Feed The Beast - Redpower and 1.5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Difficult to say. I'm not familiar with all the stuff that is supposed to be replacing RP2.

Lets take an example.

I have a system where I throw some stuff into an Enderpouch, set my Wireless Remote (WRCBE will be Redpower-independent in the next version, so no problem there) to one of three frequencies: "Furnace", "Macerate" and "Recycle", and I might want to add more functions. When I hit the remote's button, the contents of the Enderchest get pulled out and routed to the relevant machines - I have two furnaces and two macerators that the stacks are distributed between, and one recycler. The results are pulled out and back into another Enderchest of the same colour, so I just see the processed results start reappear in my pouch within about 15 seconds. I can macerate cobblestone into sand and then furnace the sand to get glass, or I can furnace cobblestone to get smooth stone. Those are the two most common uses, but I've macerated coal and bonemeal, furnaced wood, and a few other things. An optional feature, which I have, is to restrict the processing to only pull the items that match whatever is in Slot 1 of the Enderchest, so if I have sand and glass mixed in together because both are being processed in parallel then I can ensure that only the sand gets furnaced. That's a really hard feature to implement and so I won't insist on it.

What mod or combination of mods can replace RedPower for that? I know of two very different ways of doing it with RedPower. I'm not sure if the Slot 1 filtering is possible with one of the methods, but it might be.

Applied energetics and minefactory reloaded. If your clever enough about it.
Just set up a processing network separate from your storage network.
Start with a ME interface connected to your enderchest.
Connected to ME exporters set to be activated by redstone imput.
Controlled by MFR rednet toggles leading from your wireless receivers.
The redstone controllable ME exporters connected to a chest above a hopper that inputs to each machine.
And have a ME importer lead from the machine to a ME exporter leading back to the chest.
Aside from the processing time of each machine this system is actually faster than redpower. Almost Instant.
You could pull over multiple stacks from the chest a tick. If you were really determined. You could empty the whole chest out in one tick. And process the items in the next and have it dump back into the chest in the third.
It would require something of a monster system with multiple fully upgraded machines and extra enderchests of the specified color to input output from but you could do it.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
After one hell of an unpleasant experience with a Kotor 2 mod, I'm finally feeling miffed enough to dare posting in this section.

I have absolutely no gripe with Eloraam's inability to continue working on Redpower 2. I don't care that she hasn't fixed several glaring issues with Redpower, one such being a particularly nasty duplication bug that's proven catastrophic to server admins whom weren't intelligent enough to patch it out. What gets under my skin, what aggravates me the most, is her illogical, reclusive approach to the situation.

What is so dammed difficult about following this example, precisely: "I'm too busy with my full time job to continue working on Redpower 2 and, I need help from the community. Would anyone like to help me port Redpower 2?"

The fact that such a comment would take little more than thirty seconds to compose and, even less time to receive an answer further infuriates me. How coincided do you have to be to willingly derail several rather large sub-communities?

If you no longer can, nor want to continue development, pass the reigns to someone else. Redpower has the potential to grow as a mod, in the right hands with a small group of developers all pooling their collective free time it could grow rather quickly.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Using similar logic, I can state that I'm going to design a highly improved version of Minecraft, re coded from the ground up and, optimized to properly take advantage of modern hardware. For all you are aware, I may posses the ability, though severely lack the free time required to invest in such a project. You can say just about anything on the internet, however true, or untrue.

So she has and, so she might. The rate of which she updates is adorably sluggish and, well, while I don't blame her it changes nothing. I find her attitude regarding the situation pompous. We're not talking about a back end community project here used by hundreds, we're referencing a mod relied upon by thousands. Quite frankly I don't care if the code belongs to Jesus Christ, if your update cycle is once in a blue moon and you're turning away the help of others I'm going to take issue with you. It'd be a different story entirely if she had something to lose.

