luke said, when money is involved, people tend to lose their heads), it is handled very carefully, quickly, and openly. I could see this creating quite the inferno of rage and hate otherwise.

That said, I really really hope nothing of the sort happens.

Reactions: lukeb28 and Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
This thought actually worries me profoundly. I hope that when this happens, (I would be amazed if this doesn't become an issue, as Luke said, when money is involved, people tend to lose their heads), it is handled very carefully, quickly, and openly. I could see this creating quite the inferno of rage and hate otherwise.

That said, I really really hope nothing of the sort happens.

Yeah, slow hasn't said anything in the streams I've attended nor have I heard how he is exactly going to handle modder's merch as of yet. So I can only infer on that.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, slow hasn't said anything in the streams I've attended nor have I heard how he is exactly going to handle modder's merch as of yet. So I can only infer on that.

He and I discussed this shortly after it was announced.
If/when modders can sell their merchandise, the mod developers will gain all profit from their merchandise sold via the FTB store. (IIRC)

Status
Not open for further replies.