FTB News - May 29th, 2015

B

Big Bad

Busy, busy day, eh? Let’s get rolling!

Horizons: Daybreaker

8tXfRul.png

Arguably the biggest news of the night! At the end of our Town Hall stream, we released a teaser trailer for Horizons: Daybreaker, the sequel to our showcase 1.6.4. pack Horizons.

For those unfamiliar with the Horizons series, these packs are designed to focus primarily on mods new to the FTB family of packs. Like the original pack, Daybreaker will follow in the footsteps of its predecessor by shining the spotlight on fantastic 1.7.10 mods that have often flew under the radar of players.

This time around, Horizons: Daybreaker will be featuring mods like Galacticraft, OpenComputers, Matter Overdrive, Blood Arsenal, Aura Cascade, and many, many more. As we get a bit closer to the release date, we’ll be sharing more information with everyone.

Horizons: Daybreaker is set to release on June 19th during our pre-release stream.​

Mod of the Month Pack

Also revealed during the Town Hall! This name-pending modpack will be a small monthly-released pack that, in each of its different versions, will focus on a singular modification and its add-ons and expansions. While the whole project will carry a unified name, the different update versions of this pack will be stand-alone releases.

The core mod of each version will be chosen by a community vote on this forum at the beginning of each month and the final pack will be released at the start of the following month.

Voting for the first release of this pack will begin on June 1st. Get ready, players!​

Town Hall

Just a few hours ago we wrapped up our first ever Town Hall stream over on Twitch. A few members of the FTB Core Team sat down with the community and answered some questions from the playerbase at large.

To sum up just a few tidbits of the stream:
  • Jampacked II first round of judging set to conclude on June 7th
  • The Content Creators program will be rolled out in the next few weeks. System designed to promote and give resources to individuals who produce content through FTB.
  • New features coming to Curse Voice designed to cater to pack builders and powerusers.
  • A Linux solution is still being considered based on the implementation success of the OS X version of Curse Voice. The platform is also coming to iOS and Android in the near future
  • The FTB website will be getting a makeover soon
  • FTB Charity Events will return in full force
  • New Feed The Beast maps are in development.
  • Merchandise based on older pack logos will be reworked and reintroduced into the storefront.
  • Creeperhost’s Creeperpanel received an overhaul. Hosting FTB servers is now much easier!
  • Much, much more that couldn't be put into a list in a timely and organized manner.
You can watch a mirror of the entire stream below on our YouTube page.​

Pack Updates:

Lite 3, Infinity, and Direwolf20 1.7.10 received non-recommended builds this week. Pending any changes, these updates will be relabeled and Recommended in the near future.

Following the release of Departed, FTB Relentless entered full production this week for an anticipated July release.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Yus! Everything looks awesome. I hung out a bit on the stream, everybody looks so... different from what I expected. :D

• A Lunix solution is being planned based on the success of the OSX version of Curse Voice. The platform is also coming to iOS and Android in the near future
I hate to be a nitpicker but
  • A Lunix solution
shouldn't that be, you know, the other way-ish?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yus! Everything looks awesome. I hung out a bit on the stream, everybody looks so... different from what I expected. :D

I hate to be a nitpicker but

shouldn't that be, you know, the other way-ish?

Unfortunately, they have stats proving there are more who play on Apple out there than on Linux. On the bright side, since Linux and the Mac OS basically have the same ancestor, AT&T Unix (I know Mac is BSD-based but BSD itself is AT&T based), I don't expect the port to be much more than a library change, re-compilation and directory tree restructure/rename.

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not really sure what will be interesting with Mod of the month Pack. The only thing that I see is that we will have a few small packs without mods that are essential for me to enjoy when I play Minecraft. I'm not sure, would't be better to make one big pack with HQM and then through a vote, adds quest for top voted mod. In this case, you could learn to use a particular mod.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not really sure what will be interesting with Mod of the month Pack. The only thing that I see is that we will have a few small packs without mods that are essential for me to enjoy when I play Minecraft. I'm not sure, would't be better to make one big pack with HQM and then through a vote, adds quest for top voted mod. In this case, you could learn to use a particular mod.

