FTB Monster - Ore Generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
Hey All,

So I'm aware of the cofh generation configs and whatnot that generate ore. Had a few questions still though.

If I have ore generation enabled on another mod's config as well, lets say Mekanism for Osmium and Tin. Will Mekanism's config override cofh? Vice Versa? Or will they BOTH generate ores?

Also, what exactly is retrogen? From what I understand it is used to generate ores when placed in the config...I guess. But where does it gen the ores? Only in new chunks moving forward that I had not previously explored? Will it load in previously loaded chunks? If it generates in previously loaded chunks what would prevent it from filling my base with ores?

Any input is appreciated :)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
From my experience, CoFH determines spawning when it is in, and only CoFH.

Retro gen is when ores will regenerate in previously generated chunks, as soon as they are reloaded.

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019

Retro gen is when ores will regenerate in previously generated chunks, as soon as they are reloaded.

Ok good, so CoFH overrides all? I was worried some of the lesser mods would cause CoFH not to load. As long as that does then its all good.

So, if retro gen generates ore in previously generated chunks as soon as they are reloaded, how exactly does it pick where to generate in said chunk? I guess I haven't seen an active case of ore regen-ing, it has not generated anything in my base or the natural cave system under it. Everything is still clear of ore. Does it only regenerate in untouched generated chunks?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Ok good, so CoFH overrides all? I was worried some of the lesser mods would cause CoFH not to load. As long as that does then its all good.

So, if retro gen generates ore in previously generated chunks as soon as they are reloaded, how exactly does it pick where to generate in said chunk? I guess I haven't seen an active case of ore regen-ing, it has not generated anything in my base or the natural cave system under it. Everything is still clear of ore. Does it only regenerate in untouched generated chunks?
No, it generates in valid spawning locations (Stone in the layer range where it spawns). You need to leave the area and load it again.

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
No, it generates in valid spawning locations (Stone in the layer range where it spawns). You need to leave the area and load it again.

So would it be reasonable to assume this would not work for the spawn chunks since those are always loaded?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

Since when? FTB just disables all ore gen except COFH, I have never heard of it overriding everything.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Since when? FTB just disables all ore gen except COFH, I have never heard of it overriding everything.

I didn't have any osmium generate when I added Mek until I added it to CoFH. I could always be wrong though.

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah my mek came with osmium off by default. Thought that was silly since its the base of the entire mod. Unfortunately I didn't notice till I generated my world and played for a long while so I don't want to reset. I've added it to the cofh config with retrogen true and left mek disabled. I still haven't found any and even switched my world spawn at hopes of kicking the retrogen in my area. Still havnt found any :( is there a config option to turn retrogen on as a whole? My retrogen=true across the board. Can someone with working retrogen osmium copy paste me their config line so I can compare?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Hey All,

So I'm aware of the cofh generation configs and whatnot that generate ore. Had a few questions still though.

If I have ore generation enabled on another mod's config as well, lets say Mekanism for Osmium and Tin. Will Mekanism's config override cofh? Vice Versa? Or will they BOTH generate ores?

Also, what exactly is retrogen? From what I understand it is used to generate ores when placed in the config...I guess. But where does it gen the ores? Only in new chunks moving forward that I had not previously explored? Will it load in previously loaded chunks? If it generates in previously loaded chunks what would prevent it from filling my base with ores?

Any input is appreciated :)
When using COFH to generate ores, it doesn't override normal mods ore gen. They are turned off in the configs by the modpack team to let COFH do it. In your example of Mekanism, what I would suggest is to disable the mekanism ore's that overlap such as copper and tin(I think that is all)in your Mekanism configs. Most mods have a config so you can disable the common ores that many mods use and allow it to generate the rest of it's ores. I allow COFH to generate all the ores it is configured for, disable mod ores that are duplicates and let it generate the rest of it's own unique ores. This will keep you from having multiple types of copper and tin to deal with. If you feel like you are running low on a certain ore based on how much an added mod needs, you can adjust the spawn rate in COFH to spawn more per chunk or larger clusters.

Retro gen will generate ores in previously generated chunks according to normal spawn rules. It should only replace stone, not other ores or mod blocks. I think it will work in your spawn chunk if you restart. I am fairly certain my current base in a modpack I made is in the always loaded spawn chunks and retrogen worked there.

On a side note, I made my own pack and osmium was not disabled by default. Is there by chance a config in the Monster pack for Mekanism already since it has many configs for other mods that aren't in the pack either. I know FTB uses a universal config that covers tons of mods that aren't in the pack by default. It is possible the FTB premade config has osmium disabled and when you add Mek, it already sees a config and doesn't generate a new one.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yeah my mek came with osmium off by default. Thought that was silly since its the base of the entire mod. Unfortunately I didn't notice till I generated my world and played for a long while so I don't want to reset. I've added it to the cofh config with retrogen true and left mek disabled. I still haven't found any and even switched my world spawn at hopes of kicking the retrogen in my area. Still havnt found any :( is there a config option to turn retrogen on as a whole? My retrogen=true across the board. Can someone with working retrogen osmium copy paste me their config line so I can compare?

Here's what I did when I added Mek (I changed the values slightly to make Osmium more common than normal, but barely):
CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg:
Code:
  ####################
  # oreosmium
  ####################

oreosmium {
  I:ClusterSize=8
  I:MaxY=48
  I:MinY=5
  I:NumClusters=3
  B:RetroGen=true
  }
WorldCustomGen.txt:
Code:
UNIFORM oreOsmium 2450   0   6   6   4   60   true
Changing the true to false will disable retrogen for Osmium.

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
Here's what I did when I added Mek (I changed the values slightly to make Osmium more common than normal, but barely):
CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg:
Code:
  ####################
  # oreosmium
  ####################

oreosmium {
  I:ClusterSize=8
  I:MaxY=48
  I:MinY=5
  I:NumClusters=3
  B:RetroGen=true
  }
WorldCustomGen.txt:
Code:
UNIFORM oreOsmium 2450   0   6   6   4   60   true
Changing the true to false will disable retrogen for Osmium.

What is this for? "I:BlockMeta=0"

I've noticed theres a few entries with that, sometimes 0, sometimes a value like 4 or 5.

InsaneMoose

Jul 29, 2019
Ah so I've figured out and its super silly aka should have checked first but who am I to have known!?!?!?!

# This will retroactively generate ores in previously generated chunks.
B:RetroactiveOreGeneration=true

This can be found in CoFHWorld.cfg - Although this seems obvious, I guarantee there are people who are having the issue of no retrogen because this is disabled by default (possibly, was on mine at least). Nearly every tutorial or forum post google could find had only mentioned the WorldCustomGen.cfg and CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg

Praise the sun.