Forestry - Farm and Combine - Auto farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Peat is a fuel source added by forestry:
http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki/index.php?n=Category.PeatProduction

You can make bog earth in a carpenter and put it near water (1 block any direction) and it will mature into peat you can harvest by hand. A peat farm automates this for you.

If this is your first time playing forestry it can be a little overwhelming, but the peat and wheat farm will compliment each other if you convert some of your wheat into mulch using the moistener. You can use a macerator/pulverizer to convert coble to sand to fully automate the peat production.

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
how long does it take for bog earth to spread?[DOUBLEPOST=1356556781][/DOUBLEPOST]And how do you make mulch?

Danfoss

Jul 29, 2019
Inserting stuff into forestry machines with buildcraft pipes is abit wonky. Your current power generation is NOT related to the problem that seeds are not going into the farm!

Your setup should work (except for the wheat in the top loop, you don't need it there). What i usually do until i manage everything from central storage is i put a pipe from the combine to the top of farm and continue the pipe to one or even 2 sides of the farm and from there continue to a chest.
That way all wheat and seeds coming out of the combine passes the top and atleast one side of the farm. The farm only accepts seeds and about 2 thirds of the seeds will enter (that is buildcraft piping being wonky) and the rest of the seeds and all wheat will continue to the chest. Eventually this will keep your farm full with 4 stacks of seeds while all overflow ends up in a chest.

When you got that sorted you can work on improving your power setup ;).

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
He's trying to run a wheat farm, not NASA. Put some peat engines on that farm and be done with it ;p
He told me he didn't have enough power for 2 electrical engines. I showed him how.

By the way, have fun constantly refilling your peat engines and managing a peat farm. Good fun, I'm sure.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
It does not spread. You take 4 dirt and 4 sand + water bucket/can/cell or mulch in a carpenter and you get 8 bog earth.

You place that bog earth in a circle on the ground and put water in the center and when it darkens it has converted to peat. You break the peat block and get 1 dirt and 1 peat 'log' you can burn in most machines that accept solid fuels. It converts from bog earth to peat pretty quick, one full peat farm (128 bog earth blocks) can supply enough solid fuel for 10 peat engines. That averages out to 1 peat every 2.5 seconds.

Danfoss

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, have fun constantly refilling your peat engines and managing a peat farm. Good fun, I'm sure.
Refilling peat engines with railcraft unloaders is alot of fun (and not to mention cheap to setup in early stages of the game) I can watch that cart zipping along transporting peat to all the forestry farms all day :)

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Inserting stuff into forestry machines with buildcraft pipes is abit wonky. Your current power generation is NOT related to the problem that seeds are not going into the farm!

Your setup should work (except for the wheat in the top loop, you don't need it there). What i usually do until i manage everything from central storage is i put a pipe from the combine to the top of farm and continue the pipe to one or even 2 sides of the farm and from there continue to a chest.
That way all wheat and seeds coming out of the combine passes the top and atleast one side of the farm. The farm only accepts seeds and about 2 thirds of the seeds will enter (that is buildcraft piping being wonky) and the rest of the seeds and all wheat will continue to the chest. Eventually this will keep your farm full with 4 stacks of seeds while all overflow ends up in a chest.

When you got that sorted you can work on improving your power setup ;).

That is buildcraft pipes doing what they are designed to do.

If you have an intersection using non diamond pipe items will take any open route with an equal chance of going each direction. So if you run a pipe over the top of the machine and continue past it will have 2 paths it can go when it passes over the machine. 50% to continue on and 50% to go in the machine. If the machine is full it will eliminate that path as an option and continue on the only remaining path 100%.

If you replace the normal pipe with a diamond pipe and add seed to the part that connects to the machine then when seeds come to the intersection they will 100% go into the machine until it is full, and then they will take any open path with an equal chance if there are multiple open paths. Any other items in the system passing this intersection would just take the open path.

You can use this to keep rows of engines/generators fueled either by passing enough fuel past them that the 50/50 chances keep them topped off or use a diamond pipe to make sure they are all fueled first and only left over fuel reaches the end of the system. No need to worry about keeping any solid fuel burning engine/generator fueled.

Reactions: heavy1metal

Danfoss

Jul 29, 2019
Aah. It was my understanding all buildcraft pipes got the old advanced insertion pipe capability. So only the diamond pipe got it. That makes sense ;).

