Ferm.+Still VS Bio Reactor

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Which setup is more effective? In the end, I would like to run a couple of Liquid Steam Boilers off of Biofuel. Bio Reactors seem easy to setup, so I'm leaning towards them. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, fermenter and stills are actually fairly simple tbh, This goes here, this goes there, add some mulch. They eat up a lot of energy though.

The reactor has laughable efficiency on low diversity, and automating with high diversity in mind is actually quite challenging. It works without energy though.

Your call.

It's great as an overflow dump for extra sapplings.

Oh also, forget stills if you decide to do a fermenter, get a distilation tower, it does 2:1 bio to fuel.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Well, fermenter and stills are actually fairly simple tbh, This goes here, this goes there, add some mulch. They eat up a lot of energy though.

The reactor has laughable efficiency on low diversity, and automating with high diversity in mind is actually quite challenging. It works without energy though.

Your call.

It's great as an overflow dump for extra sapplings.

Oh also, forget stills if you decide to do a fermenter, get a distilation tower, it does 2:1 bio to fuel.
I'm on the DW20 pack, so Distillation towers are not an option. I guess I'll just go with the Fermenter and still setup. If Bio Reactors were more efficient, I wouldn't need to make another Railcraft tank, but whatever.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on the DW20 pack, so Distillation towers are not an option. I guess I'll just go with the Fermenter and still setup. If Bio Reactors were more efficient, I wouldn't need to make another Railcraft tank, but whatever.
Oh they are quite efficient, so efficient that liquiducts can't pump all the fuel they can make out.

The problem is keeping 'em stocked with 9 types of fermentables.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Oh they are quite efficient, so efficient that liquiducts can't pump all the fuel they can make out.

The problem is keeping 'em stocked with 9 types of fermentables.
How many fermentables do you think I would need to be on par with a Fermenter and Still setup? I have many farms, so supply is not an issue.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on what you mean by 'effective'.

Currently, I believe the Still+Ferm produces more BioFuel per sapling than a Bio Reactor, but a Bio Reactor will produce BioFuel massively faster than a Ferm+Still. It also doesn't require any energy to operate.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest the bio-recator as a sort of overflow/side to the normal fermentor/still setup.

It is nice the little I've toyed with it (as it is not in the build I normaly play with) but you honestly dont need to get it to 9 items to be useful becuase of its output limits. When it does get into my normal play build I will totaly have a normal fermenter setup and send my extra and unwant bio products to the bioreactor. Better to get free biofuel then have they rot away in a barrel

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Against saplings the bio reactor will never be more efficient per item than fermentor+still.
It is about 4 saplings to a bucket of biolfuel. 1 saping = ~250 mb biofuel

Running 4 types in a bio reactor gets less than half that. So per item vs a sapling you lose.

Against any other material bioreactor wins easily. In most forestry configs everything other than saplings ferments for ~100-150 biomass = 45 mb biofuel. Any single item in a reactor converts to 80 mb biofuel. Every item type you add increases the yield per item by 10, so you can go from 80 - 160 mb of biofuel per item.

Add to it that you can run items much easier to make in bulk than saplings and no energy/water needed and I think the reactor is worth inventory supply challenge.

Easy vanilla farmables for bio reactor:
wheat seeds
pumpkin seeds
melon seeds
carrots
potatoes

600 mb biofuel a cycle. You can get all the way up to 9 items without saplings and have a pretty productive system.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry is seriously nerfing all their machines to strongly favor the outputs of the new farms in a effort to persuade people to use them. Which as a result the out puts for using normal seeds/saplings in the the squeezer and fermenter is being greatly reduced. Grant it you may be able to use alternatives still but they will be harder to use.

Edit:
Wait... Bio Reactor? Where is this one from?