I understand why Microsoft is reluctant to share their source code, they're a multi-billion dollar company, I can apply logic there. I fail to understand why a freelance coder earning zero income behaves in much the same way. It being her choice doesn't stop it from being a bad choice. I'm also struggling to figure out why so many people consistently support destructive decisions that negatively effect them.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to spend any more time arguing about this, though I will address some of your points.
You can say that, and I wouldn't believe you until I saw proof. However, if Eloraam said that exact same thing, I would be much more inclined to trust her. It's a matter of character, and how I have known people to act in the past. Eloraam, while sometimes updating late, has never lied about anything, to my knowledge.
Mojang isn't really reluctant to share their source code, though I imagine they'd be reluctant to handing over a project they've invested so much time into to someone else. Even though Eloraam doesn't get money from it, she gets pride from her work, and it is her work, and she should feel proud. I can understand her not wanting to hand it over when she's spent so much time on it.
You're still failing to understand the key point here, which is that it is her choice, and nothing you or I say on a forum is likely going to change that. She has the right to update "once in a blue moon", and she has the right to drop the project and not open the code up to everyone. I would be sad, but I would respect her wishes, as much as I might disagree with them.

As you may be able to tell, I'm in favour of modders having their rights, and I don't think people in the community should try and force things on them, which is what I see you attempting to do at this point. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Edit: You realise she does have something to lose, her job? She's a full-time engineer, and I doubt her employers would take kindly to her taking time off to work on a mod for a game.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I do indeed believe modders should have their rights however, I do not place them on the pedestal that everyone else does. I come from an era of open source modding where problems like this seldom ever arose. To provide an example: Homeworld 2, a game I cherish that still to this day has a rather active modding community, if you are unfamiliar with the modding scene there I suggest you check it out. If I had an issue, I could easily resolve it myself by either contacting the developer, or incorporating their content into a working version of a similar mod so long as I had given credit where credit was due.

You'll have to excuse me if I expect the same form of open friendliness and, respect other mod developers have shown the fans of their work for years. Citing the same game, there is a Stargate mod that has gone into a slow update cycle as of late. Its developers constantly interact with the users of their mod, not only that, they host a simple forum which serves to further placate their users. These are French speaking high school students whom I feel show their fans a great degree of respect.

You have asked me to show her respect where I feel little has been earned. Don't take this the wrong way, I respect her work. In fact, I value it, or I would not have worked so adamantly on further addressing a few issues brought up by the RedPower Tweaks unofficial addon. She doesn't have to hand over her project entirely, merely communicate with those of us willing to help.

I will continue to voice my complains until the issue is addressed or, squashed entirely. Such is the nature of forums, Facebook pages, or any place where one is allowed to voice complaints publicly. That's how change happens in the first place.

In the end, I will accept her wishes should she decide to continue working alone. I'm not about to go on some tirade harassing the poor girl as I've already seen done on the Minecraft forums. I'll continue to make formal requests until a decision is made one way or the other, as I would hope anyone else would be doing.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
What is so dammed difficult about following this example, precisely: "I'm too busy with my full time job to continue working on Redpower 2 and, I need help from the community. Would anyone like to help me port Redpower 2?"

If that was the situation thin she might have made such a post. But she sees Redpower 2 as "her baby" and refuses to let others help.
And from my own observations she's hell bent to do things absolutely her own way. And dousen't seem to want to make exceptions even at the determent of her own mod.
She's like some kind of mad sci... mod developer.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not about to go on some tirade harassing the poor girl as I've already seen done on the Minecraft forums.

This is an odd statement... your posts suggest otherwise...
  1. "Eloraam's inability to continue working on Redpower 2"
  2. "she hasn't fixed several glaring issues with Redpower"
  3. "What is so dammed difficult about..."
  4. "her illogical, reclusive approach to the situation"
  5. "The rate of which she updates is adorably sluggish"
  6. "I find her attitude regarding the situation pompous"
  7. "You have asked me to show her respect where I feel little has been earned"
  8. "It being her choice doesn't stop it from being a bad choice"
Pretty sure most people would view this as harassment.

hyp·o·crite [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

EddieW

Jul 29, 2019
One nice thing is that the other mod makers have decided not to wait for Elo to produce another version. Take a look at the mod Immibis just released. Also, ChickenBones is creating his own API so he can put out a version of Wireless Redstone without RP.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...placement-for-rp2-wiringlogiccontrollighting/

