FTB needs community features...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
Right now the launcher's community features is pretty much non-existent. It would be nice at the very least to be able to rate packs, sort by popularity, and have a tag system for packs. These things are so commonplace around the web that I'm kinda surprised the FTB launcher is void of these simple features.

Reactions: mattp_12

Hazzor

Jul 29, 2019
simple rating methods give rise to the issue that youtuber's packs would just blot blot out anything else, if some youtuber can get thousands of his viewers to positively rate his/her run of the mill mediocre then I think that's crappy...

it's worth noting though that Curse launcher does sorting functions so maybe you want to try that

Reactions: mattp_12

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
It's funny how some people complained about switching to Curse launcher and now these kind of threads appear, requesting similar functions from the Curse launcher for the old launcher. Just use Curse, is so much better. :D

LokiChaos

Jul 29, 2019
As far as features, there are more pressing ones. However, it is my understanding that the FTB launcher is more or less a dead project, and any development is focused on bug fixing and not new features.

I find popularity sorting to be of limited use. Yes, generally good things will be popular, but it isn't assured and plenty of great things never become popular (for various reasons unrelated to its intrinsic merits).

Reactions: jikuja

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
OP really hasn't been keeping up with the news have they. Loool.
Curse has been courting ftb for some time now, new ftb mod packs may eventually be exclusively released on Curse Voice. Which ATM runs like garbage... the amount of times I have had to press retry to get it to run is abysmal. Also the custom pack core mod DL feature sometimes forgets to DL the core mod.
That being said once it works out it's kinks it may ome day make ftb obsolete. Then again it Technic and ATLauncher couldn't do it Curse won't.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Some of us don't use Windows (or don't use Windows exclusively). I'll look at the Curse client when it has Linux support (so, probably never).
I disagree about the "never" bit. They know they're catering to an audience that is (on average) more "techy" than just a generalized population, so they'll be sure to get that working at some point. I know Mac support is in the works; it'd be downright shameful of them to get support for 2 of the 3 major OSes and then stop there. :p

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
Some of us don't use Windows (or don't use Windows exclusively). I'll look at the Curse client when it has Linux support (so, probably never).
Well, that's your choice. Anyhow that was directed to the OP as he wanted sorting functions. :)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I disagree about the "never" bit. They know they're catering to an audience that is (on average) more "techy" than just a generalized population, so they'll be sure to get that working at some point. I know Mac support is in the works; it'd be downright shameful of them to get support for 2 of the 3 major OSes and then stop there. :p

Once Apple support is finalized it shouldn't be terribly hard to make a Linux version... Both Linux and Mac OSes are Unix based, after all.

Also, I've been using Curse Voice since it was released to the public and have never had a big problem. I like the fact that if I delete a profile all of the files for that profile are deleted. FtB tends to spread files around and things like Aroma Backup files, which used to make a new copy every 30 minutes, wouldn't be erased. I once had to clean up about 40GB of backup files for worlds that had been deleted months before.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
The trend of jamming social features into everything isn't really very beneficial to the end user. Generally they only show you what's popular rather than what's good, and are too prone to abuse. If I left it up to society to decide what was good, I'd be listening to Kanye West and watching the Kardashians. In the case of FTB, that would probably be Infinity, which is way too big for my taste and runs poorly for me anyway.

FTB only has so many packs. And unless you're playing HQM then there's really not much difference anyway other than the mod selection. Each has a description of what sort of theme it's about, and there's a list of mods, which should all be a pretty good indication of whether it suits your fancy.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
If the Curse Launcher had an easier way to create packs other than the tampermonkey business, then it would be a serious competetor. but it's really not that impressive as is atm, I can't even save a preferred screen size.

With the current system, you'd be better off tagging posts in the forum, as that's how most people find 3rd party packs.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Also while curses selection is pretty vast it lacks some odd mods. Want to make a pack with BigReactors? Sorry but you will have to DL it elsewhere and add it manually. Curse launcher even if ot wasn't a hot buggy mess would still not be a perfect platform, as a few modders either don't trust it or just want full control over distribution.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk