FTB Departed Discussion

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that's good info about the how the skillups work -- it explains the problem we've had.

We've been looking all over for a Savanna for like a week, with no luck. I finally gave in and loaded it up in Amidst -- closest one is about 4000, 5000 blocks away. o_O We'd actually found a smallish patch of "warm biomes" about 2000 blocks away in a different direction, but it was only desert and variants, no savanna or mesa.

What are the teleportation / fast travel options in this pack? The ones I usually go for aren't present. I'm hoping there's something better than walking 800m in the nether each time we want to go there or back. (I'm fine doing that once, but I really don't want to do that every time.)

Any gotchas I should know about upgrading the mod on the server? Will all the clients need to upgrade as well, or is just upgrading the server OK in this particular case? (Some of my friends are not very technically savvy, so getting them to all tweak their clients correctly is pretty unlikely.)

Thanks for the info! :)

all clients must update the mod, its client side not server side

Crackerz

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that's good info about the how the skillups work -- it explains the problem we've had.

We've been looking all over for a Savanna for like a week, with no luck. I finally gave in and loaded it up in Amidst -- closest one is about 4000, 5000 blocks away. o_O We'd actually found a smallish patch of "warm biomes" about 2000 blocks away in a different direction, but it was only desert and variants, no savanna or mesa.

What are the teleportation / fast travel options in this pack? The ones I usually go for aren't present. I'm hoping there's something better than walking 800m in the nether each time we want to go there or back. (I'm fine doing that once, but I really don't want to do that every time.)

Any gotchas I should know about upgrading the mod on the server? Will all the clients need to upgrade as well, or is just upgrading the server OK in this particular case? (Some of my friends are not very technically savvy, so getting them to all tweak their clients correctly is pretty unlikely.)

Thanks for the info! :)
Don't know too much about all the methods, but you can make a glider from Openblocks that allows you to glide at fast speeds, there's also the gravity blaster, a weapon from AoA that boosts you 19 blocks into the air, but it doesn't negate fall damage, its a rare drop from Bush babies (5% chance), they spawn in the jungle. I don't know if the minimap in this pack has a way of teleporting.
But another good way to travel is to combine the Glider and the Gravity blaster, first, you boost yourself in the air with the Gravity blaster, then while in the air, you use the glider to well, glide.
(Hint: If you hold down shift while gliding, you'll speed up and go down faster)
One more thing about the glider, they made it very expensive in this pack, it now requires Amethyst ingots and Rammerhead hides, Rammerheads are level 12 hunter mobs that spawn in.... The savanna....
If I remember correctly, Witchery adds a flying broom, but I have no clue how to get that...

I don't know much about updating modded servers, maybe you should ask someone who knows more about that, I'm guessing all you need to do is have the server updated to Aoa 2.3.1, and have people update their AoA to log in...?
(I don't even use departed, I have my own pack of 27 mods, some of them are also in Departed, such as AoA, Open blocks, and Tinkers construct.)

Retec

Jul 29, 2019
One more thing about the glider, they made it very expensive in this pack, it now requires Amethyst ingots and Rammerhead hides, Rammerheads are level 12 hunter mobs that spawn in.... The savanna

This. Plus the Rammerhead hides are not a very common drop - about 10%-20% in my experience. So I hope RNGesus is on your side...

So just making a glider is an adventure in itself: searching 4000+ blocks away (in my world as well) for a savanna, getting your Hunter level up, hunting the Rammerheads while trying to avoid the other tougher mobs, not running out of good food so far from home...
Definitely need patience and preparation for this quest. Something I was not expecting.

fireguy

Jul 29, 2019
How to disable the lootable bodies mod? I dont see the mod file. The reason I dont want the mod is that whenever I die in the first 5 minutes of the game From something with 100 health spawn killing me and I go into creative to get my stuff...creative deletes all items in the lootable body and keepInvintory does not work.

Retec

Jul 29, 2019
How to disable the lootable bodies mod? I dont see the mod file. The reason I dont want the mod is that whenever I die in the first 5 minutes of the game From something with 100 health spawn killing me and I go into creative to get my stuff...creative deletes all items in the lootable body and keepInvintory does not work.

Hmm - I have not seen this, had to do this many times. My stuff is always in the body, creative or not.

fireguy

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm - I have not seen this, had to do this many times. My stuff is always in the body, creative or not.
That's weird... Also when I go in peaceful to get my loot the body is still there but has no HP and is not r click able
EDIT:I found the mod file, I was looking at a dif modpack.

