Forge compatible shared banlist( thread closed because of trolls) sign up for beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Funny when "sticking to your guns in the face of hostility" is miscatagorized.as "obsession" huh?
Oh I wasn't making any reference to this debate and was completely off-topic, so I apologise for this. It just seems whenever I see Wabbit's name she is talking about mooning.

On-topic though I agree with you, the system is too open to abuse, no matter how good the intentions are people will find a way to exploit it. And I understand that Louise wants to have a human monitor the bans, but reading through the idea's my two pence is that surely the failing point of the whole idea is around this human monitoring and the size of the system. If the system is too small then it would be completely pointless, as it relies on trusted servers offering their banned lists, and if there aren't enough trusted servers it seems pointless, however the system gets too big and a single person won't be able to monitor this, heck even a whole team would struggle (also what gives them the right to decide, but that's a whole 'nother debate), so this would mean more reliance on the automated system, which will inherently open to abuse - say I've had a bad day at work, say some moron has emailed me about how we could change all our computer systems almost effortlessly -glares at his inbox - and come home, then someone on my MC server does something slightly silly, perhaps cracks a joke that I take the wrong way, I then ban this person for something silly and minor. I could make it look legit and this poor person would have a permanent taint against his name.

TDKPyrostasis

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance a mod can clean up the trolling in this thread so those of us who actually like the mod can discuss it instead of arguing silly semantics with trolls?

WatcherInTheShadows

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance a mod can clean up the trolling in this thread so those of us who actually like the mod can discuss it instead of arguing silly semantics with trolls?

And this inability to digest dissent as anything but meanspirited trolling is exactly why this idea is doomed.[DOUBLEPOST=1358176921][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh I wasn't making any reference to this debate and was completely off-topic, so I apologise for this. It just seems whenever I see Wabbit's name she is talking about mooning.

On-topic though I agree with you, the system is too open to abuse, no matter how good the intentions are people will find a way to exploit it. And I understand that Louise wants to have a human monitor the bans, but reading through the idea's my two pence is that surely the failing point of the whole idea is around this human monitoring and the size of the system. If the system is too small then it would be completely pointless, as it relies on trusted servers offering their banned lists, and if there aren't enough trusted servers it seems pointless, however the system gets too big and a single person won't be able to monitor this, heck even a whole team would struggle (also what gives them the right to decide, but that's a whole 'nother debate), so this would mean more reliance on the automated system, which will inherently open to abuse - say I've had a bad day at work, say some moron has emailed me about how we could change all our computer systems almost effortlessly -glares at his inbox - and come home, then someone on my MC server does something slightly silly, perhaps cracks a joke that I take the wrong way, I then ban this person for something silly and minor. I could make it look legit and this poor person would have a permanent taint against his name.

Oh, I stand corrected.
Please accept my humble apologies.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Also Morv has already said in this very thread that criticism of the mod, is not the same as trolling.

I personally feel that Watcher and Wabbit's anti-mod comments are just as valid as anyone elses, and it's important for people in the future investigating this mod to see both sides of the argument.

TDKPyrostasis

Jul 29, 2019
And this inability to digest dissent as anything but meanspirited trolling is exactly why this idea is doomed.[DOUBLEPOST=1358176921][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh, I stand corrected.

Saying you dont like a plugin is one thing. Spending 6 pages trolling, "mooning people" and other things is not dissent is being an ass and not constructive at all.

WatcherInTheShadows

Jul 29, 2019
Saying you dont like a plugin is one thing. Spending 6 pages trolling, "mooning people" and other things is not dissent is being an ass and not constructive at all.

And more lumping.
At least there's consistancy..[DOUBLEPOST=1358177813][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh, I stand corrected.

I'm not exactly against the mod persay.
Just, as it's presented it's a horrible idea.

zbayne

Jul 29, 2019
Funny when "sticking to your guns in the face of hostility" is miscatagorized.as "obsession" huh?
hostility... you two have been running a message of hate for over a hundred posts. You don't get to call for pity. Granted you less and I would love to dissect your reasons for
Just, as it's presented it's a horrible idea.
and I mean that honestly and not hostile, But I have tried to respond to suggestions that have been made and I can not remember any from you that I could have responded too.

WatcherInTheShadows

Jul 29, 2019
Message of hate you say?
And I am the one asking for pity?
Funny that one who obviously views himself as the victim of hatred would accuse his supposed hater of playing for pity.

And my comments are posted.
Posting them twice serves no good purpose.

But, I will say this, as I said earlier slightly nicer.
Your character defects in that you and those whom you would probably list as "trusTed" cannot take criticism is EXACTLY what I was talking about earlier.
I imagine with a tool under your control I would already have been banned from multiple servers.
And for what?

Oh yes, a message of hate.
You must have lived a extreme sheltered and catered to life if you can think any of what I said is hatred.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
its not that HE says a server is trusted
The admin of each server says what other servers the ban list is imported from

On the Ideas side
It would be helpful to some to nerf the OPs privalages on a server and add a 'admin' class with full rights
That might help a bit with the occasional ban hammer wielding rogue operator
I have also seen on twitch a command the moderators use called /timeout
that could be useful as a step between /kick and /ban

Reactions: zbayne

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize to the OP, but I cannot allow this thread to continue. We even let you guys off the hook with another warning after I said final warning, but there's way too much snipping and sniping in this thread. When the mod is complete, the OP will be welcome to start another thread to advertise it, just like any other mod on these forums. However, this one is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.