Feed The Beast - Redpower and 1.5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowise

Jul 29, 2019
I have a suggestion if you're having problems getting an update for Eloraam's RedPower 2 mod: If the development team is in contact with her, ask her to hand off the source code to team member who would be willing to update it for her and thus remove some of the work load burden.

I believe she's previously stated she doesn't want anyone else working on it, and doesn't want to open-source it either. I haven't got a source, but I think that's the common story.

Ultimately, it's her project and it's up to her to continue it at her own pace, which is fair. If you had built an amazing car from scratch, but were too busy to finish it right away, would you want someone else to finish it for you?

I understand that her delays are stopping some mod packs being updated past 1.4.7, but it's unlikely that the worlds created with those packs will be compatible with 1.6.

Reactions: Nerixel

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
I believe she's previously stated she doesn't want anyone else working on it, and doesn't want to open-source it either. I haven't got a source, but I think that's the common story.

Ultimately, it's her project and it's up to her to continue it at her own pace, which is fair. If you had built an amazing car from scratch, but were too busy to finish it right away, would you want someone else to finish it for you?

I understand that her delays are stopping some mod packs being updated past 1.4.7, but it's unlikely that the worlds created with those packs will be compatible with 1.6.

I would want someone to help out if I see a big future for my product and yet am so burdened with Real Life Situations that I can't work on the project like I used to. Parts of worlds created can be ported to new 1.6.X worlds using MCEdit (if it's capable of working with FTB).

I know it's her baby, but only time will tell if RedPower gets abandoned because of the update wait.

Shadowise

Jul 29, 2019
It could be that that she's just waiting for 1.6 like Soaryn with Xycraft. Unfortunately, she's not great at communicating her current situation with the community.

As for a big future, there are many mods which now replicate large portions of RedPowers 2' functionality. Of course, there isn't ONE mod that does all the awesome stuff that RP2 does, but many of those gaps have been filled by mods that you would have in the pack any way. RedLogic, Applied Energistics, etc etc.

As more time progresses, the need for RP2 declines. Unless she breaks out something awesome like RedPower 3, I think a lot of people will avoid the mod, for fear of being caught in update limbo like they are now.

Reactions: Flipz

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
It could be that that she's just waiting for 1.6 like Soaryn with Xycraft. Unfortunately, she's not great at communicating her current situation with the community.

As for a big future, there are many mods which now replicate large portions of RedPowers 2' functionality. Of course, there isn't ONE mod that does all the awesome stuff that RP2 does, but many of those gaps have been filled by mods that you would have in the pack any way. RedLogic, Applied Energistics, etc etc.

As more time progresses, the need for RP2 declines. Unless she breaks out something awesome like RedPower 3, I think a lot of people will avoid the mod, for fear of being caught in update limbo like they are now.

So true and I would hate to see this mod die because it got forgotten in updates.

Shadowise

Jul 29, 2019
What would be nice, in a perfect world, is if she split the world-gen part of the mod out into a separate module. That way, we could create worlds with volcanoes, sapphires, marble, etc, then add the other modules once they'r ready without having to regenerate worlds.

But... we don't live in a perfect world... :p

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I have a suggestion if you're having problems getting an update for Eloraam's RedPower 2 mod: If the development team is in contact with her, ask her to hand off the source code to team member who would be willing to update it for her and thus remove some of the work load burden.
What "team" is this that you're referring to? Eloraam has collaborated with a few other modders in making Forge, but RedPower is an entirely separate personal project, and it's entirely possible that the other Forge developers wouldn't have the time or the inclination to update it. Eloraam IS working on it, progress is slow, it will turn up eventually even if it's late to the 1.6 party. If the differences between 1.5 and 1.6 are small, then it might even come out at around the same time as the other mods for 1.6 come out. 1.5 was always a stop-gap version anyway, everyone that was paying attention knew that.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I thought the rule was, odd numbers are big changes, even numbers follow on shortly after and don't introduce big changes. Oh well.

Not an official rule, but that's usually for front-end features anyway. The actual code tends to change quite a lot every update.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I thought the rule was, odd numbers are big changes, even numbers follow on shortly after and don't introduce big changes. Oh well.

You are sort of right. But rather than a rule it's more a humans natural pacing. Work hard for a while thin slow a bit to take a breather. But as all this is leading up to the Plugin API they are just going to keep going until they get it done.

Shyhalu

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough; then quit whining about it. We get it.

Except I did "quit whining", I haven't said anything on the subject except 1-2 posts, which you addressed, which gives me the right to address what you posted.

Do you have a problem understanding how basic conversations work?

OMG! Someone disagrees with me, so I'll call them a fanboi! Well, here's clue: I'm not even using Red Power. I found replacements. I went "dang, I liked red power. Oh well." If you look through various posts, you'll even find several of my posts - one of which says "anyone seen a decent replacement for tubes - I liked pneumatic tubes".

No, its more like "someone disagrees with me using irrational and illogical arguments that hold no foundation". Don't want to be a fanboi? Don't act like one. I mean shit, you just told me I can have an opinion and can't have one at the same time.