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a good method for placing water for these hydroangeas that can't take from source blocks? I was thinking golems could probably do that but I'm still looking for a better way to automate the filling of my lava tanks.

benkc

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I looked up the glider on day 1, having loved it in the last pack we played (Crash Landing). Glider plus nether travel might not be so bad -- and I mismathed last night, it'd be ~500 blocks in nether, not ~800. I'll try getting us out to Savanna tonight.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a good method for placing water for these hydroangeas that can't take from source blocks? I was thinking golems could probably do that but I'm still looking for a better way to automate the filling of my lava tanks.

I use a 3x3 pool and put the flowers outside at the corners
Like this
http://i.imgur.com/eallMRP.png

I use floating hydroangeas and make a tower as big as needed as the floating flowers can be placed on top of each other.
I believe you can use a 2x2 water source currently - this option has been changed a few times, so I stick with 3x3

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
I use a 3x3 pool and put the flowers outside at the corners
Like this
http://i.imgur.com/eallMRP.png

I use floating hydroangeas and make a tower as big as needed as the floating flowers can be placed on top of each other.
I believe you can use a 2x2 water source currently - this option has been changed a few times, so I stick with 3x3
Hmm, this works? I don't have a picture right now but I was unable to get my hydroangeas to take from the corner of a 3x3 pool. After a (very) breif look it sounded like they wouldn't take from self-replenishing water sources anymore. And then I tried filling in the pool to be 1x1 and it took from that.

EDIT: also, is that falling water? Or did you manuall place source blocks all the way up?

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
not my farm, mine is the same just a bit smaller, it works beautifully lots of mana. you can even put the spreader in the centre of the water
They are all source blocks. The water has to self replenish for this to work, a 1x1 will only work one time

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, but the issue I'm having is that
not my farm, mine is the same just a bit smaller, it works beautifully lots of mana. you can even put the spreader in the centre of the water
They are all source blocks. The water has to self replenish for this to work, a 1x1 will only work one time
Hmm, but that's the issue I'm having, is that when the water can self replenish, the hydroangea won't take from it. In the picture, the hydroangea isn't drinking at all.

How do you see your leve of your hunter skill and the others?
Default key is C, but I believe it is conflicting with something else so you have to change one or the other.

Attachments

• 2015-06-12_15.34.04.png
    2015-06-12_15.34.04.png
    572.7 KB · Views: 65

peterM

Jul 29, 2019
Default key is C, but there may be a conflict and need to re map. Once shown, the arrow keys scroll through the names.
Oh wow. Thank you very much :). There was indeed a conflict, although it wasn't shown...

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, but the issue I'm having is that

Hmm, but that's the issue I'm having, is that when the water can self replenish, the hydroangea won't take from it. In the picture, the hydroangea isn't drinking at all.
Are yours all source blocks? it looks like theres just one source in the centre, the water in the corners doesnt look level, its sloping down into the corner, it shouldnt do this!
It helps to make the pool before putting the plant down, as the plant will drain the source you place in the corner, thus you never make a proper replenishing pool

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Are yours all source blocks? it looks like theres just one source in the centre, the water in the corners doesnt look level, its sloping down into the corner, it shouldnt do this!
It helps to make the pool before putting the plant down, as the plant will drain the source you place in the corner, thus you never make a proper replenishing pool
They are indeed all source blocks, the sloping, I believe, is caused by the way minecraft handles the empty corners.

Attachments

• 2015-06-12_16.28.16.png
    2015-06-12_16.28.16.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2015-06-12_16.28.26.png
    2015-06-12_16.28.26.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 59

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, this works? I don't have a picture right now but I was unable to get my hydroangeas to take from the corner of a 3x3 pool. After a (very) breif look it sounded like they wouldn't take from self-replenishing water sources anymore. And then I tried filling in the pool to be 1x1 and it took from that.
They still take from infinite water source, they just don't destroy the blocks though. So see if it's making mana, it shouldn't have any visual signs though thanks to the change of not destroying infinite source blocks. It's not a bug if they don't seem to destroy it, they're not meant to.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
My corners drop when the flower drains them then go back up as the water replenishes.
If they are all source blocks then it should be working!

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
They are indeed all source blocks, the sloping, I believe, is caused by the way minecraft handles the empty corners.
Ah! I did not know this, that is probably it then, thank you. I don't know anything about botania so I'll have to check with my friend later if they are still producing mana although the source is not depleting.

I still pose part of my original question though, in regards to harvesting lava? I'm looking for something equivalent to the serenade of nether from blood magic or an ender-thermic pump.