FTB freezes PC. Badly.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

bmyblake

Jul 29, 2019
I went to the tech support forum but that was submit a bug report and i didn't want to waste people time actually trying to fix things. So most FTB packs i run have extreme lag, and not in the sense that im running 10 fps. Like my entire PC will freeze, i close all other applications to try to prevent this but it still doesn't work, when its not freezing up the game runs fine. used to be infinity now im trying out the new direwolf20. Im aware that alot of mods cause problems however my PC should be able to handle it im sure theres an option to click somewhere im just not aware of. If anyone has advice thanks!

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Some general performance tips:

Make sure you are allocating enough ram, some of the new 1.10 packs need 6GB or more.

Try turning down video settings in-game (fancy graphics, smooth lighting, reduce chunk view distance, if you pack has Optifine there are many more settings)

Close any other programs (including browsers) while you are playing Minecraft.

What are the specs of your PC?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
3 questions which you'll need to answer:

1) What's your PCs specs (processor, GPU, and RAM specifically)
2) What Java version are you running?
3) What other programs do you have running in the background (sometimes you could have something like Chrome eating your resources and causing lag)

bmyblake

Jul 29, 2019
Some general performance tips:

Make sure you are allocating enough ram, some of the new 1.10 packs need 6GB or more.

Try turning down video settings in-game (fancy graphics, smooth lighting, reduce chunk view distance, if you pack has Optifine there are many more settings)

Close any other programs (including browsers) while you are playing Minecraft.

What are the specs of your PC?
I already turned down the ingame settings and it didnt see to help. I also have everything like browsers closed and pretty sure ive allotted enough ram on the curse slider.

Specs:
059a20d956.png

ee029a5166.png

8 gigs of ram
(Hopefully thats what you need)

bmyblake

Jul 29, 2019
3 questions which you'll need to answer:

1) What's your PCs specs (processor, GPU, and RAM specifically)
2) What Java version are you running?
3) What other programs do you have running in the background (sometimes you could have something like Chrome eating your resources and causing lag)

I hadn't even thought to update java until you said something that would probably help wouldn't it?
(Java Version)
6416e7ceaa.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
ive allotted enough ram on the curse slider.
How much? With only 8GB total you could easily memory starve your OS etc. by allocating too much to MC. To prevent crashing it starts using the pagefile as RAM. And your HDDs are dramatically slower than RAM, often causing horrible performance.

bmyblake

Jul 29, 2019
How much? With only 8GB total you could easily memory starve your OS etc. by allocating too much to MC. To prevent crashing it starts using the pagefile as RAM. And your HDDs are dramatically slower than RAM, often causing horrible performance.
A little bit above 6 gigs

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A little bit above 6 gigs
I would recommend reducing that. OS tend to use 1.5GB. And you have a lot of other random crap running, and various other stuff that spends/reserve memory.

Ingame you can press F3 and see how much you use to run the pack. Set it to slightly above that.

bmyblake

Jul 29, 2019
No log for me to look at so I'll just ask, what is your Mip Map set to?
Its set to 4 but after changing my ram usage and updating java it seems to be running smoothly now. Updating java never crossed my mind as i remember an update long ago broke one of the modpacks i was playing and had to roll it back.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
You will get better performance with it set lower, but if it's already running smooth it's obviously not the issue in this case, you do have a decent gfx card after all.