FTB Monster Sugestion

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should we add Archimedes ships?

• Total voters

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
No I probably won't, but that doesn't mean I don't want to. I don't like the feel of it, and the number of cross mod issues is silly high. You don't really get that with Horizons because I took care as much care as I could for that not to happen and allow players to experience a lot of new, interesting mods. The name Horizons came from that whole "new" to players mentality (at least new to FTB players.)
Monster is an amalgam pack of "give the players the ultimate number of choices for what they can do." It serves it's purpose, but it's not exactly my style.

Explodingcow11

Jul 29, 2019
The author of AS and I agreed many many months ago when I first anounced Horizons as the first 1.6 release pack that it would be included in Horizons and only Horizons.
Though honestly, I'm entirely thinking of riping Monster apart and doing a 2.x.x. very soon.
if that is the deal i wish not to meddle. Secondly, i would not reccomend a total rebuild. I personally have no problems with the pack in its current state. I merely by this form wished to convay an idea i found interesting.[DOUBLEPOST=1392679765][/DOUBLEPOST]
Here. Under the modpacks section it states the flagship pack is in testing. This pack is then later fully revealed here. I also never stated it was "solely" for this purpose, as it also seems to serve the secondary function of being an Unleashed replacement.

If you want the mod in Monster so badly, then manually add it. It's bloody trivial to do so, and takes all of a couple of minutes.

Edited to remove a response to the remainder of the post due to the flame war I can see happening. Let's keep this discussion civil and leave out history, name calling, etc, m'kay?
you however did deny me of one of my better rants I had going there. Regardless, I'm happy we buried the hatchet

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I wouldn't! Monster users including me are getting along fine with it through the disruptions we have recently experienced.
Though for 1.9/1.10 minecraft, could we have double the amount of mods! (-Including AC^)
Problem is just that a lot of people aren't playing it because its not done yet, me included. I don't want to start any big projects only to find my world flawed or broken the next day due to some major but understandable changes.

Despite how eternally grateful I am for the entire team for putting in so much work for all of us, it gets rather tiresome to wait for these packs. It was in late November that we were hearing rumours that the packs were almost here, and I kinda lost interest in continuing my present build at the time because of that.
If starting "a bit over" can help bring us closer to a stable pack, then so be it tbh.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Problem is just that a lot of people aren't playing it because its not done yet, me included. I don't want to start any big projects only to find my world flawed or broken the next day due to some major but understandable changes.

Despite how eternally grateful I am for the entire team for putting in so much work for all of us, it gets rather tiresome to wait for these packs. It was in late November that we were hearing rumours that the packs were almost here, and I kinda lost interest in continuing my present build at the time because of that.
If starting "a bit over" can help bring us closer to a stable pack, then so be it tbh.

Aye, I'm sick of not being able push things stable. Though the only reason Horizons wasn't pushed stable was because of the addition of Tropicraft and the M3 refactor. Though it will more than likely go stable after the next update.
Monster, is a monster.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Aye, I'm sick of not being able push things stable. Though the only reason Horizons wasn't pushed stable was because of the addition of Tropicraft and the M3 refactor. Though it will more than likely go stable after the next update.
Monster, is a monster.

Should have named it something innocuous... like "Pussycat" :D

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No I probably won't, but that doesn't mean I don't want to. I don't like the feel of it, and the number of cross mod issues is silly high. You don't really get that with Horizons because I took care as much care as I could for that not to happen and allow players to experience a lot of new, interesting mods. The name Horizons came from that whole "new" to players mentality (at least new to FTB players.)
Monster is an amalgam pack of "give the players the ultimate number of choices for what they can do." It serves it's purpose, but it's not exactly my style.
I am pretty sure that anyone choosing Monster does not mind a slight lack of balance and a few possible exploits. It comes with such a large pack. Tbh if you want a really well balanced experience you should choose a medium sized pack instead. So don't beat yourself up over creating perfect balance between every mod etc. I think packs like Monster is much more used like sandboxes whereas packs like DW20 might be more used as progression games(just a personal observation).

I want monster because I want the biggest toy box possible with as many shiny toys as possible. I don't really care of any of the toys are bigger than the other. I can play with the small dull and beaten up toys too. But I want them ALL!!