The bio reactor is from minefactory reloaded 2.3 which is not currently part of any FTB pack but will be in the next version most likely of ultimate. It converts plant matter into bio fuel directly at horrible efficiency, but as you feed it a wider array of different plant matter the efficiency increases greatly to insane levels.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.4.7, I'm not sure I'd bother with the bioreactor. If you stick with mostly tree saplings for even half of the nine inputs you're going to end up with a ton of wood that you can (and probably should) be using in a boiler instead.

In 1.5 though, Sengir has, for his own reasons, nerfed the fermenter (250mB against current 800mB) for basic vanilla and other non-specially bred trees. Since the bioreactor is balanced against the 1.4.7 fermenter this makes it comparatively more valuable in 1.5 if your production is tree based. Particularly if you consider the Forestry farms speed and size footprint, which is the only farm capable of managing the specially bred trees that will produce even 750mB or 1000mB per sapling. (Note that as of this time, biomass production based off sugar cane or other non-sapling related items is unchanged)

Another thing to consider, and mixes up any math, is power to produce. The still is 10:4 biomass:biofuel production at 6MJ/t, the GregTech distillation tower is 2:1 at 32EU/t (and is very, very fast for biofuel). The latter costs a rather significant amount of Chrome to produce, but that's still a math-changing situation. Note though that you have to load the distillation tower with cells, and receive cells back out, not pump liquids directly in.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for your suggestions! I so far am only using vanilla saplings and crops, so I might use the Bio Reactor. It is something new that I want to play around with. If things don't work out, I'll switch over to the Fermenters. Thank you for your help!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for your suggestions! I so far am only using vanilla saplings and crops, so I might use the Bio Reactor. It is something new that I want to play around with. If things don't work out, I'll switch over to the Fermenters. Thank you for your help!

Becuase of the output limits you might want more then one bio reactor.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Becuase of the output limits you might want more then one bio reactor.

I don't think you need more than one reactor. Looks like it is about 3 times faster than 5 stills.

Here is a 600k mj race between a bio reactor and 5 stills I setup.

yo8fGg0.png

hw9pvca.png

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you need more than one reactor. Looks like it is about 3 times faster than 5 stills.

Here is a 600k mj race between a bio reactor and 5 stills I setup.

yo8fGg0.png

hw9pvca.png

That is just embarrassing for stills.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
That is just embarrassing for stills.

And the final winner.

Reactor 225 buckets. Consumed 9*156 = 1404 materials.

Stills 68 buckets. Consumed 46*5 = 230 biomass bucks = ~273 sapling or ~1600 sugar cane.

Reactor is 3.3 times faster than 5 stills, so 1 reactor = 16.5 stills. If i recall correctly. Each still can support 1.1 36 tank HP boilers, so one reactor can support 18 HP 36 tank boilers.

neck and neck:
e47MADH.png

Ding, ding, ding, energy cell done:
p7P8XAZ.png

~225 buckets by my count:
zOdSGoi.png

~68 for the stills:
yYRLgdd.png

46 biomass cans missing:
n3qKO7A.png

Reloaded 1 stack of each mid cycle, so 156 of each material used:
e4iyJqb.png

Reactions: MilConDoin

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
And the final winner.

Stills 68 buckets. Consumed 46*5 = 230 biomass bucks = ~273 sapling or ~1600 sugar cane.

Reactor is 3.3 times faster than 5 stills, so 1 reactor = 16.5 stills. If i recall correctly. Each still can support 1.1 36 tank HP boilers, so one reactor can support 18 HP 36 tank boilers.

neck and neck:
e47MADH.png

Ding, ding, ding, energy cell done:
p7P8XAZ.png

~225 buckets by my count:
zOdSGoi.png

~68 for the stills:
yYRLgdd.png

46 biomass cans missing:
n3qKO7A.png

Reloaded 1 stack of each mid cycle, so 156 of each material used:
e4iyJqb.png
These are some pretty helpful statistics! Thanks alot!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
And the final winner.

Thanks for the data set. I've only seen the debate over the fact the bio reacator can not max up multiple liquidcuts so did not know its limit only that it had one.

Good to know it seems to kick a lot of butt.