Fire Emblem: Path of Wolfyness (Game Thread)

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
"Paranoid as all fuck at the best of times"

Basically my WW experience :p

May sig that actually :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Ok folks, POP QUIZ.

Would you have fallen for this?

Note there are two images.

SO37 played this really well: he instantly said he was suspicious AND send me a private PM indicating he didn't trust Vike.
I think this is a bit too mean tbh ^^
Maybe we should make a rule to prevent inviting new people to conversations after creation, or to limit the number of participants to two. Because I think "trust networks" like this, legit or not, can be a bit unfair.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Maybe we should make a rule to prevent inviting new people to conversations after creation, or to limit the number of participants to two. Because I think "trust networks" like this, legit or not, can be a bit unfair.
I feel like you can say that about any number of strategies. This one required a major confluence of events. Notably we needed two provable roles that could actually be proven "quietly" (no public info such as "Pyure has been silenced by a Marksman"), and also we majorly lucked out because a) we didn't target a whisper, and b) no whisper revealed us before hand.

Rather than any kinda blanket "no being clever" rules, there's a smarter way to tackle that: GMs should consider carefully which powers should cause public announcements. This whole con fails if even a vague "A member of the town was silenced by a marksman!" message was produced.

Reactions: Shazam08

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
By "trust networks", do you mean a convo of three or more supposedly innocent players?

If so, I don't see much of a problem with it. If Pyure and Vike were legitimately a Reaver and Marksman, respectively, they would never invite another player to that convo unless a) they had 100% verified each other and b) they had 100% verified the newcomer. Trust networks are so risky, giving any added player access to all the information contained, that most networks just avoid them entirely and keep their convos one-on-one. Pyure said he'd waited eight games to even attempt this one.

All that being said, rules are made on a game-by-game basis. If you (or any other GM) want to run with this rule, go for it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
By "trust networks", do you mean a convo of three or more supposedly innocent players?

If so, I don't see much of a problem with it. If Pyure and Vike were legitimately a Reaver and Marksman, respectively, they would never invite another player to that convo unless a) they had 100% verified each other and b) they had 100% verified the newcomer. Trust networks are so risky, giving any added player access to all the information contained, that most networks just avoid them entirely and keep their convos one-on-one.
Yeah I forgot about that. The way we added SO37 was actually kinda rushed and implausible: as villagers we didn't have super-strong reason to invite him in.

Also: we didn't really accomplish much, it was just something fun we wanted to do :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
For posterity, here's the PM I sent Pyure after reading the con convo:
Ok, so, I know you probably can't respond to what I'm saying right now, but by now you've probably noticed that Vike added me to his convo with you, in which he claims Marksman. (There's no spying roles in this game, right?) I'm not certain that I can believe his claim, as I too am a Marksman. I have yet to use my power for a couple of reasons (namely, it deprives me of information (i.e. what the silenced person would say) and being silenced would just suck), but I do have it.

By my count, there are 19 players in this game, but only 16 roles, which means there are three duplicates. It's entirely possible, then, that Marksman could be one of the duplicate roles. Which, now that I think about it, isn't really all that unlikely. I doubt that any of the wolf or neutral roles are duplicated, or any of the more powerful village roles (Whisper, Marshall, or Sentinel; maybe Vanguard, Trueblade, or Archsage); which leaves Reaver, Marksman, and Vanillager as the least powerful village roles by my reckoning, and therefore the most likely to be duplicated. So maybe Vike is telling the truth.

Anyhow, I gotta ask: If you were silenced today rather than possessed, as I suspected before reading Vike's convo, why the vote on Pizzawolf? Surely you knew that he already had a vote on him, and that your vote plus mine would probably get him lynched.

TL;DR:
- I, Someone Else 37, am a Marksman, which makes me suspicious of the truth of Vike's claim (so what do you think of that?);
- There's still a chance that we're both Marksmen, though, so he might not be lying;
- Why'd you vote Pizzawolf?
And Pyure's response:
1) You have it backwards a bit: Vike's role is more proven to you than mine is (since he can't very well silence peeps as a wolf)
2) Right
3) Quasi-random best guess, and in all caps with a period so that everyone knew it was all I was contributing that day. I almost never antismite because it benefits wolves.

---
Holy cow, guys. I never would've guessed you were both wolves.