FTB - Curse FAQ (Help required)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Do you even know why Notch sold Mojang? It wasn't really about the money. It was more about Mojang turning into the very thing he didn't care for. Big corporate business. But, on a side note I think Microsoft has actually kept Mojang going. I was fully expecting them to stop all of the java development on Minecraft and make it all C code. But they have kept java development going and allow me to play using a Mojang account I purchased ages ago. So I'm not sure in this case what the gripe is about Microsoft.

Microsoft is rewriting Minecraft in C++, they're just doing so using the existing MCPE code base as a starting point. The new "Add-In" coming to all MC versions except Consoles and PC (Java) later this month is probably a first step towards the fabled "API" that Mojang mentioned years ago but have been unable to deliver on yet. The Console code is being developed by yet another company and while the "Add-In" will most likely be shared with them it's unknown when It'll appear.

At some point I can see people making a decision between the C++ version running on Windows 10 and the Java version also running on Windows 10, but that won't likely be until after both versions reach feature parity and modding is happening on both. I'm just happy I got the MCPE license with Windows 10 when it was free because I already had the Java license... The C++ version runs cleaner and faster than Java, but doesn't have mods yet, and I can use either and/or both whenever I choose.

Either way, I don't see Microsoft abandoning the Java version any time soon, if ever, as long as money keeps coming in... That's just paranoid opinion. Look around you in the forums at all the resistance to new launchers, and even the audacity that FtB would abandon version 1.7.10 packs to work on new 1.10.2 packs and you'll see what I mean :D

Don_Quijote

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still playing techworld2 with the old launcher. Until the curse launcher gets a decent installer, I'm unable to use it. Not sure why anybody would install something irrelevant like a game on C drive. The new mc versions sound nice, but in the end they add nothing of interest comapred to modded minecraft, especially if you like the whole tech stuff. Meanwhile from FTB nothing comparable to tech world 2 came along so far. Inventions is nice, but wasn't enough to make me port my world. Also it feels like the modpacks fall further and further behind. We're going on 1.11 now, but the latest modpacks still use 1.7.10(at least that's what I see in the old launcher). I just hope the old launcher won't stop working someday...
Lastly, I don't think it's as bad as some think it is. FTB will live on and the mc modding community is far from dead...

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
You may not be able to control where curse installs. But you can control where it stores and uses the mod packs. Just go into settings and minecraft.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Do you even know why Notch sold Mojang? It wasn't really about the money. It was more about Mojang turning into the very thing he didn't care for. Big corporate business.

Your own response contradicts your assertion. Either that, or else Notch is the biggest dimwit in the world (doubtful)... because what you are claiming is that Notch got sick of Mojang turning "corporate", so he decided to sell it to literally one of the BIGGEST corporations in the entire world??? Yeah, okay... sigh

And I don't intend to get into a back-and-forth, you've said what you wanted to say and I've done likewise... let's just call it a draw and move on with our lives. LOL

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I think the point he was making is that notch had no interest in running mojang if it became a large corporation. Selling it has no bearing on the matter.

Microsoft is the largest corporation but that isn't notch growing mojang as a corporation. That's called getting out while what you love is still fun rather than a job

Reactions: Henry Link

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think the point he was making is that notch had no interest in running mojang if it became a large corporation. Selling it has no bearing on the matter.

Microsoft is the largest corporation but that isn't notch growing mojang as a corporation. That's called getting out while what you love is still fun rather than a job

He (Notch) also stated at the time that he was tired of the social media surrounding MC and what some of the faceless masses were saying about Mojang and himself in particular... He just basically didn't like the spotlight he was in.

Reactions: Pickypicky

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Quite clearly that's the position Notch took - "it doesn't matter who buys it". That's the most unfortunate part in all of this, that he just didn't care about all of us. Notch doesn't like corporate, well I certainly get that part because I hate anything corporate myself... but to then sell us all out to one of the biggest corporate suit outfits? Oh yeah, it really didn't matter at all to Notch who bought it. That part was more than abundantly clear the instant we heard the word "Microsoft" in the press release.

Ah well, you know what, nothing DOES matter. Nothing I say matters, nothing I think matters... it is what it is, stuff happens and you move on in life. Very little of the world is within our control. Notch had a moment of control - who would he allow to adopt "his little baby"? His response to that moment was to tell us all "it doesn't matter, you don't matter, nothing at all matters except that I have 2 bazillion pieces of paper." LOL

Have a great life Notch. So long and thanks for all the fish. :D

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Take a look at this... Admittedly it's for MCPE/Win10, but they mention that it's easier to do this work in C++ code first, then translate once the Java MC internals are cleaned up. The actual changes coming this month are JSON files that describe mob properties... Color, Size, Able to be ridden (or not), etc. but future actual gameplay modifications will be in C#. They are in the process of converting currently internal systems to this new setup, so at some point we may just have a core for each device with mods delivered as C# source code. This keeps with Microsoft's stated educational goals for Minecraft, btw.

https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/mojangs-minecon-2016-videos-up-on-youtube.169673/

mlane16

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently in the process of putting together a comprehensive FAQ with regards to the future of FTB and our partnership deal with Curse. If you have any questions you feel would be appropriate for this FAQ, could you please post them here and I will add as many of them as I can to the page.

Thanks.
  1. How the bloody hell to edit your settings for the minecraft launcher before you hit the "play" or minecraft main screen button and not have them reset every time you launch minecraft?
  2. Also a guide for how to improve performance of minecraft for your cpu or for your modded server as of 1.10 (I also asked this in simple questions).
  3. A introduction to how make mods faq and links to the other major sticked post you have made more new people to the community.
  4. Recursive links to places in the forum community. This might sound silly, but think about page ranking of a curse faq.
  5. Also a credits page for who we can thank for making FTB.
  6. How install mods and allow mods. I know this sounds silly, but this is an FAQ we are talking about. You have to explain things like people are five.
  7. A brief history of FTB section someday when you all have time or maybe a video (♡°▽°♡) (❤ω❤)
  8. What the bloody hell do ram requirements actually mean? Because I know from testing they are definitely not "working memory" or "active memory". (Ok I know this one is not FAQ ish, but it really bothers me.)
  9. Save space to add new questions. A good faq is not something you make in oneshot, but grows as the site grows.
Finally seriously ask a 5 year old - 10 year what to add if you have one available slowpoke. Its kind of like the evil overlord rule.