But bugs will be bugs ofc and I guess you have plenty of those to stomp out.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure that anyone choosing Monster does not mind a slight lack of balance and a few possible exploits. It comes with such a large pack. Tbh if you want a really well balanced experience you should choose a medium sized pack instead. So don't beat yourself up over creating perfect balance between every mod etc. I think packs like Monster is much more used like sandboxes whereas packs like DW20 might be more used as progression games(just a personal observation).

But bugs will be bugs ofc and I guess you have plenty of those to stomp out.

Yeah, Monster is by far not designed to be balanced except for a few teams here and there. MF2 and BnB are packs built around particular balances and honestly are the type of packs jaded and I enjoy making and playing.

Reactions: PierceSG

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah, Monster is by far not designed to be balanced except for a few teams here and there. MF2 and BnB are packs built around particular balances and honestly are the type of packs jaded and I enjoy making and playing.
I dont know if you prefer not to go into any details, but what exactly is holding Monster back atm? From the outside the only issue appears to be the world gen issue with ATG. You seem to be doing an awful lot of config changes for ATG. Is it really worth all the work you put into it? Wouldn't it work adequately with close to default configs?

If people didn't like the "close to default" configs, they could alter them themselves, or use Highlands instead which does somewhat the same, but in a more modest way.

By changing the configs a lot, you potentially commit your self to a lot of work in the future if/when the author updates the mod and you would have to redo the configs once more from scratch.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know if you prefer not to go into any details, but what exactly is holding Monster back atm? From the outside the only issue appears to be the world gen issue with ATG. You seem to be doing an awful lot of config changes for ATG. Is it really worth all the work you put into it? Wouldn't it work adequately with close to default configs?

If people didn't like the "close to default" configs, they could alter them themselves, or use Highlands instead which does somewhat the same, but in a more modest way.

By changing the configs a lot, you potentially commit your self to a lot of work in the future if/when the author updates the mod and you would have to redo the configs once more from scratch.

Oh, the ATG configs won't be getting changed again. The only reason they changed in 10 was because TTFT's update broke the ones in 9.
Really, I think there are only a few things left before I push Monster stable. I hope.

Reactions: rhn

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You must also remember the mod is included in the horizons pack, so we see that there is a community demand for the mod.[DOUBLEPOST=1392671535][/DOUBLEPOST]
Remember that all most every mod is situational in their own respective areas. For example railcraft deals solely with rails, among other examples im too lazy to list
Monster is for the new challenge map, that doesn't mean mods not included aren't good mods.

Also, Railcraft has about 227 items, not all of those are rails. Railcraft adds rails, yes, but it also adds automation devices, sorting machines, ore processors, smelters, engines, steam, decorative blocks, tools/armors, and redstone logic.

http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Railcraft <- if you think Railcraft is just rails you should read stuff linked from there.

Im not disagreeing with you, railcraft is a great mod, I do enjoy my little trains, however im simply making the case that there are allot ot situational mods, mabey railcraft was a bad example. Take mods susch as JABBA, flat signs, backpacks, dye trees, infibows, meteor craft..ect. most are all one trick ponies...
All of those are simply util mods, not gigantic ship-adding mods that lag servers.

Also, I should probably point out that Balkondeur Alpha is very selective about his modpack terms.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Monster is for the new challenge map, that doesn't mean mods not included aren't good mods.

Also, Railcraft has about 227 items, not all of those are rails. Railcraft adds rails, yes, but it also adds automation devices, sorting machines, ore processors, smelters, engines, steam, decorative blocks, tools/armors, and redstone logic.

http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Railcraft <- if you think Railcraft is just rails you should read stuff linked from there.

All of those are simply util mods, not gigantic ship-adding mods that lag servers.

Also, I should probably point out that Balkondeur Alpha is very selective about his modpack terms.

As usual, you are SOOO late to the party Santa...

Explodingcow11

Jul 29, 2019

Face palm, someone does not read the entire thread

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
The author of AS and I agreed many many months ago when I first anounced Horizons as the first 1.6 release pack that it would be included in Horizons and only Horizons.
Though honestly, I'm entirely thinking of riping Monster apart and doing a 2.x.x. very soon.

I like the 2.x.x idea.