Forge compatible shared banlist( thread closed because of trolls) sign up for beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbayne

Jul 29, 2019
I have started work on a mod that will sync a servers ban list with a central list, this will allow a player to get a reputation that will follow them to any server. The reputation system will be more fine grained then previous attempts with specific bans being taggable by who ever set the ban and each individual server can set a point amount to that tag. I am just leaving the idea phase and starting the process of putting it together. Please feel free to help hash out idea's, or at least come up with a better name. Once I get it into a organised phase I will make the first commit hopefully in a few days.

sing up for beta testing here
http://project.goldendogdev.net/projects/beastban/issues/new

NHDriver4

Jul 29, 2019
zbayne, sounds like a great idea. Be sure that during your development, that you keep "rogue server ops" into account.

Reactions: winthrowe

zbayne

Jul 29, 2019
pre-alpha builds went out tonight, with a bit of work I hope for beta builds after the new year. I will start taking beta server requests soon.

Reactions: cj5jeep1

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
Haa, don't worry. A lot of thought has gone into this from me and bayne. It will be effective and secure.

jonwilli

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck. Think a few of us have had similar thoughts - hope it works well.
But then there is the reality of Celestialphoenix comments.
Most of the people who would legitimately be on the list would also be the same people submitting names of server owners/mods as well as any random player that they see say 'hi'.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
So in a sense, you're giving server owners a white hot branding iron to poke people they who they deem are cheating.
Can I ask how you intend to enforce this? Without plugins that record ore ratios, allow you to spectate, allow you to log block placement/breaking, how do you intend to follow up on ban appeals? Do you intend to investigate ban appeals? Are you going to host the server which holds this universal banlist? Who else will be. Are they trustworthy? Are the people you're giving this magical mod to trustworthy?

It's like giving a kid a gun and telling them to shoot anyone they think could be suspicious.

What you intend to make is mcbans for FTB. I never much liked the idea of Mcbans. It's far too powerful a system, especially when a ban's given to someone who doesn't deserve it.

shakey2

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see this project come to fruition. Also smart server owners don't give others the keys to ban them from the server, a smart server owner controls what his/her admins have access to.

Reactions: cj5jeep1

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
There is a long validation period before servers can share bans with the rest of the world.
This will be part manual, part automatic.

We are developing a few logging tools built in to the mod, making the publishing of chat logs and chunk movements availible to everyone.

This will be an 'opt-in' system, you will only recieve bans from servers you manually select and trust.
If you were running a Grief/Raid server and only wanted to ban clients who were hacking or cheating, then you may only want to recieve bans from other Grief/Raid servers.

Servers will be given a reliability rating based on the following:
No. Of players they ban a day - consistency
No. Of bans in common with other servers - Reliability
Ratio of bans/kicks/players

There will be an appeal system so that anyone can get unbanned.
This will be a manual process so a moderator will look at all the evidence and decide whether or not the player was guilty. This will be 'benefit of the doubt'.

I hope this gives everyone an idea of what we are trying to do and how we are doing it. We are making progress.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
This will be a manual process so a moderator will look at all the evidence and decide whether or not the player was guilty. This will be 'benefit of the doubt'.
Benefit of the doubt didn't help my friend get unbanned for xraying despite the fact I watched her play and she did it legit.
With little to no governing/logging/protection mods on FTB due to it's reliance on a modded forge server jar and not forgebukkit, how do you intend to get "Evidence."

Reactions: WatcherInTheShadows

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
Benefit of the doubt didn't help my friend get unbanned for xraying despite the fact I watched her play and she did it legit.
With little to no governing/logging/protection mods on FTB due to it's reliance on a modded forge server jar and not forgebukkit, how do you intend to get "Evidence."
Within the mod is a chat logger, command logger and we also log the chunk coordinates of the players. The data is sent every 12 hours to a central server which stores the info in a database for all the public to see.