I, on the other hand (I have 2, y'know :D) think that smaller packs are an easier way to learn, at least for me.

For example, if Natura is in a pack I don't settle down until I find a 13-block diameter Redwood and go termite. If Tinker's Construct is in the pack then sand, clay and gravel are priorities after food & shelter and 8 logs of wood to make the Stencil Table/Part Builder/Template Chest/Tool Station and create all the wood templates.

The fewer familiar mods will force me out of my comfort zone, at least to the point of looking up mods that I like and adding them to my favorite pack.

Add to that the possibility of better performance and quicker load time? count me in!

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Y'know, I'm not so sure about the whole pack trailers, mainly because all it is is just flashing colours and dubstep, it doesn't tell us anything about the pack at all. The departed trailer and trident at least showed us in game footage of what to expect from the pack.

Considering horizons was a kitchen sink pack, I'm not sure if you could make an ingame footage trailer that would seem unique to your own pack, but it'll be more informative than 'wub wub logo wub'.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Y'know, I'm not so sure about the whole pack trailers, mainly because all it is is just flashing colours and dubstep, it doesn't tell us anything about the pack at all. The departed trailer and trident at least showed us in game footage of what to expect from the pack.

Considering horizons was a kitchen sink pack, I'm not sure if you could make an ingame footage trailer that would seem unique to your own pack, but it'll be more informative than 'wub wub logo wub'.
This reddit chain kind of helps illuminate why there wasn't any gameplay footage in the trailer: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/37rti4/horizons_daybreaker_trailer/crpcx6e

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
This reddit chain kind of helps illuminate why there wasn't any gameplay footage in the trailer: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/37rti4/horizons_daybreaker_trailer/crpcx6e
That's unfortunate for chris, but I'm unsure why FTB are now suddenly pushing for producing trailers. Is it so critical that a trailer is made for a modpack being released in 3 weeks be produced so soon, especially when waiting a bit longer can have a more satisfactory result?

Admittedly, I'm still struggling to see why modpacks NEED trailers, I can see how it'd be useful for promotion but I don't think it will tank if the pack didn't have one.

B

Big Bad

That's unfortunate for chris, but I'm unsure why FTB are now suddenly pushing for producing trailers. Is it so critical that a trailer is made for a modpack being released in 3 weeks be produced so soon, especially when waiting a bit longer can have a more satisfactory result?

Admittedly, I'm still struggling to see why modpacks NEED trailers, I can see how it'd be useful for promotion but I don't think it will tank if the pack didn't have one.

Nah, there's nothing saying that modpacks need trailers. There's certainly no internal rule that we've gotta put out X number of extra things per modpack release. I was the one who wanted to attach it to the end of our stream; ultimately it was me trying to meet my own deadline with limited resources. In my design of the stream (and FTB's marketing strategy in general), I felt it was important to cap off the night with a bit of flair.

But trailers are cool regardless of their impact. They're fun to produce and fun to reveal. Was the Daybreaker trailer the best thing I've ever made? No way. Is there massive room for improvement? You betcha! But it got people talking about a cool pack and, at the end of the day, that was pretty much my goal.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, there's nothing saying that modpacks need trailers. There's certainly no internal rule that we've gotta put out X number of extra things per modpack release. I was the one who wanted to attach it to the end of our stream; ultimately it was me trying to meet my own deadline with limited resources. In my design of the stream (and FTB's marketing strategy in general), I felt it was important to cap off the night with a bit of flair.

But trailers are cool regardless of their impact. They're fun to produce and fun to reveal. Was the Daybreaker trailer the best thing I've ever made? No way. Is there massive room for improvement? You betcha! But it got people talking about a cool pack and, at the end of the day, that was pretty much my goal.
Tru dat. :D
WHOOOO VIDEOS!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I find it funny that anything "Minecrafty" needs trailers.

It's not like console games, where the best advertising also happens to be the best part of the game, I.E. the cinematics :D

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland

Oh I see, I hadn't seen the town hall video, so that at least makes sense about the deadline. It makes much more sense in context.

I'd try to think on something else to contribute to the discission, but gideon looks so nervous in the video it's distracting me

Reactions: Type1Ninja