Just spotted this replacement for frames as well (sorry if it's been mentioned already, loooong thread to read): http://forums.technicpack.net/threa...n-redpower-frames-0-0-2-0-june-19-beta.47048/

I'm a strong supporter of both RedPower and Eloraam - the mod is fantastic, I probably have more fun with it than any of the other single mods within FTB ultimate and I think she deserves a lot of praise for implementing so many cool ideas before anyone else. But... that was quite a while ago. The long wait and her quiet attitude is undermining confidence, and if she's going to catch up it would really help if she said something, even if it was weekly updates saying "Spent a few hours on it this week, some progress with xyz." Otherwise other mods will just take over her ideas one at a time, they'll end up in FTB, and poor old RedPower will be quietly forgotten.

I'm happy to see other modders providing viable alternatives (especially for frames) because I am lusting for the other things that come with 1.5-1.6, but I will feel a little bad if Eloraam gets left out while other people take her ideas forward.

Iskiro

Jul 29, 2019
I will continue to voice my complains until the issue is addressed or, squashed entirely. Such is the nature of forums, Facebook pages, or any place where one is allowed to voice complaints publicly. That's how change happens in the first place.

Psi, you are looking at the problem in the wrong manner yet you said it right here. Change is the key word for the situation. Maybe the community should be the one to change and find other mods to replace RP2. I'd hate to see RP2 go away as well but getting upset over it wont help. Ranting and bashing Elo for her updates won't help the process either. Even if she updated you weekly, you would still find a reason to be upset with her. She clearly doesn't like being in the lime light and that is her choice. If you don't like how she does the work on her mod then move on to another mod or mods. Like others have stated, there are plenty of mods that are starting to replace RP2.

For the record, I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion. I'm just saying take the emotion you have for RP2 out of the equation. It really seems to have blinded many people about the fact that it is her right and choice to do what she wishes with her mod.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if FTB just stopped making their packs? What if DW20 stopped making youtube videos? Would you sit here and beg them to continue? No, the community will move on and find a replacement. The bottom line I'm trying to make is, the past and present will fuel the future. Something will evolve from this situation just be patient.

Reactions: YasukiHumai

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure most people would view this as harassment.

I'm pretty sure if most people called that harassment a great many people would be in jail. That is what is called criticism, and he's not getting up in her face yelling at her on her twitter or whatever lines of communication Elo still has open. He's stating it simply in the forum and it's far from vicious.

I happen to think it would be a wonderful thing if the modding community for Minecraft moved away from RedPower. It's a great mod without a doubt, but it's been something that's constantly slowed down the creation of many a mod pack. Sure it would be nice if she let some people help her out, I doubt it'll ever happen, and so I really hope that the modding scene moves on without RedPower. If she puts out another that'd be great, if someone else makes a mod similar to RedPower that'd be great too, and at the end of the day we all love Modded Minecraft.

buzyb77

Jul 29, 2019
And nope unless it hits this weekend no Redpower 1.5.x anything version. Redpower 1.6.x version....only time will tell but I am guessing if she misses the 1.6.x versions when 1.7.x comes out other mods will do redpowers role much much better.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
And nope unless it hits this weekend no Redpower 1.5.x anything version. Redpower 1.6.x version....only time will tell but I am guessing if she misses the 1.6.x versions when 1.7.x comes out other mods will do redpowers role much much better.
With the mod API coming 'soon' - you can use outdated mods with the current version of the game. So once it's converted to 1.6 - it's all downhill from there. Assuming they did as they said they were going to, and write 1.6 with the mod api in mind.

EDIT: To fix typo

Shyhalu

Jul 29, 2019
For the record, I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion. I'm just saying take the emotion you have for RP2 out of the equation. It really seems to have blinded many people about the fact that it is her right and choice to do what she wishes with her mod.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if FTB just stopped making their packs? What if DW20 stopped making youtube videos? Would you sit here and beg them to continue? No, the community will move on and find a replacement. The bottom line I'm trying to make is, the past and present will fuel the future. Something will evolve from this situation just be patient.

Maybe she doesn't want to? It his her right, to choose who does and does not use her code/textures etc.
She has clearly stated that she intends to update RP2, so your theoretical situation doesn't even apply here.