And if a server is providing unreliable bans, as it's an opt-in system nobody is forced into having the player banned.[DOUBLEPOST=1356874590][/DOUBLEPOST]We collect the evidence ourselves, we don't rely on 3rd party mods or moderators.
That way the system is fair.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Within the mod is a chat logger, command logger and we also log the chunk coordinates of the players. The data is sent every 12 hours to a central server which stores the info in a database for all the public to see.

And if a server is providing unreliable bans, as it's an opt-in system nobody is forced into having the player banned.[DOUBLEPOST=1356874590][/DOUBLEPOST]We collect the evidence ourselves, we don't rely on 3rd party mods or moderators.
That way the system is fair.
So what you're saying is people will only have a bad reputation as a result of a ban if they opt into the mod?

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Let me see if I've got this straight...

The difference between you and McBans is that you're mod based as opposed to plugin based, you can only recieve global bans from servers you trust with this "Opt-in" system. You also store chat, command and chunk logs to your server where "It will be available for the public to see."

Okay, this is what you have basically. It's Batman's Sonar Device from the Dark Knight with a user consent requirement. Say that servers take your mod and install it, not only is it erasing all privacy from people whether they like it or not -- And don't correct me by saying they have a choice, because they don't and I'll tell you why in a sec -- But it's also leaving them open to bans that they quite frankly don't deserve. It's simple to say they've been given the benefit of the doubt but I really don't think, and I wager you don't think it'll last very long once the spectacular number of ban appeals comes in and you're forced to make decisions you REALLY don't want to make.

As for their "choice" in the matter. Assuming I'm correct in saying you only enter this agreement by opting into the mod on your server, then server owners will make it their BUSINESS to make others opt in before they can play. Think I'm over exaggerating? You need to play more servers. It isn't a democracy to them. It's a dictatorship. But then you could argue that you could allow members to willingly opt in to the mod itself without the server middle man so that there's no forced hand. But oh wait -- There is. Assuming the mod itself won't have the option of autokicking those who aren't opted into the mod, they will do it themselves so that they have full control of their players.

I was never comfortable with the McBans system. I'm even less comfortable with this.

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
When you say something in chat, it's there for the whole world to see.
Relevant parts of the chat will be availible to those looking at a banned members profile.

There is no 'privacy breaching', there's just you not being allowed to play on a server because you griefed on another one. That's fair?

If you're worried about people seeing your chat or other info, don't get involved with a server that runs the mod.

Of course like everything the ban will wear off, but not immediately and not if you repeat offenses.
You as a player just have to be good and break the rules.
You as a server owner have to be responsible enough to get your server validated and have your server's bans synced with other servers.[DOUBLEPOST=1356876801][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the difference between us and McBans is that we don't apply 'reputation' to players. You're in or you're out.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Lemme show you someone.
http://www.mcbans.com/player/bluechaos

She's called Jess and she's head admin on my server. The only time she uses anything remotely to an xray is when she's using nodus on my server to moderate with. It's a tool she's asked permission to use and I gave her permission to do so as long as it's the only time she uses nodus for anything, even on other servers.
I watched her play the server she got that ban on and I watched her dig the tunnel she got banned because of. She got very lucky with diamonds. Enough to get the ratio's alert. She got banned because of it. She appealled and it wasn't over turned.

Now because of some cretin and their lousy desicions, I can't use mcbans on my server because A. The rep system automatically flashes us with a warning we can't turn off when she signs in and B. I would have it set to an 8+ rep score which she no longer falls under. So don't condescend me by telling me to be a good player because she already tried being good and it landed not only her with a brand she can't remove but it also put my server at risk.

It's easy to wave the gun around as long as you're not the one at the end of the barrel, isn't it.[DOUBLEPOST=1356877451][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, the difference between us and McBans is that we don't apply 'reputation' to players. You're in or you're out.
Furthermore the opening post of this thread said that you're using a rep based system so I don't know what this is about.

louiskw

Jul 29, 2019
The idea has changed a lot since the initial post.

I'm sorry about your friend, but I have nothing to do with McBans. We will try and succeed where they have failed.

There is no preventing this movement, but if you would like to offer an alternative that may help develop the idea further.

Status
Not open for further replies.