FTB, CurseForge, Overwolf and the future

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
So, there's no way to actually upload a pack to curseforge right now?
That's got to be a bad situation for the community to be in, with all the developments and progress... and no way to do anything with it?

How'd we end up in such a bad place, surely there was warning in advance?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Team Member
Director
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Twitch Channel
https://twitch.tv/quetzi
Yea, there was warning ahead of time, but due to the nature of the migration that they need to do it's necessitated putting the entire site into read only for a period. They were initially saying that this could be up to 1 week, however I think they have got Twitch on board to support them getting that down to just a few days.

Note that we can in no way talk on behalf of OverWolf or Twitch in this, we are as much onlookers to the migration process as anyone else is.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Whelp, if I can't upload a better modpack, then I'll just have to knuckle down and work on my scripts and make them better, so what I DO upload is as refined as possible.

VenoM_31

Jul 29, 2019
Uhmm... So I canceled the Overwolf install out of spite - I don't like forced installs of unknown apps - and FTBApp has already nuked itself... Can I still play at least with the modpacks I downloaded before? Their data still sits in the 'instances' folder. Thanks!

Reactions: Kurtoid

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Team Member
Director
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Twitch Channel
The install was not forced as you were asked if you wanted to install it. The FTB app was then removed as you refused permission for its dependency to be installed. The uninstall doesn’t touch your instances folder so you should be able to play them again if you decide to reinstall at a later date.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Team Member
Director
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Twitch Channel
The current Linux App will be kept at feature parity with the Overwolf based FTB App until such time that Overwolf supports Linux, at which point we'll switch over from Electron to Overwolf.

Ferseth

Jan 4, 2021
The install was not forced as you were asked if you wanted to install it. The FTB app was then removed as you refused permission for its dependency to be installed. The uninstall doesn’t touch your instances folder so you should be able to play them again if you decide to reinstall at a later date.
You know this response was disingenuous right? You know what they meant by forced to install right? Being made to install the Overwolf program in order to use FTB app IS being forced to install Overwolf if we wish to use FTB modpacks. You know that is what they meant. Spin all you want but responding to a issue someone has with "there is no issue" is rude and degusting. But obviously you do not care. I get you all do not have much of a choice because you all sold out years ago to twitch. This what the EXACT crap people where upset would happen. Forge got popular got greedy sold out and now is owned by someone who is only in it to milk you all dry. Given that you are an example of who is in charge of it now... Seems like this is the beginning of the end. I know when as a user I become the product. "Analytics that will be available to Overwolf" "You can turn it off if you want!" You know that it being default on means most people will not even know it is doing it. Its the reason the ad companies are mad at Apple for switching to block data collection by default. Most people if presented with the direct option to have it off or on turn it off. If you hide it in the settings most people will never even know you are STEALING their personal data.

Ferseth

Jan 4, 2021
Hey, look turns out I CAN'T turn off data collection completely. So now I am also forced to let Overwolf harvest my data and they do not list all of the data you are forced to allow to be collected. This list is NOT exclusive as it says they need to store some data "such as" this means there are likely more they would rather not tell you about. " For users of the app that do not wish for their data to be collected they will be able to opt out of this completely. " Guess this was a lie then.
1609783245593.png

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Team Member
Director
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Twitch Channel
Hey, look turns out I CAN'T turn off data collection completely. So now I am also forced to let Overwolf harvest my data and they do not list all of the data you are forced to allow to be collected. This list is NOT exclusive as it says they need to store some data "such as" this means there are likely more they would rather not tell you about. " For users of the app that do not wish for their data to be collected they will be able to opt out of this completely. " Guess this was a lie then.
View attachment 38651
If you read this you will notice that it is literally the bare minimum that they need to do in order to make their service functional. You also do not need an Overwolf account to use the FTB App, and you don't need to log in to the FTB App in order to use that. No personal data is being sold to third parties, although it was prior to our involvement with Overwolf.