Then its our right to continually criticize her for doing something so selfish as not handing off or getting help on a project she can no longer handle.
People invest massive amounts of time and sometimes even money into this, she has an obligation to the community to provide proper and timely updates. If she can not fulfill that obligation and will not hand it off, then she is subject to the criticism from the people she is essentially screwing over for choosing to support her.

This is where the emotion comes from, and it doesn't need to be taken out. People have a right to be angry as they watch their time and effort be wiped away for no logical reason.

If FTB stopped making the packs, I could still play the server.
If DW20 stopped making videos, I can change the channel.
Neither of those involve destroying a world people have put months of work into.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Then its our right to continually criticize her
NOTHING gives you the right to criticize someone. You can voice your opinion, and we know it. Discussion over.

People invest massive amounts of time and sometimes even money into this, she has an obligation to the community to provide proper and timely updates.
Did you pay her? No. Then she doesn't have ANY obligation to anyone. If you used it and "spent a bunch of time on your world using her mod" - that's YOUR problem, not hers. She did it as a favor.

People have a right to be angry as they watch their time and effort be wiped away for no logical reason.
Did she post anywhere that she'll continue supporting her mod until the day she dies? No, then stuff it.

[
If FTB stopped making the packs, I could still play the server.
If DW20 stopped making videos, I can change the channel.
Neither of those involve destroying a world people have put months of work into.
How is that her problem? It seems to be YOUR problem

Grow up.

Reactions: Tim_NZ and Nerixel

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Your world will still be there. You just won't be able to play with the new toys.
And from what I hear it won't matter. 1.6 xycraft will kill old worlds anyway. :/

Shyhalu

Jul 29, 2019
NOTHING gives you the right to criticize someone. You can voice your opinion, and we know it. Discussion over.

Did you pay her? No. Then she doesn't have ANY obligation to anyone. If you used it and "spent a bunch of time on your world using her mod" - that's YOUR problem, not hers. She did it as a favor.

Did she post anywhere that she'll continue supporting her mod until the day she dies? No, then stuff it.

How is that her problem? It seems to be YOUR problem

Grow up.

Criticism - the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything.

How does one claim I have no right to criticize, then tell me I can voice my opinion.....which is criticism...

I would give you a well thought out post, but your comment is riddled with biased zealous fanboism. So there is really no point.

So instead, I'll ask you why don't you tell her to grow up instead? Holding back a community, potentially causing many server restarts, etc because she won't enlist help or release the project? How is that acting like an adult? Answer that, or at the very least wipe the brown off your nose.[DOUBLEPOST=1371972077][/DOUBLEPOST]
Your world will still be there. You just won't be able to play with the new toys.
And from what I hear it won't matter. 1.6 xycraft will kill old worlds anyway. :/

I'm well aware that it will still be there......

And that is totally a solution. Just stop updating. Might as well go back to playing vanilla 1.0

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Criticism - the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything.
Fair enough; then quit whining about it. We get it.

I would give you a well thought out post, but your comment is riddled with biased zealous fanboism. So there is really no point.
OMG! Someone disagrees with me, so I'll call them a fanboi! Well, here's clue: I'm not even using Red Power. I found replacements. I went "dang, I liked red power. Oh well." If you look through various posts, you'll even find several of my posts - one of which says "anyone seen a decent replacement for tubes - I liked pneumatic tubes".

So instead, I'll ask you why don't you tell her to grow up instead?
No, she's not the one here whining. If she was here whining about how someone is whining about her project, then I'd tell her to grow up.

Holding back a community, potentially causing many server restarts, etc because she won't enlist help or release the project? How is that acting like an adult? Answer that, or at the very least wipe the brown off your nose.
Who's being held back, except some dumbass that keeps whining on these boards? Most of us have found replacement mods; there's even a post somewhere in this thread (I believe it was) where someone said 'here's all the mods I used to replace everything in Redpower."

And why does she have to find help? It's her project - if you don't like it; don't use it.

And that is totally a solution. Just stop updating. Might as well go back to playing vanilla 1.0
Please do.

Reactions: Eyamaz and Nerixel
Status
Not open for further replies.