When you demonstrate you can have a rational discussion/argument, you can have one. Until then you are just defending someone's selfish actions (All the while telling me to grow up, how ironic) that will have an impact of varying sizes to a LOT of people, all the while holding up a major and popular project to the point where the people handling that project are going to drop her from it.

No, she's not the one here whining. If she was here whining about how someone is whining about her project, then I'd tell her to grow up.

See Above. The adult thing to do is hand it off to someone else or enlist help, the childish thing to do is screw over a lot of people (Many who I'm sure have donated). That is the very epitomy of childishness.

Who's being held back, except some dumbass that keeps whining on these boards? Most of us have found replacement mods; there's even a post somewhere in this thread (I believe it was) where someone said 'here's all the mods I used to replace everything in Redpower."

And why does she have to find help? It's her project - if you don't like it; don't use it.

And thus, why I call you a fanboi. you have no idea as to what is going on or who is involved, or even understand who the person you are defending is actually doing. You don't understand how communities work and how she can potentially screw over a lot of people, yet you go right ahead to aggressively defend her anyway.

She doesn't need to do anything. But if she does not do anything, she can expect the criticism from the people who she is directly and indirectly causing stress to.

Plain and simple.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Just because people come to depend on a volunteer doesn't mean that said volunteer is now obligated to continue helping. If something completely falls apart because of the lack of said volunteer it means that the ones depending on the volunteer made a bad decision.

That's why the term "volunteer" exists. It means that the person ISN'T obligated to keep doing whatever they're volunteering for. They're doing it because they want to, not because they have to. And things later on may cause said volunteer to not continue volunteering

In fact, Redpower shows WHY you don't depend on volunteers. Once something causes the volunteer to stop (and it will eventually in 99.99% of the cases) you're out of luck if you don't have an alternative. And this will eventually happen to most of the other mods being used, regardless of how popular they are.

Would it be nice if the creator of RP simply said "I'm done, here's the code"? Yes. But it's her code, not ours, and she isn't required to do so. In fact it's allowable, even if people wouldn't like it, for her to say "I'm tired of this, I'm quitting and no one can use this in a public pack anymore." Which is one reason not to make the code open source. Once you do that you loose all control over whatever you created.

Blackmoore

Jul 29, 2019
Funny we arent seeing the same discussion over IC2, or even EE3. and those projects ARE open for others to join and help with updating the code.. but look at how many people have. IC2 has a very limited number of people, and EE3 seems to get nothing but complaints from people who don't program.

Reactions: Neithan

poshu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Eloraam being the only person that understood what I like when playing minecraft, I hope she'll continue, otherwise... meh, it's her mod and I can totally understand why she would stop.

Better be safe than sorry, I saw that redlogic and redstone in motion were quite good replacement for some of the redpower functionality, but is there a mod that cover the machine (transposer, block breaker, deployer...) part of redpower?

Reactions: Kondrik

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
MFR has a Block breaker, and there's a Thaumcraft add-on that adds one as well. Thaumic Tinkerer I think. It looks aswesome as well, it's an animated pickaxe rather than a blocky machine.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Eloraam being the only person that understood what I like when playing minecraft, I hope she'll continue, otherwise... meh, it's her mod and I can totally understand why she would stop.

Better be safe than sorry, I saw that redlogic and redstone in motion were quite good replacement for some of the redpower functionality, but is there a mod that cover the machine (transposer, block breaker, deployer...) part of redpower?

Calclavia Moulder Forcefield mod.
Moves items. Breaks blocks. And sucks them up.
A little tricky to set up by my experience but very nice.
There's also several frame mods and AE has block breakers.
Check the suggest a mod thread's last few pages. They should mostly be listed there.

Reactions: Neithan

herbycanopy

Jul 29, 2019
It would be great to see a little bit of work on getting 152 packs out....the private public FTB Ultimate BETA 152 has been on 0.8 of around a month now....maybe they are not doing a 15x and just waiting for the 16x? This whole post turned in to All about RP2...lets talk about mod packs for FTB...

After one hell of an unpleasant experience with a Kotor 2 mod, I'm finally feeling miffed enough to dare posting in this section.

I have absolutely no gripe with Eloraam's inability to continue working on Redpower 2. I don't care that she hasn't fixed several glaring issues with Redpower, one such being a particularly nasty duplication bug that's proven catastrophic to server admins whom weren't intelligent enough to patch it out. What gets under my skin, what aggravates me the most, is her illogical, reclusive approach to the situation.

What is so dammed difficult about following this example, precisely: "I'm too busy with my full time job to continue working on Redpower 2 and, I need help from the community. Would anyone like to help me port Redpower 2?"

The fact that such a comment would take little more than thirty seconds to compose and, even less time to receive an answer further infuriates me. How coincided do you have to be to willingly derail several rather large sub-communities?

If you no longer can, nor want to continue development, pass the reigns to someone else. Redpower has the potential to grow as a mod, in the right hands with a small group of developers all pooling their collective free time it could grow rather quickly.

I agree 100% but you forget that the same small group could just start their own version of RP2...look at Redpower Logic...they have the logic, wiring and lighting working.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I agree 100% but you forget that the same small group could just start their own version of RP2...look at Redpower Logic...they have the logic, wiring and lighting working.

You mean a complete copy? A psudo redpower 3? Nope can't. Against the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.