FTB Departed Discussion

MrTopf

Jul 29, 2019
Does anybody actually know what the seeds are good for you can get from the naturalist? So far I found out:

• Heart fruit will damage me (and feed me though)
  • Hollytop seeds apparently for the arrows (formerly known as elemental arrows)
  • Bubble Berries just seem to feed me
  • Magic Marang gives me Nausea and Weakness for 10s.

As the thorns one are for trading are the others maybe, too?

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
so whats the suggested order for dimensions, Ive done nether and Overworld so far Alacrity armor (wanted weaken, but cant find a mega taiga)

Side note How do you open Deep Cases? NVM standard picks open them Tico just makes them drops.

Last edited:

Shadows_of_Fire

Jul 29, 2019
Another thought about the Precasia. For the matter of The Spice of Life mod being added in, the Skeletal Armor should most likely be disabled, or at least have its cost made much, much higher. Especially considering other infinite food items (Think The Fruit of Grisaia) are extremely endgame.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
anything not related to thaumcraft? have not progressed in it at all yet.
Not unless witchery or AoA has something. Those are the two mods i'm unfamiliar with. Botania's Pyroclast Pendant keeps you from either taking fire damage or being on fire, not too sure, so long as you're not actively standing in fire or lava.

MrTopf

Jul 29, 2019
is there a way to get a passive, or one click remove wither / poison / fire ettects?

Milk? :)

That's at least easy to obtain but of course won't help with fire. For fire there are various other options though like the poppet of fire protection or the pyroclast pendant from Botania. The latter needs some nether resoureces though (like netherwart). There is also the infernal armor for this but that might be more difficult to obtain without fire protection. I am going for the poppet right now.

Witchery also has purified milk. It only removes one status effect at a time but it's stackable, see https://sites.google.com/site/witcherymod/purified-milk

It also is very early game witchery and might be a good start maybe into the mod if you've never done it before (like the poppet I guess).

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
I think instead of having books with explination of certain mod elements and having a big list of stuff to read, I think it should be incremental, and 'optional' achiements such as... "surviving your first night! try to create an enclosed space with a bed to sleep through the night creatures" then "Familiar Steps! back to basics we need to go mining till you can gather some diamonds, all additional ores added by this modpack (minus TiC ores) need diamond to obtain.

just small milestones to follow if lost rather then a book containing information on everything and getting a bit full on.

Reactions: Retec

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I think instead of having books with explination of certain mod elements and having a big list of stuff to read, I think it should be incremental, and 'optional' achiements such as... "surviving your first night! try to create an enclosed space with a bed to sleep through the night creatures" then "Familiar Steps! back to basics we need to go mining till you can gather some diamonds, all additional ores added by this modpack (minus TiC ores) need diamond to obtain.
Not quite true, I didn't acquire diamonds till after I got limonite as I've had bad luck finding any vanilla ore rarer then iron. I used explosion mining on a limonite vein, specifically I managed to get some gunpowder which I then used for making some TNT.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
This pack really needs more scripting for Thaumcraft aspects. The deconstruction table sucks.
That's a ton of work though. I'd conisder making a recipe for knowledge fragments though.
is there a way to get a passive, or one click remove wither / poison / fire ettects?
There's a staff that removes fire you can get in the Nether: http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Ember_Staff
There's also a much later staff you can get that removes all status effects instantly: http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Web_Staff
Another thought about the Precasia. For the matter of The Spice of Life mod being added in, the Skeletal Armor should most likely be disabled, or at least have its cost made much, much higher. Especially considering other infinite food items (Think The Fruit of Grisaia) are extremely endgame.
While that is true, you also miss out on every other armor buff. There's an armor that constantly spawns friendly weak short lived minions, an armor that grants infinite resistance, armor sets that negate poison, withering, fire, etc. One that gives stupid regeneration, one that reflects all damage taken back on the attacker, one that boosts sniper fire, and then there's this beast as well: http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Nethengeic_Armor . There are so much more than that available. I just mentioned the armor sets off the top of my head.

So you have a choice really. Either carry around some food with you on your expeditions and wear armor with an incredibly useful buff, or wear armor that just feeds you and free up a few slots in your backpack. And six types of food is easy enough to maintain that the skeletal armor isn't much of a boost at all really.

just small milestones to follow if lost rather then a book containing information on everything and getting a bit full on.
The thing is, this is such an expansive mod that you need a lot of information. The point of the books is to supply information about the mod and the pack in general without forcing the player in one direction or another. Achievements or quests would make gameplay more linear.

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite true, I didn't acquire diamonds till after I got limonite as I've had bad luck finding any vanilla ore rarer then iron. I used explosion mining on a limonite vein, specifically I managed to get some gunpowder which I then used for making some TNT.

did you change your config for that? cause for me limonite cant be mined without a diamond pick.

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, this is such an expansive mod that you need a lot of information. The point of the books is to supply information about the mod and the pack in general without forcing the player in one direction or another. Achievements or quests would make gameplay more linear.

I agree, I think I didn't explain what I meant to well. I wasn't meaning quests or a linear book, I was more thinking what you would getting when you look up "progression guides" or "taking your first steps" guides. not really saying 'build this to progress' more saying 'try going for this at this stage' or 'if you are low on this you might try this'

or split it in such about questions people might ask, for example 'low on food? try these' or 'not sure where to get a next upgraded weapon' or 'are you ready for X dimension?'

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
did you change your config for that? cause for me limonite cant be mined without a diamond pick.
Mining level and blast resistance are entirely unrelated values. Limonite has a low enough blast resistance to be exploded by TNT, but not a high enough mining level to be mined by an iron pick.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
That's a ton of work though. I'd conisder making a recipe for knowledge fragments though.
Well I think that Phoenix Team released a script to add aspects to botania items, might be a decent starting point as that's one of the worse offenders for lacking aspects. Adding oredict support to the AoA trees should deal with them at the same time it allows them to be used in crafting, altars, and livingwood. The rest is much tougher and more time consuming to deal with, AoA adds stupid amount of blocks after all so probably not worth doing except for completeness.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Another option, which I used, was making a manasteel pick. Same mining level as diamond and never breaks as long as you have mana. I was fully decked out with limonite tools (and could have had better if I'd felt like using the Rosite or Jade I'd found) before I ever saw a diamond.

MynameisAK

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully starting up a discussion here, I don't think Tinkers Construct has a place in the pack.

AoA adds thier own items and even though a lot of work has been done to have the Nevermine 2 metals in Tinkers Construct, they are just too powerful.

Why make any other sort of sword if tinkers does better, in fact why even use a sword (unless the hunter mob has ranged immunity) when you can make a bow or crossbow that one hits all common mobs and takes bosses down in a few hits. The AoA guns and energy weapons are cool, but in comparison to any tinkers weapon, they're just obsolete...

Reactions: Crackerz

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully starting up a discussion here, I don't think Tinkers Construct has a place in the pack.

AoA adds thier own items and even though a lot of work has been done to have the Nevermine 2 metals in Tinkers Construct, they are just too powerful.

Why make any other sort of sword if tinkers does better, in fact why even use a sword (unless the hunter mob has ranged immunity) when you can make a bow or crossbow that one hits all common mobs and takes bosses down in a few hits. The AoA guns and energy weapons are cool, but in comparison to any tinkers weapon, they're just obsolete...

TiC does add the double ores mechanic, but i agree they are way to powerful for how easy they are to get compared to the others.