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Refilling peat engines with railcraft unloaders is alot of fun (and not to mention cheap to setup in early stages of the game) I can watch that cart zipping along transporting peat to all the forestry farms all day :)

This is where we've arrived. Where it's "easier" to automate resource exploitation from the nether with carts and portals (to lolslam 60EU/t to a BC powered wheat farm that wants a couple of MJ/t) then it is to automate peat. Good grief.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
You can do that with lava tank carts and power more than just a farm.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
this may sound silly but..... what is mystcraft and how do you get portals?
WARNING: Age-surfing without a Linking Book back to your Overworld Base may render you lost amongst the ages without a means of going back home.

Before attempting to play with Mystcraft Portals, it is ESSENTIAL to make sure you make a Linking Book (put a book in your crafting square) while you are in your main base (the location matters) and KEEP IT ON YOUR PERSON. Failure to do so can render you lost amongst the ages, never to see the overworld again.

A Linking Book will port you to where you were when you made it. It won't follow you, however. So bring a couple of them, put one in a bookstand right where you spawned in to your new age, and carry one around... just in case.

Also, you can make bog earth with water capsules. Capsules are made with beeswax. For that, you need some basic no-frills bees of the appropriate biome type. They will produce a comb that you can put in a centrifuge to make beeswax and honey.

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
So, I need to: set up a peat farm, get more coal/diamonds, surf through Ages, and transport lava from a different dimension.
Some questions: how do you make mulch, can't I just power everything with charcoal, is there a cheaper version of a diamond pipe, and what do I do if the pipes don't work with my farm/combine. Also, could I have a look at some people's worlds?
Happy holidays!

EDIT: and shall I spawn in the Notepad thing, for Mystcraft? oh, and here's my world download: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BysmnSXV16PWWElZVDJYRHFEQ1k

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need to do anything mystraft/age related. And I would suggest getting the basic stuff done before you move on to the more advanced / expensive machines. Peat and wheat farms are the most basic farms Forestry has and they are also rather cheap (don't require diamonds). A single peat farm can easily power 10 peat engines. Since the peat farm needs 2 engines itself, you can use the other 8 to power your other farms. Peat-fired engines are ideal in the start because they provide the exact amount of power a single machine (farm, combine, etc.) needs (1MJ/tick) and last a LONG time on a full stack of peat (over 4 hours).

When I start a new base I start with getting my fuel production up and running. I start with a peat bog to power the peat engines I need. I then create a farm to make the wheat I need for making compost (and also for mulch which makes it easy to auto-produce bog earth, it gets tedious to do by hand). Third I create a treefarm (arboretum / logger) for wood (nice building material and can be turned into charcoal). The logger requires you to have alteast 5 diamonds though.

This will give you a basic renewable source of energy that can power both Buildcraft and IC2 engines / generators.

After that it's nice to start Biomass production so you can easily run a Quarry and later on move towards Steam Boilers since these provide a LOT of power.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
how do you make mulch and compost?

Mulch is created from wheat in a moistener. Those need a rather dark environment to function well. Compost can be made from Wheat and Dirt. Just check your NEI recipies and search for compost. Should be pretty obvious.

While i don't do solar power anymore, this is the easiest setup I've come across:
http://i49.tinypic.com/m0pdx.png - The components and its positioning. Engine runs forever and will never go into forced cooldown.
http://i47.tinypic.com/29yjww7.png - Diamond pipe as insertion pipe.
Farms require very little power so one electrical engine is plenty.
( done in creative mode as should be obvious )

Those advanced solars are completely rediculous in the amount of power they produce in my opinion. I stay clear of them and hope there will be a big rebalancing when it comes to 'free' energy.

SerTrollface

Jul 29, 2019
Those advanced solars are completely rediculous in the amount of power they produce in my opinion. I stay clear of them and hope there will be a big rebalancing when it comes to 'free' energy.
They are expensive, don't look only at the output.
Also, the diamond armor, to speak about vanilla, gives a lot of protection. But it costs 24 diamonds.

Hoaz

Jul 29, 2019
an easy fix: YOU CAN*T CONNECT THE COPPER CABLES TO THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE MUST BE ON THE BACK!. THere you go. Fixed!

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
an easy fix: YOU CAN*T CONNECT THE COPPER CABLES TO THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE MUST BE ON THE BACK!. THere you go. Fixed!
It is. anyway, everything works, its just some pipes don't put stuff in the right place....