Forestry tree farm produces few saplings unless close to it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, so I have a standard Forestry square tree farm setup with an Arboretum, Logger, a Biogas engine powering both of those, and some BuildCraft pipes for sorting and transporting items. When not near the farm, it hardly produces enough saplings to keep it's own Arboretum's supply increasing rather than decreasing. I have a 50/50 split using a Diamond pipe, and whenever I check the chest, there will be very few saplings. Sometimes there's only 5 after 30 minutes.

However if I stand in the farm, it produces them much more quickly. Quickly enough that there's a steady increase, actually.

Now before anyone says this may be a problem with chunks unloading, it wouldn't be. I have a chunk loader and I've verified that the entire farm is within it's bounds. It's really just slower unless I am near it.

Does anybody else have this issue? Is this intended, or is it a bug? And if it is a bug, what's the solution? I'm trying to setup my base so that Saplings become Biomass and that powers pretty much everything. But at the current rate it's looking like I'd need a ton of tree farms just to sustain constant power increase without pauses in the flow.

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
I made a max-size farm on my server (mindcrack v8) to really just test it out, had it running for a while, even when I wasn't in my base. I got loads of saplings - so much so that I had to turn the whole thing off (haven't really bothered with most of the forestry machines yet, squeezer and such so no use for them). So no, I never witnessed the behavior you're describing.

No idea if it's relevant at all, but I used an electrical engine for power and a tesseract for water, and output the produce via a filter and RP2 tubes.

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
I made a max-size farm on my server (mindcrack v8) to really just test it out, had it running for a while, even when I wasn't in my base. I got loads of saplings - so much so that I had to turn the whole thing off (haven't really bothered with most of the forestry machines yet, squeezer and such so no use for them). So no, I never witnessed the behavior you're describing.

No idea if it's relevant at all, but I used an electrical engine for power and a tesseract for water, and output the produce via a filter and RP2 tubes.

It could be that I'm using one of those old style farms that I built in v6. Might be bugged or something. I'll look into these new "max size" farms in Forestry, even though I have no idea what this means thus far.

khorozm

Jul 29, 2019
I was using the old farm and ran into the same problem, ended up cheating myself saplings.
I think it's a bug, switch to the new farms :D

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
I was using the old farm and ran into the same problem, ended up cheating myself saplings.
I think it's a bug, switch to the new farms :D

Well I kind of realized when thinking back to why I didn't have as many energy problems before that before I was running on old Forestry. I think in the new version the legacy farms are bugged or nerfed. Because everyone says there's no problems with new farms but for me there's definitely a problem with the old farm. So it'd certainly be fixed by switching to the new farms. Unfortunately they're just so expensive in Copper now. :(

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Well I kind of realized when thinking back to why I didn't have as many energy problems before that before I was running on old Forestry. I think in the new version the legacy farms are bugged or nerfed. Because everyone says there's no problems with new farms but for me there's definitely a problem with the old farm. So it'd certainly be fixed by switching to the new farms. Unfortunately they're just so expensive in Copper now. :(

Go in your configs. and set your ore gen to true on everything. Mod devs used to hear complaints about how copper was 'too abundant' and thus moved toward recipes requiring more of it (see IC2 Nuclear design now, for example). Unfortnately, the player base decided to 'nerf copper' on their own as well, and thus on default the pack only has one source of it in the game...

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortnately, the player base decided to 'nerf copper' on their own as well, and thus on default the pack only has one source of it in the game...
This one source was chosen deliberately, because it can be configured. Instead of reactivating copper gen from other mods (which would have the negative effect of having different copper ores), just up the spawnrate: <packname>\minecraft\config\cofh\thermalexpansion.cfg section # tweak at the bottom.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
This one source was chosen deliberately, because it can be configured. Instead of reactivating copper gen from other mods (which would have the negative effect of having different copper ores), just up the spawnrate: <packname>\minecraft\config\cofh\thermalexpansion.cfg section # tweak at the bottom.

Upping the spawn rate =/= enabling other ores to spawn... Sure, you may get some of the same results, but different ores actually generate in different locations of the world.

Plus, if you are macerating or pulverizing most of that ore, then the 'different ore block' issue is highly irrelevant. Craft the metal into blocks together (or make a lexicon book if you use Gregtech) if you are that anal about items being the same texture. Or, you can convert the metals into nuggets, and then back into bars. It takes like, what, 10 seconds at a Project Table to do? Not hard at all unless you are that lazy to be bothered by it...