FTB News 25/01/2015

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
The instant you guys move to the curse client will be the moment I leave feed the beast completely. I use only Linux on my computer and moving to the curse client is the same as blocking me.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The instant you guys move to the curse client will be the moment I leave feed the beast completely. I use only Linux on my computer and moving to the curse client is the same as blocking me.
IIRC a Curse client for Linux is being developed as well
They want to make sure they don't lose any features when they're moving

*Woop woop*

Can't wait for titles!
Oh boy, here we go. The forum will be flooded by cake eaters, Lycaons, Pyure's robots and whatnot.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019

Is there any source on this? Because there is not about Linux on curse client page, only about an unsupported Mac Version, that would mean less feature already.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I can use the curse client just fine in Wine. Also, MultiMC.

Reactions: Padfoote

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I can use the curse client just fine in Wine. Also, MultiMC.

Using Wine is not really a good solution for a Linux user. That's like saying: 'This rotten meat tastes just fine if I am drunk enough, put enough sugar on it and hold my nose closed while eating it'.

Reactions: bgh251f2

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Using Wine is not really a good solution for a Linux user. That's like saying: 'This rotten meat tastes just fine if I am drunk enough, put enough sugar on it and hold my nose closed while eating it'.
I am a linux user(Arch to be specific). I know it's not a GREAT solution, but any port in a storm.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I can use the curse client just fine in Wine.

Wine is not Linux, it is a workaround, I've been always able to play Minecraft and modded Minecraft in Linux without the needs of workarounds. Can they guarantee me support with Wine on the same way as Linux now?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Tnx Slow for the heads up, & thank you all the FTB team for many many hours spent enjoying the fruits of your labors, & for keeping what is now a very old game fresh & interesting, the news all seems great, the one thing that still may need addressing is the issues with 1.7 its self, there are many valid work-arounds like down grading java & fastcraft that I use with varying success on packs, it alone is my solo issue atm, but one I feel needs to be addressed in some form, I totally agree that hqm has added new life blood into packs (pun intended) & hope that this continues to develop, & lastly just cant wait for AS2, just hope the above issues will not hurt the large builds required.

In short tnx guys n gals.
This isn't an issue anyone at Feed the Beast can control. It is an issue within Forge's code, which was supposedly fixed a few updates ago, but I believe it is also an issue in Minecraft's code too, it changes so frequently, it wouldn't surprise me.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't an issue anyone at Feed the Beast can control. It is an issue within Forge's code, which was supposedly fixed a few updates ago, but I believe it is also an issue in Minecraft's code too, it changes so frequently, it wouldn't surprise me.
I believe there are options in the launcher to switch between multiple Java installations, if two are installed on your PC. But still, it's a Forge and General Minecraft issue.
They want to make sure they don't lose any features when they're moving

Oh boy, here we go. The forum will be flooded by cake eaters, Lycaons, Pyure's robots and whatnot.

No-one uses stupid titles. Don't be daft!

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I believe there are options in the launcher to switch between multiple Java installations, if two are installed on your PC. But still, it's a Forge and General Minecraft issue.

No-one uses stupid titles. Don't be daft!
I was talking about the thing which fastcraft is supposed to fix :p

Dunno about Java, I won't be moving past 7 until 1.8/1.9

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
For those asking about Linux support both here and in other places. We have been saying for a long time now that whilst there may not be a Linux solution for the actual Curse client on release, there will always be an alternative method of getting our mod packs through an alternative means for Linux users. I cant say for sure exactly how this will work yet, however it is something that we have committed to.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
For those asking about Linux support both here and in other places. We have been saying for a long time now that whilst there may not be a Linux solution for the actual Curse client on release, there will always be an alternative method of getting our mod packs through an alternative means for Linux users. I cant say for sure exactly how this will work yet, however it is something that we have committed to.

Will it have function parity with the Windows version?

If not that will not be fine to me and, as I already said, will mean goodbye. It is not a question of anger or anything like that, but I will always have the alternative to use the launchers and packs that do want me as a player and that offer me the same functionalities as any other user(like atlauncher and tekkit) without needing hacks, workaround, downloading something on Windows and then copying it on Linux or any other sketchy, no supported way of having the same as any other user.

capSAR273

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like more nifty shiny things coming soon! I really like that Minetweaker is going to be used more, not because the default recipes are boring, but because it gives pack makers and the FTB team so many options. HQM is a wonderful creation and I think it will get proper use in the upcoming modpacks for 1.7. Thanks for the update Slow!

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like more nifty shiny things coming soon! I really like that Minetweaker is going to be used more, not because the default recipes are boring, but because it gives pack makers and the FTB team so many options. HQM is a wonderful creation and I think it will get proper use in the upcoming modpacks for 1.7. Thanks for the update Slow!
You have @Gideonseymour in the Phoenix Team... of course HQM is gonna be getting a proper use ;)

As for Minetweaker, I don't think any pack shouldn't have this mod installed, even if it is just for altering conflicting recipes, as it makes life easier for server owners who want to change stuff, for example they want to allow players to be able to use ChickenChunks to load their bases, but don't want chunkload spam, so they can remove the main chunkloader, and add a "much harder" recipe for these, so that they aren't spammed... I may make this a small project of mine actually (making "server friendly" recipes - stuff that stops chunk loading spam, and removes common lag causes, such as people trying to spam endoflames/charcoal farms for mana)