FTB, CurseForge, Overwolf and the future

VenoM_31

Jul 29, 2019
Uhmm... So I canceled the Overwolf install out of spite - I don't like forced installs of unknown apps - and FTBApp has already nuked itself... Can I still play at least with the modpacks I downloaded before? Their data still sits in the 'instances' folder. Thanks!

Reactions: Kurtoid

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The install was not forced as you were asked if you wanted to install it. The FTB app was then removed as you refused permission for its dependency to be installed. The uninstall doesn’t touch your instances folder so you should be able to play them again if you decide to reinstall at a later date.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The current Linux App will be kept at feature parity with the Overwolf based FTB App until such time that Overwolf supports Linux, at which point we'll switch over from Electron to Overwolf.

Ferseth

Jan 4, 2021
The install was not forced as you were asked if you wanted to install it. The FTB app was then removed as you refused permission for its dependency to be installed. The uninstall doesn’t touch your instances folder so you should be able to play them again if you decide to reinstall at a later date.
You know this response was disingenuous right? You know what they meant by forced to install right? Being made to install the Overwolf program in order to use FTB app IS being forced to install Overwolf if we wish to use FTB modpacks. You know that is what they meant. Spin all you want but responding to a issue someone has with "there is no issue" is rude and degusting. But obviously you do not care. I get you all do not have much of a choice because you all sold out years ago to twitch. This what the EXACT crap people where upset would happen. Forge got popular got greedy sold out and now is owned by someone who is only in it to milk you all dry. Given that you are an example of who is in charge of it now... Seems like this is the beginning of the end. I know when as a user I become the product. "Analytics that will be available to Overwolf" "You can turn it off if you want!" You know that it being default on means most people will not even know it is doing it. Its the reason the ad companies are mad at Apple for switching to block data collection by default. Most people if presented with the direct option to have it off or on turn it off. If you hide it in the settings most people will never even know you are STEALING their personal data.

Ferseth

Jan 4, 2021
Hey, look turns out I CAN'T turn off data collection completely. So now I am also forced to let Overwolf harvest my data and they do not list all of the data you are forced to allow to be collected. This list is NOT exclusive as it says they need to store some data "such as" this means there are likely more they would rather not tell you about. " For users of the app that do not wish for their data to be collected they will be able to opt out of this completely. " Guess this was a lie then.
1609783245593.png

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Hey, look turns out I CAN'T turn off data collection completely. So now I am also forced to let Overwolf harvest my data and they do not list all of the data you are forced to allow to be collected. This list is NOT exclusive as it says they need to store some data "such as" this means there are likely more they would rather not tell you about. " For users of the app that do not wish for their data to be collected they will be able to opt out of this completely. " Guess this was a lie then.
View attachment 38651
If you read this you will notice that it is literally the bare minimum that they need to do in order to make their service functional. You also do not need an Overwolf account to use the FTB App, and you don't need to log in to the FTB App in order to use that. No personal data is being sold to third parties, although it was prior to our involvement with Overwolf.

Voqar

Jan 22, 2021
Love the work you do.

Classic client is all I've ever needed.

I hate Twitch and hated having to deal with it for the few modpacks that weren't available thru classic client.

Things cost money and you have ambitions - people have to realize that amazing work like this doesn't just happen - but I wonder what features you're wanting to add that I would ever care about since there's nothing else I need or want out of modded minecraft that the classic client (one of the greatest achievements in minecraft IMO, simple, straightforward, does its job) already does.

I mean, if something is holding you back from creating/maintaining paks, then sure. But if it's just to add some flake feature most people won't ever use...then meh. If it's to add any social media or streaming hooks then a find me a barf bag.

Voqar

Jan 22, 2021

This is beyond BS. They need ZERO of this info for minecraft or modded minecraft to run. Nobody sane wants unreasonable crap like this on their computer (sure, we already have plenty of it from other apps but we need those apps, nobody needs a mod launcher that does this garbage - none of this has a shred of a tie to minecraft or mods).

I would've thought it impossible to make it worse than it was via Twitch.

alexs01

Jan 23, 2021
This is beyond BS. They need ZERO of this info for minecraft or modded minecraft to run. Nobody sane wants unreasonable crap like this on their computer (sure, we already have plenty of it from other apps but we need those apps, nobody needs a mod launcher that does this garbage - none of this has a shred of a tie to minecraft or mods).

I would've thought it impossible to make it worse than it was via Twitch.
When it says it can view your apps, does it mean your apps installed on the Overwolf launcher or your whole PC? If it is the latter, then that really sucks

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
When it says it can view your apps, does it mean your apps installed on the Overwolf launcher or your whole PC? If it is the latter, then that really sucks
That means they need to know which apps you have installed on Overwolf and which app subscriptions you have on Overwolf. This is basic non personal information that they need to provide their service, both to end users and app developers (Developers need to know how many times their app has been installed for instance).

Reactions: grandrolf

Ki-Tarn

Jul 29, 2019
Small question, how can I install FTB modpacks that are not in the app library? I don't want to install the CurseForge where FTB Regrowth seems to be stuck on. Any plans on adding the older FTB modpacks to the system. For example the DW20 1.10 (mc 1.7.10) is still availible but others are not. Is there a way to add packs to the local FTB app?

Ki-Tarn

Jul 29, 2019
Regrowth is not a FTB pack (the name is just Regrowth, not FTB Regrowth).

Older FTB packs are being migrated over when possible.

Regrowth - Modpacks - Minecraft - CurseForge

Well it is listed as one on https://ftbwiki.org/Regrowth
The first line is :Regrowth is a FTB mod-pack heavily based on AgriCraft and Botania with the pack code "regrowth"' :

Which was why I asked, so is there any way to manually add instances to the FTB launcher or is it required to get the same if rebranded launcher for CurseForge as both are using Overwolf? I installed it first then removed it cause it didn't have the Direwolf 20 pack on it.

But thanks for the clarification as the ftbwiki site listed it as a FTB modpack and I was going back over some of the older modpacks to play again as a few of the mods were never upgraded past 1.7.10 like Mariculture, and I haven't the skill to do it myself to update to 1.10, 1.12 or 1.16. :)

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Well it is listed as one on https://ftbwiki.org/Regrowth
The first line is :Regrowth is a FTB mod-pack heavily based on AgriCraft and Botania with the pack code "regrowth"' :

The wiki is not controlled by FTB
1626021008090.png

No manual way to add instances in the FTB app.

With that said, you should be able to add other packs from Curseforge via the FTB app.

1626022463011.png

Hope that helped :)

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
LINUX support?

Or it will be the same "curse" like this whole Curse and Twitch annoyances before; something that Linux users can't even use?

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
OH! MY BAD! :oops:
I'm very sorry! I didn't look at that page for a long-long time.
I just recently came back playing Minecraft, after skiping a few years, and I using MultiMC which can download an install FTB packs.

I just thought that with this new change, we get a new Twitch/Curse-like cursed thing that has no Linux support.
I just read this post, and dind't saw mentioning Linux.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction! I will give it a try and see how it works.

Reactions: grandrolf

zarendahl

Jul 29, 2019
I've been looking into coming back for a couple of months, and I have a question regarding how Overwolf integrates with the app.

Why not just fully integrate the required portions of Overwolf and provide the privacy options within the app itself? If was answered somewhere, I apologize but I did look around and didn't see it.